• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charvet Shirts Question

G

Griffindork

I don't understand what you are arguing. He cannot select from Charvet's shirt fabrics without visiting Paris, and he says he cannot visit. You just admitted above that a key reason to pick Charvet as a shirtmaker is access to their fabric collection in Paris.

Since the OP will also not be getting a Charvet fit, he is getting nothing from Charvet that makes Charvet special--except for nicely done construction. Do you think Charvet construction is so much better than Ascot Chang's as to warrant spending hundreds of dollars extra per shirt?

He didn't say he can't visit paris. He said he can't go get measured now and he said it will be a very long time before he can go visit in paris. If at some point in the future he can go, having a pattern on file at that point opens the door to the fabric room. Nothing about doing that, and sacrificing fit to do it, would be crazy.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

He didn't say he can't visit paris. He said he can't go get measured now and he said it will be a very long time before he can go visit in paris. If at some point in the future he can go, having a pattern on file at that point opens the door to the fabric room. Nothing about doing that, and sacrificing fit to do it, would be crazy.

Yes it is crazy. He can avoid sacrificing fit until he can get to Paris by using his current shirtmaker. There is near zero benefit to asking Charvet to copy a shirt he already likes, while paying a huge premium for it, and not getting to pick from their fabric selection. I mean, how the hell is he going to tell them what fabric to use now? Just pick from one of the standard books and tell them the code? How is that better than Ascot Chang?

chiefhk

Reaction score
I'm actually trying to see if there's someone in Paris that can help make the trip to Charvet to help pick a fabric etc. Not ideal....but this whole process unfortunately isn't an ideal one......

Definitely appreciate the thoughts and insights, unfortunately I don't even know if that option is available and if Charvet would actually be willing to do something like that....

G

Griffindork

Yes it is crazy. He can avoid sacrificing fit until he can get to Paris by using his current shirtmaker. There is near zero benefit to asking Charvet to copy a shirt he already likes, while paying a huge premium for it, and not getting to pick from their fabric selection. I mean, how the hell is he going to tell them what fabric to use now? Just pick from one of the standard books and tell them the code? How is that better than Ascot Chang?

You don't know that he is sacrificing fit. First fabric is a limited choice anyway. They can send a swatch, or he can select a color and weave and defer to Charvet. I've already described why it isn't crazy and that rationale still stands. Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.

Last edited by a moderator:

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, this is sounding worse and worse.

I agree with Foo 100%. It would make some sense to have a Far East shirtmakers copying a bespoke Charvet shirt but not the way around. I have tried many shirtmakers and all create me shirt that fitted my body in a different way. Even remaining in the realm of comfort fit etc, fo example the shoulder point and armscye cut will affect a lot mobility and comfort within visually similar fit.

Having Charvet creating a bespoke shirt would be in the hope of using their expertise to fit my body in the best way (the reference of aggiiffy to his Charvet shoulder seem being different just confirm that, they would have done that on aggiiffy body, not be copying another shirt).

So OP, do not do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads