• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WICaniac

Reaction score
Black shell Leeds absolutely go with denim. They also go with certain colors (e.g., grey, white). I do not consider them dressy enough for slacks.

Personally, while I probably don't wear my black shell Leeds (and Dundee, and MacNeil) as often as I wear my burgundy shell Leeds (and Dundee, and MacNeil), I'm glad I have them.

I wear my black shell Leeds with light grey and charcoal trousers with a sports coat a few times a month. With the right socks (and even laces), they are better than acceptable. I have worn them with jeans, but I wear jeans maybe twice a month.

lemmy127

Reaction score
I don't think they'd be too similar. But this is coming from a guy that a few weeks from now with have longwing bluchers in black, brown, #8, ravello, and whiskey shell, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

What, no cigar?  :p  

I had MTOed brown shell MacNeils a week before the AOC cigar and ravello pre-order dropped. If that didn't happen I'd probably have cigar instead.

Last edited:

tradbrah

Reaction score

So used to seeing shell longwings in a blobby form (Alden), it is quite refreshing to see a slim-profiled calf longwing offered by AE in its signaure 5-last. 

And I think it is a little too "skeek" for a LWB. I was really excited about the Chili color, but I think I would like something a little more blobby. Soon I will bite the bullet and get Alden shell.

Different strokes for different folks.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And I think it is a little too "skeek" for a LWB. I was really excited about the Chili color, but I think I would like something a little more blobby. Soon I will bite the bullet and get Alden shell.

I agree, abd I'm wondering why this shoe was even necessary. I mean, the sleek, flat-welted, dressy Larchmont has been available for a long time as an alternative to the clunky trad MacNeil.

arepaberry

Reaction score
So I called Allen Edmonds and did an inquiry about the Jeffersons on brown and I'm still waiting for them to call me back to see if they have enough leather, apparently they are gonna have to make them. Anyone has personal photos of those on walnut or black? The brown ones though are insane.

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Careful what you wish for. As much as I love AE shoes, Alden shell (exotics in particular) is highly addictive, probably more so than any other shell shoemakers.

menswhere

Reaction score
In dire need of some help . . .

I have strands in bourbon, and last night i spilled a few drops of olive oil on the toe. I panicked, as it looked like it would stain, read some home remedies online, and was told that a small amount of detergent should get the stain out. Not only is the stain still there, but some of the toe is now lighter than the other areas due to the scrubbing. I tried polishing them last night with bourbon polish, but that hasn't made a noticeable difference.

I'm considering either applying a little bit of olive oil to the area to make the stain less noticeable (right now its three discrete drops). Anyone know if there's a tanning oil or something I could use to get them back to where they were?

THANK YOU

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I called Allen Edmonds and did an inquiry about the Jeffersons on brown and I'm still waiting for them to call me back to see if they have enough leather, apparently they are gonna have to make them. Anyone has personal photos of those on walnut or black? The brown ones though are insane.

chrispy650

Reaction score
Question for those with Daltons and also have shoes in the 5 last. Did any of you ever size up? I have slightly narrow feet and when I tried the Daltons on they were ever so slightly tight on the sides. I would assume this would loosen up and form with wear? Never bought a pair of dress boots before but for my RW and Wolverines they stretch a little over time. Can I expect the same for these?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have strands in bourbon, and last night i spilled a few drops of olive oil on the toe. I panicked, as it looked like it would stain, read some home remedies online, and was told that a small amount of detergent should get the stain out. Not only is the stain still there, but some of the toe is now lighter than the other areas due to the scrubbing. I tried polishing them last night with bourbon polish, but that hasn't made a noticeable difference.

I'm considering either applying a little bit of olive oil to the area to make the stain less noticeable (right now its three discrete drops). Anyone know if there's a tanning oil or something I could use to get them back to where they were? 

THANK YOU

Post this in the Shoe Care thread. The gents in there will take care of you.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Google image search is your friend. I spent 15 minutes looking through them last night. Lots of walnut out there.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

THANK YOU

Go to the shoe care thread there is a ton on this probably 5 pages from the end of the thread...seems a combo of vinegar and distilled water helps get the oil out.. Scrubbing will just do what you discovered and remove the finish as Bourbon is a finish not tanned that way.

Anyway try the vinegar remedy...

WICaniac

Reaction score
I agree, abd I'm wondering why this shoe was even necessary. I mean, the sleek, flat-welted, dressy Larchmont has been available for a long time as an alternative to the clunky trad MacNeil.

For me (and the market)!! I always thought the MacNeil was too blobby and loved the look for the Williams, Larchmont, RL Sanderson but cannot ever fit in the 222 last. Many AE customers cannot; most can fit in the 5.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for those with Daltons and also have shoes in the 5 last. Did any of you ever size up? I have slightly narrow feet and when I tried the Daltons on they were ever so slightly tight on the sides. I would assume this would loosen up and form with wear? Never bought a pair of dress boots before but for my RW and Wolverines they stretch a little over time. Can I expect the same for these?

My 5 lasted bals are 12eee my 5 lasted blucher are 12e my Dalton is 13E...my TTS is just north of 12.5E

menswhere

Reaction score
Go to the shoe care thread there is a ton on this probably 5 pages from the end of the thread...seems a combo of vinegar and distilled water helps get the oil out.. Scrubbing will just do what you discovered and remove the finish as Bourbon is a finish not tanned that way.

Anyway try the vinegar remedy...
Thanks -- just tried them over there. Any way to restore the Bourbon finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads