• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
I guess people have different reasons for applying a topy (sole guard) but I like them because they protect the soles from water specifically. I like butyl soles, however, because the the oil is supposed to provide that protection thereby negating the need for a topy.

That said, never had to worry about broken glass before.
I never tried it personally, but I've heard that you can't apply topy to the butyl sole. It will stick for a bit bit but will come off eventually, due to the sole being saturated in oils. I am curious to see if this is indeed the case.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

Wanted to post my experience with some Alden Leather Defender I just purchased.  I was Mac methoding my shell Alden captoes (which I bought new) and the shell Townleys (also bought new).  I bought the Defender to prevent the dots that form when you get some water spots, etc. 

You're supposed to apply the Defender with a cloth and then remove it  AFTER you mac method or shine your shell shoes.  For the Alden's it was no problem. I added the Defender and the same luster and shine remained. For the AEs. the white cloth I used had brown stains that were removed by the Defender.  Even more, the shoes were murky and lost the luster.  The shine definitely was reduced. It was like applying butter to some previously shiny shoes. The Alden cloth had no stains after I used it.

So, I reMac'd the Townleys and re-attained the shine. Did not re-apply the Defender.  I probably removed the Defender, but not sure.  It may be that the polish that AE adds on came off a bit, but I don't know. 

I've probably Mac'd the Aldens 2-3 times and the Townleys 5 or 6.  I've never applied any Saphir products or Venetian creme to either of these. Just Mac'd and some flannel cloths to bring out the shine. 

Alden's leather defender works just fine on AE Cordovan. You applied it on top of a thick layer of polish/creme that the AE factory applied to protect the shoes. Remove the polish using a damp cloth or Saphir Reno (may have to do this several times to get it all off) and then reapply the defender. This has always worked for me.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Could transportation be an issue? Mongolia is landlocked, if memory serves.

yes... it is landlocked... that hasn't stopped them from exporting other goods though. I suppose it would be more expensive to ship, but they could also acquire the horse hides for much cheaper though.

lukejackson

Reaction score
Anyone know what last the Saratoga tassel loafer is in? Can't find anything online. Anyone have a pair and know? Details on the fit/last welcome. Thanks

Subutai

Reaction score

yes... it is landlocked... that hasn't stopped them from exporting other goods though.  I suppose it would be more expensive to ship, but they could also acquire the horse hides for much cheaper though.

Serious question, don't Mongolians use steppe ponies rather than the horses with which most westerners are familiar? If so, I wonder if their hides would work as well. I have no depth of knowledge in tanning leathers...

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score

what is this from? This is why there is a cordovan shortage... because westerners can't stand the idea of eating horse meat. Somehow it's ok to eat cows, sheep, and pigs but not horses.

I wonder if I slaughter and skin my own horse if I could send the hide to horween...
fing02[1].gif

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Serious question, don't Mongolians use steppe ponies rather than the horses with which most westerners are familiar? If so, I wonder if their hides would work as well. I have no depth of knowledge in tanning leathers...

the horses are smaller, but horses still. I think the shells would still be plenty big... But I'm no expert on horses, or Tanning so I could be completely wrong. It's possible that They've already checked into the Mongolia thing and it didn't work out.

The horses are smaller, but not small enough that they wouldn't produce shells big enough for shoe making. As far as thickness goes, if anything I would imagine their hides are thicker than western horse hides... again, I could be TOTALLY off base here.

cincikid

Reaction score
yes... it is landlocked... that hasn't stopped them from exporting other goods though. I suppose it would be more expensive to ship, but they could also acquire the horse hides for much cheaper though.
True. I guess Central Asia would be my bet were I in the need of obtaining shells in large quantities. I guess there might be other factors though, maybe a different breed of horses with smaller shells?
dozingoff.gif

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
what is this from? This is why there is a cordovan shortage... because westerners can't stand the idea of eating horse meat. Somehow it's ok to eat cows, sheep, and pigs but not horses.

I wonder if I slaughter and skin my own horse if I could send the hide to horween...
fing02%5B1%5D.gif
In the western culture, horses are considered what one could call a very utilitarian animal. They have been used for a wide variety of purposes, such as hunting, ploughing, moving people and cargo, you name it, whereas cows, sheep and pigs were bred solely to be consumed. I think we have inherited a completely different attitude to the horses than to the other domesticated animals.

kentyman

Reaction score
My McTavish soles look just like that after 3 days in London last weekend. Was wondering what to do about it (if anything)...

At first I thought it was just Basel's cobblestone roads. Perhaps a combination of both.

Let us know if you will be able to apply a Vibram outsole to the butyl sole. I am interested in the outcome, since I was told a few times it won't adhere to the butyl sole, which is soaked in oil.
I guess people have different reasons for applying a topy (sole guard) but I like them because they protect the soles from water specifically. I like butyl soles, however, because the the oil is supposed to provide that protection thereby negating the need for a topy.

That said, never had to worry about broken glass before.
I never tried it personally, but I've heard that you can't apply topy to the butyl sole. It will stick for a bit bit but will come off eventually, due to the sole being saturated in oils. I am curious to see if this is indeed the case.

I've read the same thing about putting a topy on butyl. Then again, it might be different when the sole has been cheese grated...

If you're worried about the soles that much pick one of the following:

1) Don't look at them.
2) Budget for a resole job.
3) Topy.

I like a combo of 1 and 3 personally.

I'm not "worried" per se, but like to take care of my stuff so that it lasts as long as possible. #2) Of course I can resole them, but would rather not do that prematurely. #3) Topy might work, but as others mentioned it can be tricky on butyl soles. #1) Not really a helpful response, as I'm not concerned about the look but rather how long they'll last and how well they'll keep water out of the rest of my shoes.

kentyman

Reaction score

fing02%5B1%5D.gif

It's from Game of Thrones.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
In the western culture, horses are considered what one could call a very utilitarian animal. They have been used for a wide variety of purposes, such as hunting, ploughing, moving people and cargo, you name it, whereas cows, sheep and pigs were bred solely to be consumed. I think we have inherited a completely different attitude to the horses than to the other domesticated animals.

To be fair, Mongolians use horses for those things too. They use horses today like westerners used them before machines were invented to do the horses job. The difference is that when they are too old to use for those things, they kill them, and eat them.

lostron

Reaction score

Quote:
At first I thought it was just Basel's cobblestone roads. Perhaps a combination of both.

Quote:Quote:Quote:
I've read the same thing about putting a topy on butyl. Then again, it might be different when the sole has been cheese grated...

Quote:
I'm not "worried" per se, but like to take care of my stuff so that it lasts as long as possible. #2) Of course I can resole them, but would rather not do that prematurely. #3) Topy might work, but as others mentioned it can be tricky on butyl soles. #1) Not really a helpful response, as I'm not concerned about the look but rather how long they'll last and how well they'll keep water out of the rest of my shoes.
I have rubber soles on all my shoes. It makes them less slippery and thinks it is better for the life of the shoes.

cincikid

Reaction score

I just chatted with Nick V. from B.Nelson Shoe Repair in NYC on a similar matter. I sent him a pair of Wolverins last week so that he'd put on Vibram Raptor outsoles. Just earlier today he confirmed that he can't do it as the cement wouldn't adhere to the oily surface of the leather regardless of whether it has been grated or not..

cincikid

Reaction score
To be fair, Mongolians use horses for those things too. They use horses today like westerners used them before machines were invented to do the horses job. The difference is that when they are too old to use for those things, they kill them, and eat them.
It might be a western attitude then. Koreans also eat dogs too, which we don't.
I must admit though, that people do eat horse meat in Europe (but not in the UK) and I think I tried it in a form of sausage more than once. There's actually an interesting Wiki article on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads