• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Well, all of this frenzy has been enough to get me to pull the trigger on a phone order.  Here are the specs:

Natural shell Strand
Flat chili welt
Medium brown transparent edge
Wheeled and fudged
Independence insole and outsole

I didn't ask Ryan but I'm guessing I could still change a spec between now and the 10th if I wanted . . . any further suggestions from y'all?

I'm on the fence as to whether to do a natural shell MacNeil as well . . . maybe seven MacNeils are enough?

That is identical to my Strands that I ordered Monday. You have great taste!!!

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, all of this frenzy has been enough to get me to pull the trigger on a phone order. Here are the specs:

Natural shell Strand
Flat chili welt
Wheeled and fudged

I didn't ask Ryan but I'm guessing I could still change a spec between now and the 10th if I wanted . . . any further suggestions from y'all?

I'm on the fence as to whether to do a natural shell MacNeil as well . . . maybe seven MacNeils are enough?
what are your thoughts on natural shell strands? is it so casual that it's only suitable for jeans or chinos, or you think it's possible to dress them up a bit and rock them with wool pants?

the color of natural shell seems really light (the lightest color I've seen for shell), making it prone to waterstains.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the sale coming in November? I'll be in Florida next month so I can go to Nordstorm and give some of the casual shoes a try before I kop online

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on natural shell strands? is it so casual that it's only suitable for jeans or chinos, or you think it's possible to dress them up a bit and rock them with wool pants?

the color of natural shell seems really light (the lightest color I've seen for shell), making it prone to waterstains.

I am expecting them to be relatively close to my Walnut Shell Strands...

-Mike

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
You know what they say about great minds . . .
smile.gif

heybear

Reaction score
I'm wondering about the versatility of the new Bleecker Street. I haven't seen it in person yet. I'm in need of a black dress shoe, but I don't wear black shoes often and I'd get more use out of a boot that could double as a dress shoe. Can Bleecker Street handle both casual and semi-formal? I don't wear suits much, but if the Bleecker Street could stand up to the occasional suit and more regular blazer, it might be more practical for me. I'm considering the Fifth Street, too, but I'm afraid those might be too much in black.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Actually I would think of them as primarily a dress shoe, but one that could drop down to chinos (but not denim). I would not want to wear them on rainy days, so I'm not worried about water stains.

I concur with this assessment. I do not wear Whiskey, Ravello, Walnut or (now) Natural out in the rain and this would not be an exception... They are just too proned to Water "Stains"...

-Mike

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm wondering about the versatility of the new Bleecker Street. I haven't seen it in person yet. I'm in need of a black dress shoe, but I don't wear black shoes often and I'd get more use out of a boot that could double as a dress shoe. Can Bleecker Street handle both casual and semi-formal? I don't wear suits much, but if the Bleecker Street could stand up to the occasional suit and more regular blazer, it might be more practical for me. I'm considering the Fifth Street, too, but I'm afraid those might be too much in black.

I have mine in Dark Chili, but I find them extremely versatile. I absolutely think you could pull off the Black Bleecker with business casual. I'm not sure what casual wear would call for black shoes, but I never wear black shoes at all unless the dress is business formal.

kentyman

Reaction score
Well, all of this frenzy has been enough to get me to pull the trigger on a phone order. Here are the specs:

Natural shell Strand
Flat chili welt
Wheeled and fudged

That is identical to my Strands that I ordered Monday. You have great taste!!!

That's funny; that's precisely what I've planned. The only thing I'm not 100% on is welt and edge colors, though these are where I was leaning. Mind sharing your rationale for not going a notch lighter on either of them? Just wouldn't be enough contrast with Buff/Natural welt or Light Brown Transparent/Toasted/Natural edge?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Natural shell Strand
Flat chili welt
Wheeled and fudged

After a lot of research and debating... Here are all of my final designs...

Model: Strand
Material: Natural Shell Cordovan
Welt: Chili Welt
Edging: Medium Brown Transparent Edging
Outsole: Independence Collection Sole
Lining: Independence Collection Lambskin Lining
Eyelets: Hidden Eyelets (Strand Standard)
Extras: Wheeling and Fudging

Model: First Avenue Dress Boot
Material: Navy Shell Cordovan
Welt: Chili Welt
Edging: Medium Brown Transparent Edging
Outsole: Mini-Lug Tap Sole
Insole: Indy Insole
Lining: Indy Lining
Eyelets: All Antiqued Brass Eylets

Model: Mora 2.0
Welt: Brown Welt
Edging: Brown Edging
Eyelets: Silver Buckles

Model: Grayson
Welt: Brown Welt
Edging: Brown Edging
Eyelets: N/A
Extras: Wheeling and Fudging, Matching Stitching

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have mine in Dark Chili, but I find them extremely versatile. I absolutely think you could pull off the Black Bleecker with business casual. I'm not sure what casual wear would call for black shoes, but I never wear black shoes at all unless the dress is business formal.

I think they would work also and I wear black shoes with black, grey, stone, olive, and cadet colored chinos and cords. I think black leeds with black pants looks pretty awesome.

FyI ...I have no style so take that forr what it's worth. :)

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After a lot of research and debating... Here are all of my final designs... Model: Strand Material: Natural Shell Cordovan Welt: Chili Welt Edging: Medium Brown Transparent Edging Outsole: Independence Collection Sole Lining: Independence Collection Lambskin Lining Eyelets: Hidden Eyelets (Strand Standard) Extras: Wheeling and Fudging
Model: First Avenue Dress Boot Material: Navy Shell Cordovan Welt: Chili Welt Edging: Medium Brown Transparent Edging Outsole: Mini-Lug Tap Sole Insole: Indy Insole Lining: Indy Lining Eyelets: All Antiqued Brass Eylets Extras: Wheeling and Fudging
LL
Model: Mora 2.0 Material: Navy Shell Cordovan Welt: Brown Welt Edging: Brown Edging Outsole: Independence Collection Sole Lining: Independence Collection Lambskin Lining Eyelets: Silver Buckles Extras: Wheeling and Fudging
LL
Model: Grayson Material: Navy Shell Cordovan Welt: Brown Welt Edging: Brown Edging Outsole: Independence Collection Sole Lining: Independence Collection Lambskin Lining Eyelets: N/A Extras: Wheeling and Fudging, Matching Stitching
LL
What sizes are you ordering for the Strand and the First Ave? What size do you normally wear in the 5-last balmorals? And what size do you normally wear in the 5-last bluchers?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
That's funny; that's precisely what I've planned. The only thing I'm not 100% on is welt and edge colors, though these are where I was leaning. Mind sharing your rationale for not going a notch lighter on either of them? Just wouldn't be enough contrast with Buff/Natural welt or Light Brown Transparent/Toasted/Natural edge?

Here are my motivations... I personally strongly dislike the Light Brown Transparent or Toasted edges as I don't like how light the heal stack is. It just looks goofy to me. I have been fighting hard the urge to get my Jefferson's resoled to Medium Brown Transparent...

Objective:

Medium Brown Transparent:

Light Brown Transparent:

Brown:

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
What sizes are you ordering for the Strand and the First Ave? What size do you normally wear in the 5-last balmorals? And what size do you normally wear in the 5-last bluchers?

I only have 5-last Balmoral experience... For the Strand, I am doing an Independence Collection version, and so I am going to be getting a 10.5D. If I had gone with the normal insole and lining, I would have gone with my True-to-Size, 10.5C.

The First Avenue is made on a brand new last actually. It is supposed to have the front end of the 4-Last with the middle and rear of the 5-Last. So, it is essentially the 5-Last with a slightly more generous toe box. They do not have a 10.5C version of this last, so they are going to make me an "Independence Collection" boot to accomodate me and so it will have the thicker Independence Insole and Indy Lining.

I am paying a MTO fee for the boots, Greyson's and Mora's...

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads