• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boy do I need advice on slacks...

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am really hoping that you can lend me your wisdom. Here's the deal: I just switched careers, leaving academia for a professional government post where I will be working in an office each day. This means no more dressy jeans and chinos for me... As I work my way through the stores, I came to realize two things: 1) I know very little about how slacks ought to fit (and what issues can and cannot be fixed by a tailor); and 2) that most slacks don't fit me well because I have big hips and big thighs and bum from years of playing lacrosse.

I have purchased a bunch of slacks that seem reasonable, and I'm hoping to get your take on them. Once I narrow down which ones have a good fit (understanding that some alterations are in order), I'll purchase more and head to the tailor. I promise, I'll pay your help forward once I learn a bit more about pants!

Below is a breakdown of each pair that I bought, followed by labeled photos. Thank you - Michael!!!
  1. Brooks Brothers Regent 1818
  2. Neiman Marcus Traditional Fit
  3. Zanella Donnie
  4. Theory Cody2
  5. Lauren Ralph wool/cashmere mix flat front
  6. Lauren Ralph Lauren classic fit ultra flex
1) Brooks Brothers Regent 1818

7tZgJmvkSN6PSsFBdPV+GQ.jpg 9HYXOYhVT4OqkN9OTbz0sA.jpg UrVJ3NnGT5OsHaYjDLSjXA.jpg

2) Neiman Marcus Traditional Fit

rHTMRelATsiwp8HpZJ9DzQ.jpg R5ulazeJR8a04NQcVAoIsA.jpg jxRzwWQVSMyWBofbsPC+iA.jpg 8uTlhflYTDqkPzbuOGiEIQ.jpg

3) Zanella Donnie

6EeQGzA9R1CmB7cN4EU2pA.jpg PUt7AAh1RamMaX9cPkXkoQ.jpg E70a0GfRSOabrkOKmT3N4g.jpg xHYW4tfzTX2eGN7zBdpdQA.jpg
(looks like a different pant but it's just the lighting. This is useful because there is some wrinkling in the first rear photo from bringing them home).

4) Theory Cody2
CTIPnfQGT7iTuE+asrZ6KA.jpg O2P9G0nGRG+VABYPcS%lbQ.jpg A%vNb4FNQg26AI0DDkwnpQ.jpg

5) Lauren Ralph wool/cashmere mix flat front

%r084WKmScWjXhaugvXvuQ.jpg RGiuTLQ8Tougx%QdR5ipPA.jpg
(I accidentally deleted the rear photo on these but it looked good.)

6) Lauren Ralph Lauren classic fit ultra flex

OYJ+u7aZS7yJIQYc8Td43A.jpg soC87g6jSriJQPxUHAGTMg.jpg 1nt5v0wiS16kGeoEMADkLw.jpg

Thanks again!!!!!!!
Michael

Attachments

• F81ENtcZTBOzuZOO2gp1Mw.jpg
    F81ENtcZTBOzuZOO2gp1Mw.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 or 5, because the others definitely are too small. Probably 5, because 2 is much too long, necessitating tailoring.

Anachronist

Reaction score
2 looks best to me regarding fit. Wouldn't worry about the price of having the length adjusted. This shouldn't cost a fortune (15-20 bucks max if you bring it to a tailor), often this is included in the pri e when you buy an unhemmed trouser.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads