• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are we snobs?

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My lady friend thinks the way I dress, and the fact that I dress well, is hot.

Occasionally we play a game called, "Would You Still Love Me / Do Me If?" The game consists of pointing to some ugly or atrociously attired person and asking the question. The answer is always no; the fun consists in alternately making and watching the horrified expressions that result from viewing the offensive person in question.

But we played that game even before I started lurking here. Then again, we're young and sarcastic, so your mileage may vary.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigHandMan
I'm tired of seeing guys like Bill Belichick and Andy Reid look absolutely comical in their officially licensed garb.

Bill Belichick is actually pretty decently dressed -- for an NFL coach at any rate -- away from the football field. He only looks homeless while doing his job on Sunday.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm both salt of the earth and a savage snob. If I see someone making an effort, particularly someone who is obviously not financially blessed, I appreciate that effort. But if someone is flaunting their wealth/can't be bothered to dress appropriately/is trying way too hard, I've been known to hit them with a cruelly disapproving glance. If it's really bad, I might even slap them with a slightly raised eyebrow.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Maybe. Does it really matter if others think that? I prefer to think that we are intellectually curious and mutually supportive.

2. Bemusement is the more frequent response than criticism. My wife shops at Target and KMart - she just doesn't get spending $ks for a suit or hundreds for shoes. Since I finance it all myself out of my savings, she lets me do what I like.

Newton

Reaction score
Lately I have caught myself acting like a snob and have been toning it down a little. I can't re-order someone else's priorities.

I do however take exception to people who try to share any sort of wayward opinion with me about clothes. Keep it to yourself to save embarrassment, friend!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I am far from a snob. I am willing to enlighten anyone and elevate their style to an acceptable level.

2. Do not bring it up with women, they notice but I always play it off. The girl I was dating when I started my forum found out about it and her comment about what i was doing and the community was shocking, even if it was amusing.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Bill Belichick is actually pretty decently dressed away from the football field.
untitled5mo.png

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Bandwagonesque just posted the best answer...

But I have to say that there's a big difference between being a snob to yourself (in your own head) or just between yourself and your partner and actually being so rude as to tell people they dress poorly. I am most definitely a snob in my head and wife my wife (and perhaps one or two other friends) but would never actually share even the most polite version of what I'm thinking (i.e. You know traditionally a tuxedo does not have notched lapels.)

b

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are we snobs? The fact itself that you're asking yourself this question is the living proof that ,deep down you're not a snob!!!!
A mad person never has any doubts about her own sanity ,the same way an idiot never doubts of his own intelligence or ability to perform any task....
The real snob will never admit to being a snob ,he will find different concepts to justify his (sometimes delusional) perceived superiority...
We're all snobs to different degrees ....

Morris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Yes

Yes - sometimes. But I am the first person she will seek sartorial advice from. And she listens to me too.

Re Question 1. Snob? Absolutely. To be any other way is to settle. We are limited by our knowledge and means ... it is easier to accumulate the former, but if you are fortunate enough to have a meager amount of both ... you are duty bound to apply them.

Re Question 2. No. My wife fully appreciates my view that clothing is a window into the personality.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm both salt of the earth and a savage snob. If I see someone making an effort, particularly someone who is obviously not financially blessed, I appreciate that effort. But if someone is flaunting their wealth/can't be bothered to dress appropriately/is trying way too hard, I've been known to hit them with a cruelly disapproving glance. If it's really bad, I might even slap them with a slightly raised eyebrow.

I must say I agree with Doc: to those who aspire to a lifestyle currently beyond their resources (which is different from living beyond their means) I have nothing but support and encouragement. On the other hand, for those with means (or a haughty attitude) but no style I am nearly unforgiving.

To my mind, snobbishness is an unmanly, even effete trait that I hope never to display. That said, however, there is a certain amount of confidence that comes from knowing what is right (whether right to wear, right to say or right way to act), that can be perceived as snobbishness by others. This projection/perception distinction, however, I think is different from the type of snobbishness that is akin to girly-type cattiness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads