• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brass buttons for Blazer - or not?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two navy winter and two navy summer blazers, all SB 3 button 2.5 with MOP buttons and I'm toying with the idea of having brass buttons sewn on one of the summer jackets. I haven't liked this look for a long time now but am slowly warming to it, especially as I already have one spare jacket.

I imagine it would look like this.

Any thoughts?

Attachment 10169

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think MOP buttons are great for summer blazers, not so much on fall/winter blazers. If I were you, I would swap buttons on one of the cool weather coats.

I also have two fall/winter blazers. One has brass buttons, the other blue horn (which makes it technically not a blazer).

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That does make sense - heavier button for a heavier fabric. Thanks. Three are cashmere and one of the warm weather ones is a 'summer' cashmere, which might possibly take a brass button.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer enameled buttons on all my blazers. Smoked MOP is elegant, but quite fragile, I gather.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not

DeadDJ

Reaction score
This depends strongly on personal preference. GQ acknowledges that the brass button trend moves in and out at will. At this point they say it's in, though the clear implication is that in the past it was out and in the immediate future it will probably be out again.

Be strong on your choice and it will be fine.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
GQ acknowledges that the brass button trend moves in and out at will. At this point they say it's in, though the clear implication is that in the past it was out and in the immediate future it will probably be out again.

I think GQ needs to be thoroughly ignore in all counts.

I too prefer enamelled buttons, but MOP is also nice. I think enamel allows you to wear buttons with a fancy pattern but which still look substantially more understated than anything in plain brass.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone on here had special buttons made so that you could change the face on them (ie make it brass or another material very quickly). I thought that was rather clever.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope to never, ever be caught in a blazer with brass buttons, no matter how old I may become in this lifetime.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I hope to never, ever be caught in a blazer with brass buttons, no matter how old I may become in this lifetime.
+1. Just say no

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I looked at BB blazers today. To me, the gold buttons are hideous. Seeing them killed my interest in the blazers, completely.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loathe brass buttons on navy blazers, it's a little too country club for my taste. I prefer nice dark blue buttons to blend in.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised by all the brass haters here. Not that I'm complaining: I don't like brass buttons, either. If I had to choose a metal for blazer buttons, I'd go with pewter. I don't, however, so I've gone with vintage smoked MOP. And don't worry, Jan: I almost never wear the thing, so I'll almost never need to clean it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads