• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys think double monks are going out of style? I live in NYC and wanted to get a pair, but it seems I may be behind the trend on that. Should I just get a more traditional pair of oxfords instead?

I don't think monk straps will go out of style — sure, it's become more main stream in the past two years, but they've existed for quite some time now.

Every type of shoe has it's time and place. With that said, if you don't have your basic shoes covered, I would start with those first.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys think double monks are going out of style? I live in NYC and wanted to get a pair, but it seems I may be behind the trend on that. Should I just get a more traditional pair of oxfords instead?

They are not going out of style.

Jayross

Reaction score
I don't think monk straps will go out of style — sure, it's become more main stream in the past two years, but they've existed for quite some time now.
Every type of shoe has it's time and place. With that said, if you don't have your basic shoes covered, I would start with those first.
I have a pair of AE strands in walnut. I'll probably get either the park or fith ave in a dark brown or bourbon, and then a pair of dub monks in a brown. Do you think that's a fairly balanced shoe collection? I'm mostly wearing them pretty casually, maybe with the ocasional grey suit.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of AE strands in walnut. I'll probably get either the park or fith ave in a dark brown or bourbon, and then a pair of dub monks in a brown. Do you think that's a fairly balanced shoe collection? I'm mostly wearing them pretty casually, maybe with the ocasional grey suit.

If the AE strands in walnut is the only pair of shoe in your collection. I would heavily advise on getting a pair of black shoes. Double monks are fun, but you need to cover your basics for formal occasions as well.

Jayross

Reaction score
If the AE strands in walnut is the only pair of shoe in your collection. I would heavily advise on getting a pair of black shoes. Double monks are fun, but you need to cover your basics for formal occasions as well.
The thing is, I don't really have any formal occasions. I'm 19, just a university student. Black shoes just seem boring to me and not as versatile. and I'm not entirely sure they are necessary.

kentyman

Reaction score
The thing is, I don't really have any formal occasions. I'm 19, just a university student. Black shoes just seem boring to me and not as versatile. and I'm not entirely sure they are necessary.

Keep in mind that they'll come in handy for eventual job interviews, any senior formal type thing you might go to, and unfortunately any funeral you'll need to attend. And if you buy something nice like AEs and take care of them, they'll last you well through your 20s.

bucksfan

Reaction score

Keep in mind that they'll come in handy for eventual job interviews, any senior formal type thing you might go to, and unfortunately any funeral you'll need to attend. And if you buy something nice like AEs and take care of them, they'll last you well through your 20s.

+ the weddings you will start getting invited to soon.

jjr4884

Reaction score
i'd buy those for 450 if they were my size
nod[1].gif

If you were willing to give me that kind of offer less than 10 minutes after I posted them, i would have taken no more than $400 :)

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Wolverine 744s, made by AE, in Horween shell No. 449.
Thanks to MarioImpemba and Cold Iron for bringing them up in the thread and their discussion of them making the 744s another must have for me.
Purchased these as firsts from a vendor on eBay that recently re-stocked... PM me if you want the info.

The shell color on these is a beautiful deep brown that is not as plum-like in color as the AE brown shell.
I am an 8E 5 Last and 8.5D in Daltons and the 744s in 8.5D fit perfect. The toe box is pretty roomy, so no issues with width. The toe is also not as blobby IRL as I had heard others describe and, if it is, it is fine with me.
And, to confirm, these are EXTREMELY comfortable and I could see wearing them whenever I had lots of miles to cover.

The 744 filled the gap in my boot collection for a tobacco brown, casual option.
Much like others have said, I think I have reached a critical mass point and will be hunting only for the next special edition shell or possibly a custom make-up, but no rush.

For comparison, I took a boot group shot.
Left to Right: Fifth Street (black shell), Dalton (chocolate brown calf), Fifth Street (burgundy shell), 744s (Horween 449 brown shell), Fifth Street (brown calf), Dalton (walnut shell), Dalton (walnut calf).

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wolverine 744s, made by AE, in Horween shell No. 449.
Thanks to MarioImpemba and Cold Iron for bringing them up in the thread and their discussion of them making the 744s another must have for me.
Purchased these as firsts from a vendor on eBay that recently re-stocked... PM me if you want the info.

The shell color on these is a beautiful deep brown that is not as plum-like in color as the AE brown shell.
I am an 8E 5 Last and 8.5D in Daltons and the 744s in 8.5D fit perfect. The toe box is pretty roomy, so no issues with width. The toe is also not as blobby IRL as I had heard others describe and, if it is, it is fine with me.
And, to confirm, these are EXTREMELY comfortable and I could see wearing them whenever I had lots of miles to cover.

The 744 filled the gap in my boot collection for a tobacco brown, casual option.
Much like others have said, I think I have reached a critical mass point and will be hunting only for the next special edition shell or possibly a custom make-up, but no rush.

For comparison, I took a boot group shot.
Left to Right: Fifth Street (black shell), Dalton (chocolate brown calf), Fifth Street (burgundy shell), 744s (Horween 449 brown shell), Fifth Street (brown calf), Dalton (walnut shell), Dalton (walnut calf).

Nice collection of boots! Well done horsey boots shoes and very well cared for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads