• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brass buttons for Blazer - or not?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious about the concensus for the darker metal buttons in leiu of brass ones.
903M_Navy_th.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ The buttons in that picture of the BB Regent blazer have a conspicuous BB logo on them. A button with a conspicuous corporate logo is a bad button, and there's not that much room for error with buttons on a navy blazer.

But ... it's easy enough to find more perfect metal buttons. And I like darker metal buttons a lot, esp. in antique silver or pewter. The photo is close but no cigar for me.

So when I bought that Regent blazer, I also bought a set of better antique silver buttons to go with it. And FWIW the blazer came not with those buttons in the picture but with bright, shiny, gold-colored BB logo buttons. I'm not sure what's up with the buttons not being as advertised.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get your own ones engraved. In gold plated brass of course, silver and solid brass both require too much polishing, and fake brass lightweight metals feel like plastic. I'm from the old fashioned camp that says a blazer is only a blazer if it has nice shiny buttons.

Caminobutton.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
And FWIW the blazer came not with those buttons in the picture but with bright, shiny, gold-colored BB logo buttons. I'm not sure what's up with the buttons not being as advertised.

As you state, the Regent buttons shown in the ads and on the web are not what is actually on the jackets. I found this out when I went to try on a Regent and was immediately turned off by the hideously shiny buttons. Even worse for me was the fit of the jacket. It's supposed to be slim-fit but my size was way too full for me.

Mame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed
Double breasted jackets go back far more than the "80's"
Unless you're thinking 1780's - which would be more appropriate.

It's a classic look, and looks well on most anyone that can carry it's more "authoritative" posture. Not for the shy or meek.
It requires a more exacting fit too - that's why there have been so many failures, for lack of a good tailor.

It's my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. Just as i don't have to agree with yours.

And i am well aware of the history of double breasted jackets, no need to try to patronise me.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mame
It's my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. Just as i don't have to agree with yours.

And i am well aware of the history of double breasted jackets, no need to try to patronise me.

Well you see that's what happens when you make sweeping assertions about something as classic as a DB jacket. In particular the claim that it looks good on "no one." In fact it looks very good on a lot of men if the jacket is well cut. I'll grant you it doesn't work too well on small men but on just about everyone else it looks good and in some cases looks exceptional. You are of course welcome to your opinion but many fashion aficionadoes just don't share it.

Mame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
Well you see that's what happens when you make sweeping assertions about something as classic as a DB jacket. In particular the claim that it looks good on "no one." In fact it looks very good on a lot of men if the jacket is well cut. I'll grant you it doesn't work too well on small men but on just about everyone else it looks good and in some cases looks exceptional. You are of course welcome to your opinion but many fashion aficionadoes just don't share it.

Fashion, as with art and music, are subject to opinion. i simply stated my opinion.
Now john, can we just relax and not take it so personaly, and get back to topic.

sfo423

Reaction score
Get pewter buttons with a lions head or something on it for the winter navy blazer. Everyone and their gay brother that works at Nordstrom has brass/brass colored.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at blazers yesterday. I saw a three button, Brioni in a lightweight navy twill with "B" enamel gold or brass buttons. It had a single vent and two flap pockets.

I have been completely removed from brass buttons on blue blazers for 15+ years. I felt they made any guy over 35 look ten years older. But, I have to say that the thought of adding one to my rotation of blazers is now appealing. It would be fun for days when I want to let my old-school, NY, preppy flag fly (in an Italian sort of way).

16520Man

Reaction score
I generally dislike metal buttons, so much that I've "converted" blazers to sport jackets with button changes. I chose to keep these on this week's blazer damage. Navy Black Fleece linen:

BlackFleece03.jpg

BlackFleece04.jpg

John Ellis

Reaction score
This goes on forever. Unless you have brass buttons technically it's not a blazer it's an odd blue jacket. Nothing wrong with that, I have odd blue jackets with plain blue horn buttons but they are NOT blazers! So having got that out of the way we can move onto the question of buttons. Nothing works as well with a navy blue blazer as brass buttons. This has been worked out over centuries but for some reason we think Calvin Klein is going to improve on it. Pewter ones are ok but they don't have quite the pizaazz of brass. If you must have pewter buttons go with a green blazer that uniquely American invention where they actually look quite good. Now back to the brass buttons to go with your navy blue blazer. I'm going to assume you don't want to look like a refugee from the local shriners club so as a general rule the simpler the better. If you want a fairly elaborate motif on the buttons, that's fine but keep it as muted as possible. One of my blazers has buttons with a motif of St George slaying the dragon but it's very muted. Sorry to sound so doctrinaire about all this but it's blazers 101. Trust me if you start playing about with the basic rules you're going to kick yourself in 20years time as you look at pictures of yourself wearing the blue blazer with the ?????? buttons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads