• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sid Mashburn

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled on this thread. Sid Mashburn is the best clothing store in DC. Excellent sales reps, nice location in Georgetown. Super high-quality wares and one of the few places I don't mind paying retail prices.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was about to purchase Alden Tassel Loafers in Shell Cordovan with 20% off discount Sid Mashburn is offering... woke up today to find all traces of Alden had been erased from existence on its website.

Oh well.

bleeh

Reaction score
Was about to purchase Alden Tassel Loafers in Shell Cordovan with 20% off discount Sid Mashburn is offering... woke up today to find all traces of Alden had been erased from existence on its website.

Oh well.

haha same here

jibz

Reaction score
Plugging back in to SF and felt it was important to share my Sid Mashburn experience. It occurred years ago but it still lingers and I'm still frustrated by the ordeal. I was getting married in 2018 and was very excited to get a nice, affordable suit (couldn't do anything custom) and felt their Kincaid No 3 would do the trick. I had purchased a couple pairs of jeans and shirts from them before and had good experiences with the Los Angeles shop leading up to my wedding suit.

The guys at the shop worked with me to confirm my size, color, and details (loved the ticket pocket) and ordered the suit more than 3 months out from my wedding – it had to be sent from another store or warehouse to the LA store. A couple weeks pass and I check in, still hasn't arrived. Another couple weeks and I'm assured it's on its way, should be there any day now. More assurances until it's just over a month from the wedding. Furious and concerned, I go to the store and am told that the employee who had placed the order was "problematic", was let go, and the order was never placed. And they don't have the suit in my size in any of their inventory. I'm absolutely dismayed (and panicked) so they convince me they can take another suit one size smaller and perform enough surgery to fit me right. I knew enough about tailoring that the little voice in my head said ABSOLUTELY NOT but was concerned about my wedding being a little over a month out, and was repeatedly assured by the store manager that it would work out just fine. So, against my better judgement, I agreed and went forward.

The suit went through the ringer – jacket sleeves lengthened, sleeve taper let out, jacket center seam let out, shoulders recut, pants waste and seat let out, leg taper let out. Total overhaul. To their credit they did not charge me for the alterations, but by the end, the suit (especially the shoulders and drape) looked awful – completely ill fitting and lumpy in the shoulders. But I had already paid for it and was getting married in a month so I felt I had no other choice. Of course I could have gone elsewhere when I learned the order was never placed, but I put my trust in the store and was completely disappointed.

About once a year I take the suit out to see if I can wear it again, but the combination of weird fit and poor reconstruction (and experience with the store) always keeps it in the back of the closet. I'm happy the suit and experience didn't dampen the joy of my wedding – at least my wife looked amazing. I try to be a good customer and support makers, but I felt my understanding nature was taken advantage of, either to make the sale or to save face due to the ordering mishap. I haven't been back to Sid Mashburn since, but I have learned to trust my instincts better.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plugging back in to SF and felt it was important to share my Sid Mashburn experience. It occurred years ago but it still lingers and I'm still frustrated by the ordeal. I was getting married in 2018 and was very excited to get a nice, affordable suit (couldn't do anything custom) and felt their Kincaid No 3 would do the trick. I had purchased a couple pairs of jeans and shirts from them before and had good experiences with the Los Angeles shop leading up to my wedding suit.

The guys at the shop worked with me to confirm my size, color, and details (loved the ticket pocket) and ordered the suit more than 3 months out from my wedding – it had to be sent from another store or warehouse to the LA store. A couple weeks pass and I check in, still hasn't arrived. Another couple weeks and I'm assured it's on its way, should be there any day now. More assurances until it's just over a month from the wedding. Furious and concerned, I go to the store and am told that the employee who had placed the order was "problematic", was let go, and the order was never placed. And they don't have the suit in my size in any of their inventory. I'm absolutely dismayed (and panicked) so they convince me they can take another suit one size smaller and perform enough surgery to fit me right. I knew enough about tailoring that the little voice in my head said ABSOLUTELY NOT but was concerned about my wedding being a little over a month out, and was repeatedly assured by the store manager that it would work out just fine. So, against my better judgement, I agreed and went forward.

The suit went through the ringer – jacket sleeves lengthened, sleeve taper let out, jacket center seam let out, shoulders recut, pants waste and seat let out, leg taper let out. Total overhaul. To their credit they did not charge me for the alterations, but by the end, the suit (especially the shoulders and drape) looked awful – completely ill fitting and lumpy in the shoulders. But I had already paid for it and was getting married in a month so I felt I had no other choice. Of course I could have gone elsewhere when I learned the order was never placed, but I put my trust in the store and was completely disappointed.

About once a year I take the suit out to see if I can wear it again, but the combination of weird fit and poor reconstruction (and experience with the store) always keeps it in the back of the closet. I'm happy the suit and experience didn't dampen the joy of my wedding – at least my wife looked amazing. I try to be a good customer and support makers, but I felt my understanding nature was taken advantage of, either to make the sale or to save face due to the ordering mishap. I haven't been back to Sid Mashburn since, but I have learned to trust my instincts better.
It’s over now but hopefully it learned to always have a plan B - glad the wedding went smoothly!

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sid Mashburn started making its acclaimed plaque belt buckle in India instead of Massachusetts :confused: Kind of lame.
Can't help but notice that the it's still the same price as when it was made in USA a month or two ago...
buckle.JPG

Professor_3

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this post back up, but I thought it would be relevant to my experience. Unfortunately, my experience with Sid was quite disappointing. I bought a suit last year that I loved (navy Kincaid cut). I was looking forward to becoming a regular customer and decided to pick up a pair of black whole cuts that just went on sale. After only one wearing, it turned out that the last was not for me, I had painful feet all day. So I immediately contact customer service and ask for an exchange for a different size OR I would also be happy to pay the difference for a full price shoe. After not hearing back for two days I decided to go in person to the Georgetown store in DC. I explain the situation, and I'm told the shoes, after one wearing, cannot be sold again and they cannot exchange them. I reiterate to customer service that I am willing to pay MORE to get a full price pair of shoes. The answer again is- sorry we cannot help you. This is from a store that sells $1000 Edward Green's and $3000 suits. (I should add that I never received a call from the store manager in DC to resolve the situation, only emails from the HQ)

The entire point of a place like Sid Mashburn is excellent customer service since folks these days can always find discounted luxury items online. A person goes to luxury physical stores to receive personal attention and accommodation. I have encountered better customer service from lesser luxury stores like Allen Edmonds and Nordstrom. Those places would never bat an eye in exchanging out a pair of shoes let alone turn away a customer who is willing to pay more to get a full price pair. The cost to Sid for resoling these shoes from his manufacturer would be a lot less than losing a potential lifelong customer. Maybe I'm not the ideal clientele for Sid, as most of the folks that come to the store are usually a Georgetown WASPY crowd. As a South Asian professional in the city, I certainly did not feel welcome or accommodated and my concerns were dismissed. Needless to say, I won't be shopping there again.
This is a rookie mistake. One really cannot expect to wear a pair of shoes on anything other than the carpet in your own home and expect to return them for a refund or exchange. Some lessons are more expensive and painful than others. But those mistakes are usually only made once.

Professor_3

Reaction score
Yes, it very much does. And willy nilly throwing the accusation around when a retailer won't take back used goods bolsters critics' arguments when people are trying to point to very real and meaningful examples of racism.

Maybe there was some racism at play here, but so far, the poster hasn't demonstrated anything but an unreasonable expectations and demands. Then left this nasty and gross note about racism against a company without any proof. Which is dumb and wrong.

Racism is a very real problem. It sucks that people have to constantly second guess themselves when facing it cause some people throw the term around so easily.
Very well said Sir!

Professor_3

Reaction score
Not to get circular, but I think they didn't accommodate him because there's no reason to do so. Again, they're now used shoes. And he already bought them for half off. Unless there was a defect in the construction (which happens sometimes - had a nail drill into my heal once from a pair of shoes), I don't think you can reasonably expect them to take the return.

I feel bad for the OP. It sucks losing money on something that doesn't fit (we've all been there). But it's also unfair to forward that loss to the retailer who did nothing wrong in this scenario.
Now, if this were a fit issue then SM may bear some responsibility. Some. Cheap ill-fitting clothes are expensive. I have to believe that most of us on SF research the hell out of something before opening our wallets. I even make a list of what I want and what in need by season and try very hard to avoid impulse purchases. If I like something and it doesn’t fit I walk away. But I also recognize that not everyone is does the same. I would hope SM’s staff wouldn’t let someone walk out of the store with I’ll-fitting shoes. After all, they’re the professionals. But only the customer knows how something “feels.” I live in DC as well and fortunately, we have an Alden shoe store. I don’t believe Joe or James would let a customer walk out of their store with I’ll-fitting shoes. Just saying…

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed a lot of their clothing that used to be made in America is not anymore. I recall their shirts were once made in America or Italy. Now they are made in Honduras. I wonder if they are the same quality. Some of their shirts are now $165 and would think you may be able to find much better value. What are your thoughts?

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing shipping delays recently? I put in an order more than a week ago and haven't gotten a shipment notification yet. Emailed to ask about status and didn't get a response.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads