• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradbrah

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to score some brown shell Strand seconds. They are beautiful, but as you can see in the pictures, the right shoe is lighter than the left. I prefer the lighter color. Am I being too picky, or is this a legitimate concern? Would using Reno be able to lighten up the left shoe some? Thanks for your input and guidance.

Shameless bump. Should I send these back or should I give Reno a try? I also want to take them to the cobblers tomorrow to get taps put on them. The coloring difference doesn't bother me too much, but I wouldn't mind lightening the left shoe.

Should I just brush it or will I have to use Reno to remove some of the cream? First shell shoe of mine, so I'm a bit clueless. Any other tips?

Thanks for your help gents.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should I just brush it or will I have to use Reno to remove some of the cream? First shell shoe of mine, so I'm a bit clueless. Any other tips? 

Thanks for your help gents. 
I understand leaving shell out in the sun will lighten it noticeably over time. If you've got some patience and a south-facing window (assuming you're in the northern hemisphere), it might be worth a few weeks' worth of exposure.

Otherwise, bring it up with your cobbler when you have taps installed. A pro might have better ideas than an internet forum. :)

Either way, if they fit, I'd suggest hanging on to them. Horse hides are not getting any more plentiful.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to score some brown shell Strand seconds. They are beautiful, but as you can see in the pictures, the right shoe is lighter than the left. I prefer the lighter color. Am I being too picky, or is this a legitimate concern? Would using Reno be able to lighten up the left shoe some? Thanks for your input and guidance.

I say keep them, would have loved to score a pair of these during the sale. I think reno could help even it out a little or as others have said you can lighten it by putting it in a sunny window, though that would take time.

Or if they are an 8D I will be happy to take them off your hands haha

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Finally got to wear my Shaker Heights for the first time today and besides getting a complement from a woman in the office I have to say that these are really comfortable. Is the lining different in these versus other shoes/boots? They feel very soft and fit my feet well.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Stoked I received my brown shell Jeffersons after almost 5 months of waiting!

WICaniac

Reaction score
Finally got to wear my Shaker Heights for the first time today and besides getting a complement from a woman in the office I have to say that these are really comfortable. Is the lining different in these versus other shoes/boots? They feel very soft and fit my feet well.

I agree about the lining: it's softer than what's in any of the other lined AE shoes.

Just finalized my Shaker Heights MTO with Allison:
  • Brown Chromexcel (1020) everywhere but tongue and side panels.
  • Bitter chocolate suede (1554) tongue and side panels.
  • Independence lining.
  • Comfort insole (the one that is standard on the Shaker Heights).
  • Mini-lug rubber tap sole.
  • Brown regular welt.
  • Dark brown transparent edging.
  • Blind eyelets.
  • Tone-on- stitching throughout.

This concludes my AE bender. I now resume my regularly scheduled life--but I'll be back with pictures in a couple of months.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

It might arrive a bit late for the season but what a great investment -- CXL and suede, with transparent edging? That's going to be a gorgeous makeup!

I agree. I wish that boot was a cap toe (straight tip).

cincikid

Reaction score
Folks, does Allison still honor sale price when ordering an MTO? I was thinking of an MTO Stewart and Elgin, both currently being on sale.

Septimus

Reaction score
I believe the word further up the thread was that Allison does not honor clearance prices when ordering an MTO any longer. I'm not sure if that applies to sale prices or not, but I believe both the Stewart and the Elgin are on clearance, so probably no discount price for an MTO.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask - I don't think it has been established what price actually applies to an MTO of a shoe that is on clearance.

Last edited:

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Folks, does Allison still honor sale price when ordering an MTO? I was thinking of an MTO Stewart and Elgin, both currently being on sale. 

She told me she's no longer able to honor clearance prices for MTO's, but can honor sale prices such as prices during the Rediscover America sale. I'm pretty sure the Stewart and Elgin are on clearance thus the pricing doesn't apply to MTO.

cincikid

Reaction score
She told me she's no longer able to honor clearance prices for MTO's, but can honor sale prices such as prices during the Rediscover America sale. I'm pretty sure the Stewart and Elgin are on clearance thus the pricing doesn't apply to MTO.

I believe the word further up the thread was that Allison does not honor clearance prices when ordering an MTO any longer. I'm not sure if that applies to sale prices or not, but I believe both the Stewart and the Elgin are on clearance, so probably no discount price for an MTO.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask - I don't think it has been established what price actually applies to an MTO of a shoe that is on clearance.
Thanks, guys. This is what I expected. It would be too good to be true.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on my next AE purchase. I want to add some Bourbon into my lineup. My current list is:

Black Flatirons
Brown Fifth Streets
Merlot McAllisters
Walnut Players
Walnut Strands

I really like the AE Bourbon, so I hope to have use these next pair of shoes as my go-to shoes for suits (I only wear suits a handful of times throughout the year), but also a little more versatile for business casual use with slacks and a button down.I like the clean look the Kenilworth or the Flatirons. I'm guessing many of you would recommend the Moras to add some monk straps to my lineup, but I guess I don't see the appeal of monk straps. I'm definitely open to hear any suggestions you SF might have. Thanks!
What about any of these? You can always double down on a shoe you like in a different color (Strand, Mcallister)...

or go Larchmont if you're looking for an LWB (not in your repertoire), or more versatility...I like mine, and they're not straight business/dress/formal:

Bonkers in bourbon.

fourspin

Reaction score
What about any of these? You can always double down on a shoe you like in a different color (Strand, Mcallister)...

or go Larchmont if you're looking for an LWB (not in your repertoire), or more versatility...I like mine, and they're not straight business/dress/formal:

Bonkers in bourbon.
Those Larchmonts are the hawtness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads