• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing/upgrading favourite corduroys

montgn

Reaction score
Hi all, first time long time etc.

I wondered if anyone had any favourite brands for casual corduroy trousers (pants)? I really like my brown pair from Marks & Spencer, which are very basic 98% cotton/2% elastane needlecord five pocket pants (see photo), but after a couple of years of frequent wear they’re starting to look a bit scruffy in ways that aren’t easily repairable.

They’ve served me well as a nice textured alternative to jeans, and I like their slim-ish cut and slightly elasticised waistband. You might say “if you like them so much, why not just get the same ones again?” HOWEVER
  1. M&S are notoriously inconsistent in size, materials and styling between seasons
  2. I’ve been gradually replacing my wardrobe with higher quality pieces, trying to be more mindful of fabrics and construction
I’m not one of those people obsessed with durability, but I imagine pants made with more attention to detail and from better materials than a standard department store pair would last longer and ultimately be more sustainable.

With those things in mind, money is no object as I’m willing to save up, and also feel confident shopping sales and secondhand. Brands I’ve looked at include Sunspel, Drake’s, Incotex, and I would even consider high-end makers like Loro Piana/Brunello Cucinelli if people think they’re worth it. Any recommendations would be great! Thanks.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wondered if anyone had any favourite brands for casual corduroy trousers (pants)? I really like my brown pair from Marks & Spencer, which are very basic 98% cotton/2% elastane needlecord five pocket pants (see photo), but after a couple of years of frequent wear they’re starting to look a bit scruffy in ways that aren’t easily repairable.

They’ve served me well as a nice textured alternative to jeans, and I like their slim-ish cut and slightly elasticised waistband. You might say “if you like them so much, why not just get the same ones again?” HOWEVER
  1. M&S are notoriously inconsistent in size, materials and styling between seasons
  2. I’ve been gradually replacing my wardrobe with higher quality pieces, trying to be more mindful of fabrics and construction
I’m not one of those people obsessed with durability, but I imagine pants made with more attention to detail and from better materials than a standard department store pair would last longer and ultimately be more sustainable.

With those things in mind, money is no object as I’m willing to save up, and also feel confident shopping sales and secondhand. Brands I’ve looked at include Sunspel, Drake’s, Incotex, and I would even consider high-end makers like Loro Piana/Brunello Cucinelli if people think they’re worth it. Any recommendations would be great! Thanks.
I have several pairs from Todd Snyder, and they're by far my favorite corduroys.
I'm 6' 165 and the fit is dialed in on me.
The fabric is extremely soft.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just got a pair from Luxire. They have great fabric choices and it turned out well.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two casual 5-pocket style cord trousers that I'd recommend and are similar to your M&S trousers:

Wythe New York - Bedford cord trousers
Doppiaa - Aacero model

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Following this thread.

I have owned several pairs of Brooks Brothers fine-wale milano fit corduruy pants...but my last pair has died.

Unfortunately they only sell wide-wale versions nowadays. Would love to get a similar pant again. Basically want something that leans casual (but not a 5-pocket) and stays relatively trim--the BB pants had a pinch of stretch which made the cut work for me. Not looking for the baggier + wide wale look right now.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three pairs of Incotex fine whale cords with 3% elastine. They are super comfortable, especially when traveling on long flights. I then bought a pair of Incotex corduroy on sale that was 100% cotton and was disappointed. The little bit of "give" is not only more comfortable it feels softer than 100% cotton.

I previously had two suits made from cotton and cashmere and I loved their soft feel. I went to get a new corduroy suit made and the cotton/Elastine blend felt almost as soft and comfortable at half the price. Once I wore the suit, I found I enjoyed the cotton/Elastine blend more than cotton/cashmere because of the "give".

Webbo

Reaction score
I have three pairs of Incotex fine whale cords with 3% elastine. They are super comfortable, especially when traveling on long flights. I then bought a pair of Incotex corduroy on sale that was 100% cotton and was disappointed. The little bit of "give" is not only more comfortable it feels softer than 100% cotton.

I previously had two suits made from cotton and cashmere and I loved their soft feel. I went to get a new corduroy suit made and the cotton/Elastine blend felt almost as soft and comfortable at half the price. Once I wore the suit, I found I enjoyed the cotton/Elastine blend more than cotton/cashmere because of the "give".
if you are in the UK Spoke are the answer. https://spoke-london.com/products/fawn-cord-fives

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Baby Corduroy makes a beautiful shirt.
I have some 5 pockets Corduroy bottoms from AG that I wear all winter
20240217_091231.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A needless luxury unless you are built strangely, but NsM and Ambrosi do lovely things with softer wide-wale cords. And the usual Savile Row crowd will use the heavier books to make trousers that will outlive the cotton, and fit perfectly while doing it.

LeonVince

Reaction score
My absolutely best pairs of corduroy pants are made by Rota, 100 % cotton Brisbane Moss fabric. I have both Rota Sport, casual but really good and Rota Sartorial, top notch🙌
Rota pantaloni also have a configurator with lots of options, different materials, pleats or no pleats, high waisted or mid rise, different fits, belt or buttons, zipper or button fly etc etc. All we/you can ask for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads