• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sid Mashburn

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like he's insinuating racism to me.
it very well could be an underlying factor.........let's not dismiss it.

However, there must be some reason for why they did not accommodate him further - we have yet to hear if SM gave any official reasoning for their decision (unless I missed it?).

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it very well could be an underlying factor.........let's not dismiss it.

However, there must be some reason for why they did not accommodate him further - we have yet to hear if SM gave any official reasoning for their decision (unless I missed it?).

Not to get circular, but I think they didn't accommodate him because there's no reason to do so. Again, they're now used shoes. And he already bought them for half off. Unless there was a defect in the construction (which happens sometimes - had a nail drill into my heal once from a pair of shoes), I don't think you can reasonably expect them to take the return.

I feel bad for the OP. It sucks losing money on something that doesn't fit (we've all been there). But it's also unfair to forward that loss to the retailer who did nothing wrong in this scenario.

axedatta

Reaction score
This thread has quickly devolved into parsing out different meanings from my post. I understand that folks here think I'm being unreasonable with my ask of the store and that's fine, plenty of you have voiced a dissenting opinion. I would think this forum is still a place that people can talk about their experiences at a store without someone bringing up an almost 5-year-old post and attacking their character. I don't want to get into all the times I have felt dismissed at the store, but for example this was just last week when I was trying to do the return - an associate was helping me and then immediately dropped like a hot potato when a middle-aged WASPY lady walked in and the associate then chatted with her for a good 5 -10 mins with me standing right next to them waiting (before turning back to me) I felt like I was invisible…

I understand I’m at a loss here with the shoes and have made peace with that fact. I’m not going to engage this thread anymore, but here’s a thought- its OK to listen when a person of color tells you about their experience. You don’t have to dismiss his/her concerns outright. My post here is not going to hurt a multimillion dollar company, they will be just fine.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread has quickly devolved into parsing out different meanings from my post. I understand that folks here think I'm being unreasonable with my ask of the store and that's fine, plenty of you have voiced a dissenting opinion. I would think this forum is still a place that people can talk about their experiences at a store without someone bringing up an almost 5-year-old post and attacking their character. I don't want to get into all the times I have felt dismissed at the store, but for example this was just last week when I was trying to do the return - an associate was helping me and then immediately dropped like a hot potato when a middle-aged WASPY lady walked in and the associate then chatted with her for a good 5 -10 mins with me standing right next to them waiting (before turning back to me) I felt like I was invisible…

I understand I’m at a loss here with the shoes and have made peace with that fact. I’m not going to engage this thread anymore, but here’s a thought- its OK to listen when a person of color tells you about their experience. You don’t have to dismiss his/her concerns outright. My post here is not going to hurt a multimillion dollar company, they will be just fine.

There are two different issues: 1) returning used shoes. 2) rude customer service. You should complain about the latter.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It definitely seems that your multiple interactions left you feeling a certain way, though your intent was to be come a long-time customer of theirs. At least you can give up on them knowing you did what you could to patronize the brand. However everything is not for everyone!

Cheers for posting your story and sharing your experience.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And just one more thought. If it was racial bias, then I'm sorry you had to go through that. No excuse whatsoever for that type of behaviour.

My father-in-law was snowbirding in the deep south and he confirmed that racism is alive and well in certain parts...

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Notice that most of us have spoken in support of you and the validity of your story. You’ve got the right to ignore our support but let me repeat: Thanks for sharing your experience and warning me away from Sid Mashburn. I owe you for your courage.

Last edited:

axedatta

Reaction score
Notice that most of us have spoken in support of you and the validity of your story. You’ve got the right to ignore our support but let me repeat: Thanks for sharing your experience and warning me away from Sid Mashburn.

I apologize, my comments were not directed towards you and the folks that were supportive, but others on this thread who were quick to dismiss my concerns. Thank you for listening and being understanding.

sid11111

Reaction score
I don't want to get into all the times I have felt dismissed at the store, but for example this was just last week when I was trying to do the return - an associate was helping me and then immediately dropped like a hot potato when a middle-aged WASPY lady walked in and the associate then chatted with her for a good 5 -10 mins with me standing right next to them waiting (before turning back to me) I felt like I was invisible…

I'm South Asian and this sounds very much like playing the victim-card, something very common in South Asia. Having worked in retail before I can empathise with how miserable it is dealing with a customer who feels entitled to special treated which I am unable to accede to.

Little wonder the sales associate, although unprofessional, decided to find an excuse to drop you like a hot potato to service a more amenable customer.

John Wick

Reaction score
Dear Sir,

I hope this finds you well.

We aim to exceed expectations, and no doubt this time we've fallen short. I'm so sorry your experience with us was not a great one. Although it was difficult to read, I truly appreciate you taking the time to offer us feedback.

I am very sorry to hear about the damage on your jacket. We are always very willing to look after outside alterations and to hear you have left unhappy is very disappointing. I would really like to see your jacket and see what we can do to resolve this. Additionally, it’s even more disappointing that you are not happy with the alterations on the suit you purchased from us. All your alterations were done in house and our expectations are that everyone walks out with the perfectly tailored suit and this is what we would like for you.

Your experience was not in line with our service offering, and we're very sorry. We guarantee our products. If you are not well pleased, we’ll make it right. We'd love the opportunity to make things right, starting by taking care of your Mashburn suit. If you'll give us a chance, we'd like to come to you to have it fitted, and deliver it back to you, finished within the week.

Please reach out to me directly at 404-350-7135, or at patrick.oshea@sidmashburn. I hope we have the opportunity to make amends for your first visit.

Kind Regards,

Patrick O’Shea
Store Director
This is good because I had plans to visit the Georgetown store.
What should I do now @lordsuperb?

Last edited by a moderator:

John Wick

Reaction score
^If Allen Edmonds and Nordstrom take back shoes after a customer wears them, then they would be very unusual exceptions. Most companies, including luxury ones, will not take back a show after it's been worn, even once.

The best way to test a new pair of shoes is to wear them on carpet for a bit. Wearing them out all day will not only abrade the sole but set a crease line in the uppers and start an impression of your foot in the insole and/or cork.

It's possible that these shoes will break in and be comfortable. A new pair should be expected to be a little painful if worn all day on the first go. People here generally recommend wearing them a couple hours the first time, then working your way to a whole day.

This post reminds me of a time when I did not know better (still true now) because I had not yet joined SF. But the story goes like this. I had purchased an Isaia suit from NM for about $3,500. I tried on a 48R and I did not feel comfortable but the salesperson said it looked great. I told him that a 50R would just do but he said he didn't have it and the 48R looks perfect and if I were to size up then it will look too loose. Well, the naive dumb idiot in me decided to purchase it and had the suit tailored. I subsequently joined SF about 3 months later and posted a picture of me self wear me suit. And low and behold the comments started coming in. IT IS TOO SMALL! I effing went off and called NM customer service and told them this story. They said bring the suit back and we'll refund the entire amount. WHAT?! After 6 months and three wears?! Yes, they took the suit back and gave me a full refund. I take fault for being an idiot and caving in under pressure while I appluad the salesperson doing an excellent job at selling without any consideration for his customer(s).

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the 80s I had a Brooks Bros MTM suit made up for me.
The main reason I went MTM is because I need a relatively
short rise trouser but wear a Regular jacket. The suit trousers
did not fit correctly and BB decided that rather than performing
major surgery on them to give me a full refund. Very classy of
them. I appreciated it. Nevertheless, I have never bought an
article of tailored clothing from BB since then. The fact that
the iconic store had"lost its' way" several times since then has
not helped.

sclemmons

Reaction score
I greatly enjoyed the Garden and Gun podcast with Sid and Ann Washburn and enjoy visiting the store in Atlanta. I don't know how you scale this kind of business, but there is a screaming need in the market for sure. I love the idea of a nice blue blazer, and an alligator belt and put that together with whatever else you already own. Excellent start for a young man. They also have a terrific selection of shoes, which I greatly admire in a store for men. You could buy everything expensive from Sid and everything else from the Gap and Uniqlo and do better than most folks. More power to them.

I was tempted by the EG Duke loafer at half price but already badly dented my Amex at John Lobb. Still, what they are doing at Sid Washburn seems like a winner to me. I hope they succeed, and I will help them where I can.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads