• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the second time wearing new shoes. I got these as an exchange because my 8E was too loose. These are an 8D and there's a tremendous amount of pain in the tongue area.

Is this normal and should it go away?

I went on an AE chat and was told they might be defective but I don't see how.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

That is not normal. I'm not sure if it will go away.

Today I am wearing LWB burgundy shell MacNeils (double leather sole) - maiden voyage - and I have no pain or any discomfort whatsoever. I have multiple Alden LWBs and the break-in time was quite a bit longer for those.

Firefox

Reaction score
It's been pointed out in this thread (and others) that the Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe Polish (i.e. the kind in a tube with foam applicator) is just rebranded "Collonil Waterstop Colours" polish. The Collonil stuff tends to be a dollar or two cheaper, and they have most of the same Allen Edmonds colours. However, unlike the AE polish, they don't seem to offer a "Chili" colour. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Collonil has an equivalent to the Chili colour, or if this is an AE "exclusive" colour. If not, then I'm guessing that either medium brown or mahogany would be the closest match (depending on if the wearer wants a darker, redder shade or a lighter, browner shade):

Does anyone happen to have any experience with Collonil and Chili-coloured shoes?

Jigg

Reaction score
That is not normal. I'm not sure if it will go away.
Today I am wearing LWB burgundy shell MacNeils (double leather sole) - maiden voyage - and I have no pain or any discomfort whatsoever. I have multiple Alden LWBs and the break-in time was quite a bit longer for those.

I was told on the phone that I need to go through the exchange process again (for the 3rd time). I think I may just return them for a refund, it's too frustrating.

kuslamb

Reaction score
I recently purchased Black Calf Park Avenues and Walnut Calf Strands. Any pointers on new shoe care and prep for regular wear? Additionally, any recommendations on shoe trees? I see AE sells shoes trees and I assume they are a good choice, but I am open to opinions.

Firefox

Reaction score
I recently purchased Black Calf Park Avenues and Walnut Calf Strands. Any pointers on new shoe care and prep for regular wear? Additionally, any recommendations on shoe trees? I see AE sells shoes trees and I assume they are a good choice, but I am open to opinions.
There are quite a few shoe care threads that cover these topics. There are also many, many differing opinions on what works best, so there is probably no single "correct" answer. I own Black Calf PAs, and the technique that I tend to use is as follows:

1. Use a (slightly) damp cloth to wipe off any dirt/salt/etc from the shoe.
2. Apply a coat of Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner. Allow the shoe to dry for 20 minutes or so.
3. Apply a coat of the Allen Edmonds "Premium Shoe Polish" or "Collonil Waterstop Colours" polish. Allow the polish to dry for 10-15 minutes.
4. Thoroughly brush the shoe with a horsehair brush.

If you want some extra shine, you can then apply a coat of a wax-based polish (i.e. in the flat tins), allow to dry, and then buff and shine with a brush & cloth. However, some SFers will argue that this doesn't add all that much extra shine, and the wax will reduce the longevity of the shoe. On the other hand, the wax may add a little extra waterproofing to the shoe. My understanding is that the AE/Collonil polishes combine both a cream and a wax, so the extra wax coat is probably unneccesary. However, on occasion I will add some extra wax on the toe cap, especially for a formal event, etc.

As far as shoe trees, my recommendation is to get cedar trees with a split shank (i.e. the kind that expand in the toe when you push them in). The AE ones are fine; I have a pair for my Delrays, although you can probably find some that are just as good for a little less money. IMO, as long as it's cedar and has a split shank design, it should be fine. Just make sure to get the proper size, though.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Check the shoe care thread, AE shoe trees and Woodlore shoe trees are the same, but the Woodlore can be found for cheaper.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Yeah, my outside pics look close to walnut, while my inside pic looks pretty brown. I think it's fair to say they're pretty in between.

I have so few shoes that I still need to diversify and so wouldn't get the same shoe in "adjacent" colors, but for those that already have one of everything they might be a nice addition.

Here's hoping AE releases the Wide Basic Dress belt in bourbon to match these new shoes!

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's been pointed out in this thread (and others) that the Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe Polish (i.e. the kind in a tube with foam applicator) is just rebranded "Collonil Waterstop Colours" polish. The Collonil stuff tends to be a dollar or two cheaper, and they have most of the same Allen Edmonds colours. However, unlike the AE polish, they don't seem to offer a "Chili" colour. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Collonil has an equivalent to the Chili colour, or if this is an AE "exclusive" colour. If not, then I'm guessing that either medium brown or mahogany would be the closest match (depending on if the wearer wants a darker, redder shade or a lighter, browner shade):

Does anyone happen to have any experience with Collonil and Chili-coloured shoes?

I see you are in Toronto. Where can you find Collonil polish around here? I'm interested if it is cheaper than AE's offering.

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score
Here's hoping AE releases the Wide Basic Dress belt in bourbon to match these new shoes!
Yeah, I was gonna ask for recommendations on AE belts so I have something that matches really well.

Also, I just realized that I'll have the right polish, so I might polish a belt for the first time in my life. Then again, that might stain my pants, huh? Maybe just use Conditioner/Cleaner.

itsmejson

Reaction score
I'm a little deflated today. I ordered a pair of walnut dalton seconds last week.
I figured they would arrive today but nothing came so I called the shoe bank.
Apparently 2 orders were placed for the same pair and so when when my
order was placed their system was not updated yet. They said they had to
do more research and would call me back, since my original rep was off today.
There was only 1 pair left showing up in their system.

I'm afraid they might refund me my $ since they might not have another pair
in my size and not have a a new pair of boots.

Firefox

Reaction score
I see you are in Toronto. Where can you find Collonil polish around here? I'm interested if it is cheaper than AE's offering.
Novelty Shoe Repair on Yonge street (just north of Adelaide) carries Collonil polish, as well as some other brands. IIRC, they were selling it for $10 a tube, compared to $16 for the AE stuff at Harry Rosen. You can order the AE stuff for $9 on the AE website, but the minimum shipping charge is $30, so you'd have to order a lot of shoe polish to make it worth it. Even with a strong Canadian dollar, I find that shipping charges from U.S. retailers are often prohibitive.

Rego Bespoke (main floor of the Exchange Tower) had a good AE deal a couple of weeks ago; not sure if it's still on or not. They were offering to match all discount prices on the AE website but waive any shipping costs.

Also, I should point out that Novelty has a very good reputation for shoe repairs. I had them put topys on my Park Avenues, and to my untrained eye, they appeared to do an excellent job.

Last edited:

jc1234

Reaction score

I own 7 different pairs of Edmonds and take ridiculously good care of them all and I have to say:
Some of you are absolute lunatics when it comes to what you perceive as an unacceptable in your shoes. And don't try to take that as a compliment. I mean that some of you are just completely insane. These are dead animal skins that you wear on your feet and beat them into the pavement with each step you take. Calm down, wear your shoes and shut the **** up.

I agree in most cases, but in the case of the Dalton boots pictured, I personally have a hard time seeing what the problem is--a minuscule notch in the leather? Maybe AE feels the same way and does not regard that as a defect. Now the shell Daltons with the ripple in the toe is another matter, and I'm sure AE would agree.
I would hope that all of us can appreciate the customer service of AE--second to none. If the notch is a problem for the buyer, they would probably take them back. Alden on the other hand, would politely tell you to go jump in the lake and they wouldn't miss you as a customer (which I personally think is a piss poor way of conducting business, especially given the price of their shoes).

I think this was well said.  The "dead animal skin" arguement only holds up to a certain point, and it is only useful for natural flaws in the leather.  For defects that are caused by human error, one should be able to reserve the right to ask questions.  That said, as loyal customers of AE, we have to remember that we are fans of a company putting out a fantastic product at a fantastic price point.  There is a reason that companies in the pricier English shoemaking realm exist. This reason is that they go the extra mile to make shoes for people who want the longevity/durability of a goodyear welted shoe just like Allen Edmonds, but also want it to look almost flawless.    I firmly believe that an Allen Edmonds shoe can last just as long as any of the fine English made shoes, but you are taking a discount on the price by purchasing a shoe that can't have as much time invested in the finest details.  There has to be a trade-off at some point.  If you are consistently unhappy with the imperfections, then you need to graduate up to one of the English companies IMHO.  I enjoy paying my couple hundred bucks and walking around in shoes that look better and are higher quality than 98% of everyone else's out there.  Allen Edmonds operates under the assumption that you know you are purchasing a shoe that is of high quality, but not flawless.  Therefore, they will pass shoes that they consider acceptable to be sold as first rate.  The great thing about Allen Edmonds is that they also realize that this falls into a subjective area, and they are willing to go the extra mile to try to meetyour definition of first rate if you are unhappy with the product.  This is one of the things that sets them apart from Alden as a great company. 

Thanks for all of your comments. My question wasnt aimed at a demand for perfection, but for new customers like myself, its about understanding what is to be expected. For instance, I am into custom made leather jackets. I have spent more on jackets than my first few cars. For these products, I know exactly what to expect and what is considered acceptable vs unacceptable when it comes to both animal hides and hand craftsmanship. People new to this level of attention to detail who have only purchased mass produced or off the rack items before often need some help finding that new delineation point between a standard and substandard jacket. I know this isnt in the same ballpark of product, price point, or craftsmanship, but the point is that I've never spent this much on shoes before that were not protective work boots and I'm trying to better understand the standard of workmanship, bot of AE and a made in the USA shoe. Its not about demanding perfection, its about being an informed consumer and ensuring that I am not taken advantage of by paying top dollar for a defective product.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was gonna ask for recommendations on AE belts so I have something that matches really well.

Also, I just realized that I'll have the right polish, so I might polish a belt for the first time in my life. Then again, that might stain my pants, huh? Maybe just use Conditioner/Cleaner.

cry.gif
You will definitely end up with shoe polish on your pants and likely on your shirt where it rubs against your belt. Just use conditioner/cleaner.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been pointed out in this thread (and others) that the Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe Polish (i.e. the kind in a tube with foam applicator) is just rebranded "Collonil Waterstop Colours" polish. The Collonil stuff tends to be a dollar or two cheaper, and they have most of the same Allen Edmonds colours. However, unlike the AE polish, they don't seem to offer a "Chili" colour. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Collonil has an equivalent to the Chili colour, or if this is an AE "exclusive" colour. If not, then I'm guessing that either medium brown or mahogany would be the closest match (depending on if the wearer wants a darker, redder shade or a lighter, browner shade):

Does anyone happen to have any experience with Collonil and Chili-coloured shoes?

I don't know for sure what the exact match would be, but based on my experience with my Chili shoes/polish, it looks like the Burgundy, Fox, Chestnut, or Mahogany would be the most likely candidates for what AE has rebranded as "Chili". Definitely not the medium brown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads