• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$300ish ebay/used suit advice?

AstonSenna

Reaction score
So I'm looking to add a full suit to my wardrobe. I'm 29, 5'10" and 160 pounds.
Have a kinda over the top flashy vulgar blue blazer and then a cheap patterned black suit that i bought at men's wearhouse. At least it was half off lol.

I usually find my shoulders fit a 38 the best. 36 is usually too tight in the chest and can't hug anyone.

So I want a decent full suit to wear to events and gatherings , and also to a wedding weekend coming up in late winter. I'm pretty good with finding stuff on ebay, but am unsure of what brands would be suggested on here for my price range of $200-250 and a good slim fit to start with (and yes, will plan on spending an additional $100 ish on further tailoring to factor in as well :) ).

A few I have found that I'm watching right now in the $200-250 range:

-Ted Baker London Jay Trim Fit suit (the one that's currently sold new at nordstrom)

-various Brooks Brothers 1818 made in usa milano and fitzgerald fit suits.

-SuitSupply Lazio and Sienna. I think their Washington suit is perhaps a little aggressive.

but i also have found, for $300 and up, some Corneliani, Ralph Lauren Black Label, and Burberry stuff that looks really nice (both made in italy lines), if these are considered upgrades worth going up to, or more or less the same as the others.

Thank you thank you! Look forward to looking good 😎

AstonSenna

Reaction score
You can probably find a Polo Ralph Lauren "Made in Italy" suit on ebay for around $250. I think they were made by Corneliani.
Do they fit well, though? I'm pretty thin. When i think of polo ralph lauren, my mind things big and baggy from what i've seen at macy's over the years.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The green label “Lauren Ralph Lauren” at Macy’s has nothing to do with Polo Ralph Lauren. Confusing, I know.
The blue label Polo Ralph Lauren is a good cut. Agree that 38R is probably a good size for you.

Black Label is a little more structured in the shoulders. It is distinctive and not everyone likes it. Burberry is more fashion (skinny lapels, quite slim). Corneliani is a little all over the place depending on the cut. Brooks Brothers 1818 is a good choice at $300 or less; I like Regent and Fitzgerald. Milano is quite slim IIRC and I’m pretty slim myself (5’10” 145 lb).

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they fit well, though? I'm pretty thin. When i think of polo ralph lauren, my mind things big and baggy from what i've seen at macy's over the years.
Won't be as slim fitting as suit supply but with a bit of tailoring you'll have a classic and very good quality suit (much moreso than the Ralph Lauren you'd currently find at Macy's). Sizing on ebay can be tricky so don't be afraid to ask the seller for measurements! Make sure the shoulders and jacket length are to your liking as they're more difficult/expensive to alter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads