• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anybody ever heard of anything like this? bullying

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kid def needs some martial arts / boxing / (insert other bloodsport here) training. He needs to end it before he leaves high school or it will haunt him.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
He's 15. Where is he going to find the time to work out enough to get big? Not to mention, he's probably of smaller stature and likely to have a body type that doesn't pack on mass easily.

I would enroll him in a martial arts class, probably BJJ. After he chokes somebody out, nobody is going to mess with him.

Um, after school...?

It's all about effort; I'm trying to pack on muscle weight, and while it has been an uphill battle, steady but surely I'm getting there.

Jon.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Um, after school...?

It's all about effort; I'm trying to pack on muscle weight, and while it has been an uphill battle, steady but surely I'm getting there.

You've posted that you work out a lot and are approximately a buck-twenty, which makes my point that this kid is not going to get big enough to repel bullies. Becoming physically fit will give him some self-confidence, but he needs to supplement that with self-defense training.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
You've posted that you work out a lot and are approximately a buck-twenty, which makes my point that this kid is not going to get big enough to repel bullies. Becoming physically fit will give him some self-confidence, but he needs to supplement that with self-defense training.

123.9 now. And if someone to pick a fight with me, I could take care of myself (disclosure: I haven't gotten into a truly physical altercation in about a decade).

And I posted the timeframe of 3 years. Age 15 is a perfect time to get bigger.

Jon.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hmmm

so he has abt three years left of school....meaning around graduation day, he should be strong enough to handle any further schoolyard altercations

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
hmmm

so he has abt three years left of school....meaning around graduation day, he should be strong enough to handle any further schoolyard altercations

lol8[1].gif

He'll show those bullies at the reunion!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
hmmm

No, meaning that right before school is done with he can beat the **** out of the kids and never have to see them again.
teacha.gif

Jon.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Ill never forget the weird satisfaction I felt when I was flipping through CVs at the PR agency I worked for in Melbourne and saw in the stack an application from a dude who used to slap me around in high school.

Evidently he was looking for a role to help him break out of baggage handling at Adelaide airport.

Karma is a better equaliser than most firearms.

Just don't fly through there, I guess...

Originally Posted by imageWUSS
123.9 now. And if someone to pick a fight with me, I could take care of myself (disclosure: I haven't gotten into a truly physical altercation in about a decade).Jon.
It's OK Jon, I'm sorry I used to beat you up.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His parents are doing a good job. Keep up the law suits. Ultimately little kids will learn when they've driven their parents into poverty and can't afford more than one meal a day.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Let's not get all Internet Tough Guy. You can practice on ernest a few (3033) times.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This and the article about target practice just goes to show that if you strip away the thin veneer of civilization, it is Lord of the Flies time.

I have a sister that is two years older than me. Was always an odd kid. Never had more than 2-3 friends, quiet, smart, not pretty (but not ugly). We went to the same school (obviously) for grades 1-8 and I never saw her get picked on per se. When she went to high school though, it was a different story. I guess she got picked on quite mercilessly for the first two years.

When I started in Grade 9, I had gotten some of my height early, being 5'10", but was still lanky at about 145#. So I show up and three guys decide to "initiate" me. It's the three guys that picked on my sister the most, and figured I would be easy pickings. So they tossed some rotten eggs at me (and the two other frosh I was with), squirted us with ketchup and some shaving cream. Find and dandy, you get this, typical stuff for hazing.

Then one of them smashed a rotten egg in my sister's face and she started to bleed and cry. I got messed up pretty bad, lost a tooth, two black eyes. But all three of those Grade 11's got hurt enough to remember it for days too
smile.gif
She was never popular but she told me the taunting quit after that day.

So I guess the moral of the story is, all it takes sometimes is one person to stand up and a kid can get through high school without wanting to go postal.

Oddly enough, not to say I never was not at least a passive participant in something similar. There was a few times I should have spoken up but watched friends taunt kids. I guess it just depends on who's ox is getting gored?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The whole packing on muscle and self-defense thing is a stupid idea. He's not being picked-on by one, but several kids, all the time. Even if he started winning against one, it is almost sure that more would jump in. It won't get him anywhere. For whatever reason they've decided to single him out for frequent beatings and they don't show any intent of stopping. I would have to think that the types of kids that would take a car and go out of their way to video themselves beating up a defenseless kid are particularly vicious.

Even if by some miracle he got really big and then beat the **** out of the next guy that attacked him, who's to say the one after him won't have a knife or a gun? Or who's to say that that guy won't come back with a knife or a gun because he was humiliated? It's too easy for something like this to escalate.

When it's just an isolated incident I'm not in favour of involving the school/police. When one kid regularly attacked by lots of different people, the cops need to be involved to send a signal.

The parents should also think about moving, cause he'll never have a normal life, even if all the bullies do go to jail.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This and the article about target practice just goes to show that if you strip away the thin veneer of civilization, it is Lord of the Flies time.

I have a sister that is two years older than me. Was always an odd kid. Never had more than 2-3 friends, quiet, smart, not pretty (but not ugly). We went to the same school (obviously) for grades 1-8 and I never saw her get picked on per se. When she went to high school though, it was a different story. I guess she got picked on quite mercilessly for the first two years.

When I started in Grade 9, I had gotten some of my height early, being 5'10", but was still lanky at about 145#. So I show up and three guys decide to "initiate" me. It's the three guys that picked on my sister the most, and figured I would be easy pickings. So they tossed some rotten eggs at me (and the two other frosh I was with), squirted us with ketchup and some shaving cream. Find and dandy, you get this, typical stuff for hazing.

Then one of them smashed a rotten egg in my sister's face and she started to bleed and cry. I got messed up pretty bad, lost a tooth, two black eyes. But all three of those Grade 11's got hurt enough to remember it for days too
smile.gif
She was never popular but she told me the taunting quit after that day.

So I guess the moral of the story is, all it takes sometimes is one person to stand up and a kid can get through high school without wanting to go postal.

Oddly enough, not to say I never was not at least a passive participant in something similar. There was a few times I should have spoken up but watched friends taunt kids. I guess it just depends on who's ox is getting gored?

No. That is wrong. Things were different back in your day. How many stabbings and gunshot wounds do you remember from your school? Some kids might back off if they take a beating. Others will just come back with a knife for humiliating them infront of their friends. I've heard so many of those stories from kids I know that went to public school in toronto. My roommate was attacked by a gang because he was a good track runner. My best friends' ex's brother got his head blown off over some stupid ****. You don't know how kids these days will react, so it's best to take it seriously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads