• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anybody ever heard of anything like this? bullying

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Move away or transfer the kid to another school reasonably far away. The only other option seems to be serious Old Testament style retribution on everyone else involved, and that's hard to get away with in court.

Burn the bullies' houses at night. You kill two birds with one stone: get rid of the bullies and get rid of their parents so they don't breed any more future state penitentiary inmates.

Jon.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
meh, move to new district, kid is same geek, meets different bullies. Rinse, repeat.

On the other hand:

Move to new district, warn administration of ongoing litigation with previous school district because of bullying problem, new admin keeps an eye on kid out of fear of also being sued (and featured in NYTimes article in which it is portrayed as jack-asses).

There's only so much the school can do off campus, but these days the schools are given more and more leeway to control student behavior away from school in the name of controlling the classroom. Here's a spot where that sort of legal thinking works for the better.

b

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't remember the details but had an acquaintance many a years ago who was recounting something like this though not as extreme. He was "good looking" and was thought of as effeminate by some of the bullies who were making his life difficult. Well one day, a cousin of his was passing through town with his buddies. These guys were green berets or seals or something. They met up with him after school (typically when the crap happened). No violence just show of support and strength. According to the guy, that was the last time he got picked on.

Wondering if this kid has uncles, cousins etc (may be in law enforcement etc) who can help.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know, something about this seems weird. A passive kid with passive parents. Not fair, since I don't know the whole truth, but frankly I get outraged just reading the article. Four years of this crap is quite enough IMHO. If he were mine I certainly would have done something by now, whether relocate or sue the school or the parents of the bullies. They've been documenting his bruises, and for what, exactly? So they have another photo for the scrapbook???

As for standing up for yourself, I agree on the dangers...to an extent. No one really knows what anyone is capable of, but that extends on both sides of the fence. Yes, upping the ante with the wrong psychopath is a form of MAD, but the alternative thus far has been remarkably ineffective.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I don't know, something about this seems weird. A passive kid with passive parents. Not fair, since I don't know the whole truth, but frankly I get outraged just reading the article. Four years of this crap is quite enough IMHO. If he were mine I certainly would have done something by now, whether relocate or sue the school or the parents of the bullies. They've been documenting his bruises, and for what, exactly? So they have another photo for the scrapbook???

As for standing up for yourself, I agree on the dangers...to an extent. No one really knows what anyone is capable of, but that extends on both sides of the fence. Yes, upping the ante with the wrong psychopath is a form of MAD, but the alternative thus far has been remarkably ineffective.

The bit about the scrapbook left me feeling sick too.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Maybe, maybe not. If he goes a bit insane and the kids start to think he might be a loose cannon, he might be able to scare them away enough to leave him alone. I wonder if the kid has ever stood up to any of the bullies...

I suspect his parents are pacifists and told him it's wrong to fight.
plain.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
meh, move to new district, kid is same geek, meets different bullies. Rinse, repeat.

lol

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

Agreed, and the results of getting in a fight can affect people differently. For example, when I was in HS, the policy was that all the people in a fight were suspended for 3 days, no matter who started it. I would have tried to fight back more but I realized that a couple suspensions on my record would make a college think twice about accepting me. The other person probably wasn't even planning on college, so they didn't care. If you beat the tar out of someone in retailiation for jumping you and their parents get assault charges on you, that also looks really bad. More evidence that non-violent solutions are probably in order.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You-revenge-do-yes, that okay.
You-revenge-do-no, that okay too.
You-revenge-do-"guess so"... squish, just like grape.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
You-revenge-do-yes, that okay.
You-revenge-do-no, that okay too.
You-revenge-do-"guess so"... squish, just like grape.

engrish plz

ikemen

Reaction score
despite the proximity, you guys should see how the canadian side is doing. so well that in fact i've never heard of any god damn shooting in canadian schools

also, i heard all kinds of bullying in schools, lower or upper levels, on the stateside, especially minority kids (usually asians, fob or not) got messed around by other kids, white or black
but i believe this happens rarely over in the canada side.

figures??

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember one incident I had in high school. I was, of course, your typical Asian AP math/science nerd. I was one of three Asians in the entire school. A jock would pick on me during gym class. It was nothing on this level of bullying, but you know how it goes. I didn't "deserve" it by any means. I was always nice to people, and I had a lot of friends. It was just one of those things.

As a nerd, I managed to get a hold of the school's electronic student files, including information on relatives, addresses, and lockers. During one break (it was near final exams), I got into his locker and stole all his books. I left a computer-printed note with the names of his family members and addresses. It's not an action that I'm particularly proud of, but the bullying stopped after that, without any confrontations or violence.

Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher
You know how I stayed alive this long? Fear. Fearsome acts. A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he offends me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see. A spectacle of fearsome acts. That's what maintains the order of things. Fear.

Although this quote is a bit extreme, I see a lot of truth in it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads