• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i tried reading a book on architectural theory once. I almost got through a page before realizing i had no idea WTF is going on.

Most philosophy books are bullshit too--because most philosophers are terrible and attempt to cover it up with aggressive verbiage. I suspect this is much the same in architecture.

It's essentially always true in literary theory and "legal" philosophy.

One can either derive from this that there is something mystical going on in all these fields, where only the initiated "get it," or that many fields are simply riddled with mediocrity (would that be so surprising?).

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Says the guy asking for help choosing a rug.

You've never asked anyone for their thoughts about anything? In doing so, are you demonstrating a lack of taste? A lack of individuality? Come on. In my experience, it is precisely the person who fears asking for others insights that lacks self-confidence.

Anyway, while I'm mustering every civil bone in my body, consider how ridiculous it is for this to come from you. You post hundreds of photos of interiors and buildings for others to look at and discuss. Should I construe that you are desperate for others' approval of your taste?

Last edited:

vernonclark

Reaction score
Mafoofan is quite right about Stephenhero...belligerence is a tell tale sign in any industry that something is not quite right. StephenHero is not capable of 'why'.

In regards to your ideas on modernism...I read the posts quickly so I can't provide you a point by point critique right now. You seemed to have a Comtean take on modernism, as if the modernist had the intent of creating something perfect that could never be improved and was immutably good.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
When I ask for advice on something, it's because I can't find what I know I want in something or don't know about the technical aspects of its performance. The other day, I asked for umbrella recommendations, simply because I don't know which ones have a reputation for not breaking. What I wouldn't ask for is the appropriate color, or pattern, or handle material, etc. of an umbrella, because I recognize those are cosmetic and arbitrary to the function of an umbrella, making myself credible enough to judge their appeal without asking others. Since you asked for our help regarding your rug and furniture purely based on its "aesthetic composition" (first post), that distinction between seeking others' expertise and validation of your individualism is lost on you in your search for validation of your ****.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You seemed to have a Comtean take on modernism, as if the modernist had the intent of creating something perfect that could never be improved and was immutably good.

My understanding of modernism is that it is the drive to excel in spite of any traditional norms that might get in the way, which is necessarily premised on the notion that the objective good exists and is attainable, if not knowable. The post-modernist disputes the modernist premise ("there is no objective good") and his resulting efforts reflect an effort to expose false genealogies, challenge objective beliefs, illustrate absurdities, etc.

When I ask for advice on something, it's because I can't find what I know I want in something or don't know about the technical aspects of its performance. The other day, I asked for umbrella recommendations, simply because I don't know which ones have a reputation for not breaking. What I wouldn't ask for is the appropriate color, or pattern, or handle material, etc. of an umbrella, because I recognize those are cosmetic and arbitrary to the function of an umbrella, making myself credible enough to judge their appeal without asking others. Since you asked for our help regarding your rug and furniture purely based on its "aesthetic composition" (first post), that distinction between expertise and individualism is lost on you in your search for validation of your ****.

The function of furniture is not merely to be sat on, eaten on, walked on, etc. Clearly, it has an aesthetic value as well. Ideas that I have not thought of can be helpful in refining my own aesthetic preferences. Anyway, I stated that I am open to discussing all considerations, including practical.

Asking other people for their opinions is no less valid than looking through an art book for inspiration, or reading a treatise on modernism, etc. What distinguishes the intellectual is not whether he seeks other's thoughts, but what he does with them. I thought that was obvious.

Last edited:

vernonclark

Reaction score
When I ask for advice on something, it's because I can't find what I know I want in something or don't know about the technical aspects of its performance. The other day, I asked for umbrella recommendations, simply because I don't know which ones have a reputation for not breaking. What I wouldn't ask for is the appropriate color, or pattern, or handle material, etc. of an umbrella, because I recognize those are cosmetic and arbitrary to the function of an umbrella, making myself credible enough to judge their appeal without asking others. Since you asked for our help regarding your rug and furniture purely based on its "aesthetic composition" (first post), that distinction between seeking others' expertise and validation of your individualism is lost on you in your search for validation of your ****.

Handle material is not an inconsequential, cosmetic matter.

I think you may be reading too much into a request for opinions...as is often the case, someone asks 'what do you think of this?'

It is bad form to use that platform to ridicule someone...and it is rather scummy to use that opportunity to pose as an expert. Your opinion, in all instances that I've seen, has always been worthless because there is never any consideration.

One example that made me laugh quite hard was when you were mocking garish suburban homes--the loosely defined McMansion variety. You were examining the exterior of the home and you hilariously mistook a protruding structure: the gas fireplace, for a closet. You started railing on the stupidity of the builder for not having taken into account the need for a closet and for just simply adding it to the structure later.

It was a hearty laugh, and I thank you for it...but the upshot is this--you are not competent in matters architecture or even building really.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

Asking other people for their opinions is no less valid than looking through an art book for inspiration,

No, clown. What you're doing is soliciting others to hang art in your house for you. If you just wanted us to provide you options, you wouldn't have given us a floorplan to allow us the opportunity to vicariously live your domestic life for you when we do the selecting.

vernonclark

Reaction score
My understanding of modernism is that it is the drive to excel in spite of any traditional norms that might get in the way, which is necessarily premised on the notion that the objective good exists and is attainable, if not knowable. The post-modernist disputes the modernist premise ("there is no objective good") and his resulting efforts reflect an effort to expose false genealogies, challenge objective beliefs, illustrate absurdities, etc.

There is an incongruity between what modernism has preached and what it is...I think the issue I had with your conception was that you seemed to take for granted that modernism has succeeded or, in one case, that a particular chair is the best because it was built on modernist principles.

The general distinction you've made of course is correct, except, often, modernism eschews traditional forms and norms simply for the sake of eschewing rather than because they might get in the way.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No, clown. What you're doing is soliciting others to hang art in your house for you. If you just wanted us to provide you options, you wouldn't have given us a floorplan to allow us the opportunity to vicariously live your domestic life for you when we do the selecting.

Jeezus. See, every time I try to reason with you, you come back with this ****.

I gave a floorplan because it is a small space. Things have to be carefully composed to fit, and some things won't fit at all. I was trying to provide necessary context.

What kind of architectural expert thinks it's wise to decide on furniture irrespective of the space it's going to be installed in? No doubt your fan bois will come to your rescue, but I'm hoping more and more people start realizing the emperor wears no clothes and isn't even an emperor.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

What kind of architectural expert thinks it's wise to decide on furniture irrespective of the space it's going to be installed in?

:foo:

If I had to guess, it would be the person asking for advice from people who have never seen his living room to give him advice about what to do with it. In other words, you.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads