• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conservative business attire for anti-war protests

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a recent protest on Savile Row:

It makes you wonder what happened to the good ol' days when troublemakers turned up dressed for the part:

Mrs Vlad should've reminded him about the pocket square though. And it is a bit sloppy keeping a DB coat open like that, even when you are wearing a waistcoat.

This collar is rather well turned out however:

And here he is almost a dandy:

The guy obviously had an eye for the latest Western fashions - in more than one sense...
laugh.gif

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator

It makes you wonder what happened to the good ol' days when troublemakers turned up dressed for the part:

I don't think that a person is a troublemaker or communist because they protest the Iraq war.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
IMHO, Operation Iraqi Freedom was a complete success. The great mistake was staying on after Brummer had captured the former Iraqi leader and the U.S. was convinced weapons of mass destruction were beyond locability (new word?).
boxing[1].gif

Originally Posted by LabelKing
Anyone should have known that a war called "Operation Iraqi Freedom" would be a failure.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Sad indeed to see the paragons of sartorial standards no longer wear hats and upright collars. Morning dress in the City would have been more appropriate, too. And that English rose would look so lovely with a floral hat.
bigstar[1].gif

...<snip>...

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Sator, are you sure jackets should be buttoned up when one has a waistcoat on?

I thought I saw an early 20th Century wedding photo of the British dukes with watch chains clearly seen on their waistcoats somewhere.
bigstar[1].gif

...<snip>...

Mrs Vlad should've reminded him about the pocket square though. And it is a bit sloppy keeping a DB coat open like that, even when you are wearing a waistcoat.
...<snip>...

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Happy Stroller
Sator, are you sure jackets should be buttoned up when one has a waistcoat on? I thought I saw an early 20th Century wedding photo of the British dukes with watch chains clearly seen on their waistcoats somewhere.
That's why I said:
And it is a bit sloppy keeping a DB coat open like that, even when you are wearing a waistcoat.
Gospodin (Mister or Sire) NYET....I mean Tovarish (Comrade) Lenin is quite right to leave his coat open as he is wearing a waistcoat. However, he is wearing a DB coat, which tends to look untidy when worn open, whereas an SB still looks perfectly neat worn open.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
I don't think that a person is a troublemaker or communist because they protest the Iraq war.
Did I say that? DA! Tovarish Lenin say to us to 'beat our swords into ploughshares'. But comrade say wear lounge suits at least when protesting. Tavarish say big NET! to dressing like crap for protest: Beloved comrade lead by example and wears nice little red boutonniere:

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is a true dandy trouble-maker--Felix Feneon, the French anarchist and art critic.
feneon.jpg
When he was brought before a judge for firearms charges, the judge said: "You know you had on you everything you need to commit a murder"? Feneon replied: "Yes, but I also had on me everything I needed to commit a ****".

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Here is a true dandy trouble-maker--Felix Feneon, the French anarchist and art critic. http://locus-solus-fr.net/img/feneon.jpg When he was brought before a judge for firearms charges, the judge said: "You know you had on you everything you need to commit a murder"? Feneon replied: "Yes, but I also had on me everything I needed to commit a ****".
Excellent tobarish - my comrade! I like it. Here is another candidate for another troublemaker-dandy. He read anarchists like Feuerbach, and had an arrest warrant out for his participation in liberal uprisings in Germany: Richard Wagner. Sadly, he is remembered for the misuse of his music as propaganda by the facists. Forever in dept, he borrowed and spent money like water on expensive clothes and perfumes. Look at the silk facings - and the piping, if that wasn't enough - on this frock coat. I've never seen silk with such intricately quilted texture quite like that before, although Oscar Wilde and the aesthetes all wore similar quilted silk lapels. Quite extravagant for its time, Wagner makes Oscar Wilde look the very model of English understatement: Here is Wilde in aesthetic dress for comparison - notice the pleated facings: I am unsure what this coat is. It may even just be an extravagant smoking jacket with silk lapels:

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Happy Stroller
Sad indeed to see the paragons of sartorial standards no longer wear hats and upright collars. Morning dress in the City would have been more appropriate, too. And that English rose would look so lovely with a floral hat.
bigstar[1].gif

And if you are a native of Shanghai you may be the only one amongst us who has Communist Party membership. One of the reasons for the sorry decline of morning dress is due to propaganda which has depicted it as the de facto uniform of the Greedy Rich Capitalist:

And here you are telling us in the West to wear morning dress in place of the highly proleteriat lounge suit as worn by "Tob. Lenin" (Com. Lenin as it says in the poster)
smile.gif
!

DeSica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I guess "FREE LEONARD PELTIER" just doesn't make it anymore.

Didn't Little Steven write a song about Peltier? Now there's a guy who cleans up nice in a suit (Little Steven....though I imagine Peltier would look spiffy in a nice suit, too.)

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
I'm curious. When people use the phrase "Democrat" politicians and "Democrat" party, is it a deliberate attempt to insult?

It's a matter of semantics and a way of not ceding the word "democratic" to the Democrats. A Republican is a member of the Republican party. A Democrat is a member of the Democrat party, not the Democratic party.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
It's a matter of semantics and a way of not ceding the word "democratic" to the Democrats. A Republican is a member of the Republican party. A Democrat is a member of the Democrat party, not the Democratic party.
I'm a whig - nobody bothes me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads