• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will soon receive the Dalton in Walnut. I plan on wearing the shoe for a long, long time, so I was hoping if anyone could share some tips about caring for the Dalton.
I have these two products:
1. Wilson Leather, Suede and Leather Protector (Water and Stain repellant)
2. Wilson Leather, Leather Lotion

Just to make it even more confusing, I've heard good things about Alden Leather Defender. I plan on obtaining some before allowing my shell Daltons to go play out in the rain and using it in conjunction with venetian shoe cream.

For some reason I trust Alden more than I trust Wilson when it comes to the care of high-quality footwear.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses! I'll purchase the AE Walnut Polish. I guess I'll have to think about the conditioner because of the darkening issue.
Has anyone used the conditioner / cleaner on a Walnut colored calfskin? Could you share your experiences (how much it darkens)? I don't think I'd mind a slight darkening, but not too much.
Thanks again!
P.S. It looks like the Wilson Suede and Leather Protector is also free of silicone and wax (http://www.wilsonsleather.com/info/index.jsp?categoryId=1837229).

Shoe care shouldn't be this complicated, right? It only is for those obsessed...

Saphir Reno not only produces a nice shine but is also a conditioner so you could use the Reno for conditioning instead of the AE product if you are concerned about darkening. Then use cognac polish when needed. I don't think you can go wrong with buying some AE cleaner/conditioner as well since you will most likely have use for it anyway. You could try a small amount of the AE cleaner/conditioner on an inside part of your Daltons and see if the darkening is acceptable to you.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have walnut strands and regularly use the AE leather conditioner/cleaner and AE's walnut polish on them (for whatever reason or quirk, I don't like using Renovateur on my Strands). The conditioner/cleaner has never darkened any of my shoes. The walnut polish, however, is darker than how the strands come in the box. If darkening is that much a of a concern for you, then just use Renovateur and, on occasion, the cognac polish.

Here's the one item that has not been mentioned yet: when you're talking subtle differences between shades of shoe polish, you are not going to damage or permanently discolor your shoes. If walnut is too dark for you, start polishing with cognac or Renovateur.

zchen

Reaction score
Is anyone still selling Bayfield boots?
I returned mine because of issues I had with the grommets. I wish I wouldn't have. Nobody is selling narrow boots for around $300.

Land's End, but I think they only have D sizes
http://www.landsend.com/pp/school-uniform-mens-allen-edmonds-bayfield-captoe-boots~242659_-1.html

you can also check with mr. allaboutshoes who advertises on this forum
http://www.styleforum.net/t/313783/...wly-arrived-long-branch-eagle-county-etc/0_50

zchen

Reaction score
Looking for a more casual casual shoe and am considering the McTavish or the Neumok. Need some help being pushed towards one of them. Thoughts?

Owned both at one point, Mctavish in Black and Neumok in Blue. Overall Neumok is more casual, more comfortable, and the sleeker shoe. Because of material and finish, I felt McTavish is a little less casual than Neumok and heavier.

Please someone can answer this? I need some help... ;)
I ask about the Neumok model

I sized .5 down and 1 up in width (7D->6.5E), best to get fitted at store though

Jigg

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a good fit with the Patriot yet?
Bringing the pair I ordered online to the store tomorrow to see if I can get a better fit.

8bpc

Reaction score

A belt to match Navy Neumoks? Any of these would be suitable, I think.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...001_-1_1_image_0_N_212_212_137811_subcategory
One of those belts are available in red too.

Just took some photos of my navy blue Neumoks with some different pants, different color combinations. Hope this helps somewhat as well. :)

Wow. Above and beyond what I expected from any reply. Thank you for taking the time! You wear a navy belt with all of those fits?

Great combos. When I had navy neumoks, I wore them with blue/indigo or grey jeans.

Are you wearing a navy belt with that combo or another color?

I sized .5 down and 1 up in width (7D->6.5E), best to get fitted at store though

Didn't work for me - down .5 up 1 in width and both heels were slipping terribly. I'm having a terrible time trying to fit them via the mail and no shops carrying them nearby. Love the style, but about ready to give up on them since I cannot seem to figure out the correct size. Maybe last 5 is not my last.

Last edited:

0ShinAkuma0

Reaction score
Wow. Above and beyond what I expected from any reply. Thank you for taking the time! You wear a navy belt with all of those fits?
Are you wearing a navy belt with that combo or another color?

No problem, glad I could help.
About the belt, as of right now I tend to keep it pretty casual with the navy Neumoks, so I'm leaving my shirt untucked and haven't bothered yet to look for an appropriate belt.
I am definitely gonna have to buy a matching belt soon with the cold weather coming, because I personally like to tuck my shirt in when wearing a sweater or jacket.
And yeah, any color combination of pants, I'd stick with the same navy belt.

bucksfan

Reaction score
I think I recently posted this pic of my walnut shell Daltons after treating them with Reno. Not sure if it's just the camera/lighting but bucksfan's boots seem to be a lighter shade of AE's walnut shell than mine, closer to the color of the walnut calf Daltons, I think.

Here they are this morning, I think mine are just a different shade. I have treated them with Renovateur as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members