1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

2. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

No doubt get the firsts. If the seconds you receive are actually "thirds", then you're out $10 anyway.

1 person likes this.
  3. versusqc

versusqc Well-Known Member

I was surprised to find last week some Walnut Shell Stand in my size on shoebank. My understanding is that they haven't been able to source walnut from horween for over a year now, so I'm wondering why it's only being listed now, but took a chance and here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The color is amazing, but really hard to capture. The flash definitely accentuates the patina. There's some bloom on the right shoe's top line, which I'll brush away before wear. I think the classification as 2nd comes from the top line broguing on the outside of the same shoe which isn't centered. I think I'll keep them :embar:

[​IMG]

The sole looks like the Rendenbach sole you would expect on AE cordovan, but without the "genuine Horween" stamp. Anyone know what's up with that?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

Thanks guys, I agree with the consensus.

5. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Well-Known Member

I have a pair of shell MacNeil firsts that don't have the Horween stamp on the sole either; I think they may stamp some soles and not others, just kinda random.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Great find! Actually, those looks quite light for walnut. Maybe they're mislabeled natural shell. Either way, gorgeous shoes! About the stamp, I think it just means someone at the factory forgot to stamp it. Wouldn't read too much into it.

1 person likes this.
  7. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I don't wear black shoes very often, but what else can you do with black watch plaid? So the black Manchesters got the call.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. versusqc

Thanks for the replies! The flash does make the color lighter than it really is, the toe cap of the right shoe in the second picture (or toe cap of the left shoe in the first picture) is probably more representative of the true color, although the shade seems to change depending on the angle... I'll try to post pictures without flash tonight.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  9. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

That's the older JR sole, from approx. 2012 and earlier. Those walnut strands are new old stock, same with the MacNeils above. Not random.

1 person likes this.
  10. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

Side creasing, indicative of a poor fit? Or normal?
    [​IMG]

11. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

The shoes in my sig are off to FeeBay if one of you don't buy them.

Thanks.

12. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

I get that with some shoes because of flat feet. If the ball of your foot is aligned with the widest part of the sole, I wouldn't stress about it too much.

13. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

I seem to get this in a handful of my shoes, especially the ones that have too much volume for my flat feet/low arches. My Rogues are probably the worst offender.

14. tharkun

tharkun Well-Known Member

Might be. They were off ebay afterall. I meant the stitching around the front on top. I wiggle my foot around all shoes and the stitching is quite hard. The shoes were also too small so maybe that's just why. Still doesn't make me want to try the style again.

15. offset

offset Member

[​IMG]
    First Ave!!

1 person likes this.
  16. Owlbass

Owlbass Active Member

What are peoples thoughts on the poron insole? It's quite comfy but I'm concerned that it won't last last as long as the normal leather insole. Any thoughts? I'm looking at the Barlet in the Independence Line.

Thank you

17. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

Daltons today..

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. zstratiou

zstratiou New Member

Hi I am new here and know pretty much nothing about mens shoes. I am looking for some advice on shoes for my boyfriend. The three options are the neumok in brown distressed leather, the mctavish in cognac dublin leather, or the strandmok in tan or brown.
    [​IMG]neumok-brown distressed
    [​IMG]mctavish-cognac
    [​IMG]strandmok-tan
    [​IMG]strandmok-brown

What would you choose, and why? Thanks for any suggestions.

19. versusqc

It would help to know what your boyfriend will wear them with. With suits/business casual, I would probably go with the mctavish in cognac, otherwise either strandmok work well with jeans. The neumok are only on the allen edmonds website as a warning of what happens if you don't take care of your shoes

20. rayfinkle

rayfinkle Active Member

My choice would be McTavish with no additional information. Most versatile.

Second would be Strandmok (I prefer brown) because they look fantastic with jeans and khakis.

A distant third would be the Neumok. Unless you really know his taste/style, it strikes me as a little too adventurous for a gift.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.