• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anybody ever heard of anything like this? bullying

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The whole packing on muscle and self-defense thing is a stupid idea. He's not being picked-on by one, but several kids, all the time. Even if he started winning against one, it is almost sure that more would jump in. It won't get him anywhere. For whatever reason they've decided to single him out for frequent beatings and they don't show any intent of stopping. I would have to think that the types of kids that would take a car and go out of their way to video themselves beating up a defenseless kid are particularly vicious.

Even if by some miracle he got really big and then beat the **** out of the next guy that attacked him, who's to say the one after him won't have a knife or a gun? Or who's to say that that guy won't come back with a knife or a gun because he was humiliated? It's too easy for something like this to escalate.

When it's just an isolated incident I'm not in favour of involving the school/police. When one kid regularly attacked by lots of different people, the cops need to be involved to send a signal.

The parents should also think about moving, cause he'll never have a normal life, even if all the bullies do go to jail.

Maybe, maybe not. If he goes a bit insane and the kids start to think he might be a loose cannon, he might be able to scare them away enough to leave him alone. I wonder if the kid has ever stood up to any of the bullies...

Jon.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The whole packing on muscle and self-defense thing is a stupid idea. He's not being picked-on by one, but several kids, all the time. Even if he started winning against one, it is almost sure that more would jump in. It won't get him anywhere. For whatever reason they've decided to single him out for frequent beatings and they don't show any intent of stopping. I would have to think that the types of kids that would take a car and go out of their way to video themselves beating up a defenseless kid are particularly vicious. Even if by some miracle he got really big and then beat the **** out of the next guy that attacked him, who's to say the one after him won't have a knife or a gun? Or who's to say that that guy won't come back with a knife or a gun because he was humiliated? It's too easy for something like this to escalate. When it's just an isolated incident I'm not in favour of involving the school/police. When one kid regularly attacked by lots of different people, the cops need to be involved to send a signal. The parents should also think about moving, cause he'll never have a normal life, even if all the bullies do go to jail.
Pick the biggest kid in the group, lay an elbow into the side of his neck, and kick him when he's down. Then tell the other kids you're going after their little sisters next if they don't stop. That works. Trust me.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Pick the biggest kid in the group, lay an elbow into the side of his neck, and kick him when he's down. Then tell the other kids you're going after their little sisters next if they don't stop. That works. Trust me.

No way. GQ's clearly right. But the hell is going with the parents? Haven't they heard of private school or lawyers? Letting the kid suffer so much to prove a point is crazy.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
No way. GQ's clearly right. But the hell is going with the parents? Haven't they heard of private school or lawyers? Letting the kid suffer so much to prove a point is crazy.
I'd just punch some kid's sister in the face. How about you?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My father was a white kid in a Hawaiian high scholl in the 40s. When the leader of one of the big gangs picked on him, my father proceeded to beat the tar out of him. From that day on, my dad was off limits. Taking out the big guy can work.

These days it's probably not a great idea to find that bully and beat him up, but if he comes at you, I just can't see not standing up for yourself. Let's remember, this kid in the story has tried to stand up for himself. He just doens't ahve the tools. Give him the tools. Most kids are still kids. They pick because it's easy. Once you stand up for yourself, then they move on. (Then you can talk about whether it's your duty to help out the next kid.)

b

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
My father was a white kid in a Hawaiian high scholl in the 40s. When the leader of one of the big gangs picked on him, my father proceeded to beat the tar out of him. From that day on, my dad was off limits. Taking out the big guy can work. These days it's probably not a great idea to find that bully and beat him up, but if he comes at you, I just can't see not standing up for yourself. Let's remember, this kid in the story has tried to stand up for himself. He just doens't ahve the tools. Give him the tools. Most kids are still kids. They pick because it's easy. Once you stand up for yourself, then they move on. (Then you can talk about whether it's your duty to help out the next kid.) b
I did the same thing several times growing up. The problem is that I don't know how effective it is the older you are. Also, today is just plain different. I don't want my kids getting kicked out of school, with lawsuits against them, or even worse, stabbed because the other kid decided he also needed to notch it up. Just punch a little girl in the eye and get it over with. That's the best solution.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd just punch some kid's sister in the face. How about you?

now I know where you got your name, dude.

hi-val

Reaction score
Kid needs to read Ender's Game.

Part of me feels like the kid should realize it's just school and he'll be out of it soon and work HARD to not make himself a target. Another part makes me think this kid needs to jump one of the bullies when they're alone and hurt them incredibly hard. Kid walks into the bathroom and sees the bully at the urinal, then walks up behind him, slams his head into the metal fixture a couple times, beats him to hamburger, etc. Gotta throw in some war screams too. It'd probably be incredibly unproductive because all the sudden, the school would pay attention and send this little Jeremy to juvenile detention.

But the most effective thing is not being a target. I had to learn this in high school when I was not able to fight back. You walk with people you know from class to class, you be nice to the popular kids, you don't be a showoff in class, etc. If you're being bullied on the bus, you sit in the first seat behind the driver. If you're being bullied at lunch or in class, you sit nearest to the teacher that you can.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
today is just plain different.

QFT.

I get the idea that parents and adults these days have absolutely no idea what kids are like any more. To tell your kid to fight back and beat up one of them and "they will leave you alone, they will respect you" is likely to get your kid killed. What happens is there is no respect, there is only losing face by being beaten by the picked-on kid. Then they gang up and shank him in the liver, or beat him until he's permanently disfigured/disabled, and get away with it because they obviously run the school. "Billy got what was coming to him." Great place.

Move away or transfer the kid to another school reasonably far away. The only other option seems to be serious Old Testament style retribution on everyone else involved, and that's hard to get away with in court.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
so who is this kid we are fretting over Zach?

no idea - just an article in them nytimes, but I've never heard of such an extreme case of bullying. and I am pretty astonished at the attitude of the school, if this is repoted accuratly.

honestly, I probrably would have moved. I don't know, really hard to say. but this kids has a whole basket of problems.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
meh, move to new district, kid is same geek, meets different bullies. Rinse, repeat.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
meh, move to new district, kid is same geek, meets different bullies. Rinse, repeat.

+1. I mean, that's not to say the kid does anything to bring it on himself, but more than likely, if he gets beat up in new york, he's gonna get beat up in chicago, and in LA and etc.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. I mean, that's not to say the kid does anything to bring it on himself, but more than likely, if he gets beat up in new york, he's gonna get beat up in chicago, and in LA and etc.
He lives in rural Arkansas. I think there might be a few better choices of place to live than that. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these bully kids' dads are cops who drink beers and go hunting with the vice principal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads