• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
they should buy from Mongolia... There is loads of horses there, and they are treated as livestock, not pets. Also, hundreds and hundreds die every winter from the cold. I lived there for a few years and ate horse meat all the time.
Could transportation be an issue? Mongolia is landlocked, if memory serves.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to post my experience with some Alden Leather Defender I just purchased. I was Mac methoding my shell Alden captoes (which I bought new) and the shell Townleys (also bought new). I bought the Defender to prevent the dots that form when you get some water spots, etc.

You're supposed to apply the Defender with a cloth and then remove it AFTER you mac method or shine your shell shoes. For the Alden's it was no problem. I added the Defender and the same luster and shine remained. For the AEs. the white cloth I used had brown stains that were removed by the Defender. Even more, the shoes were murky and lost the luster. The shine definitely was reduced. It was like applying butter to some previously shiny shoes. The Alden cloth had no stains after I used it.

So, I reMac'd the Townleys and re-attained the shine. Did not re-apply the Defender. I probably removed the Defender, but not sure. It may be that the polish that AE adds on came off a bit, but I don't know.

I've probably Mac'd the Aldens 2-3 times and the Townleys 5 or 6. I've never applied any Saphir products or Venetian creme to either of these. Just Mac'd and some flannel cloths to bring out the shine.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wanted to post my experience with some Alden Leather Defender I just purchased.  I was Mac methoding my shell Alden captoes (which I bought new) and the shell Townleys (also bought new).  I bought the Defender to prevent the dots that form when you get some water spots, etc. 

You're supposed to apply the Defender with a cloth and then remove it  AFTER you mac method or shine your shell shoes.  For the Alden's it was no problem. I added the Defender and the same luster and shine remained. For the AEs. the white cloth I used had brown stains that were removed by the Defender.  Even more, the shoes were murky and lost the luster.  The shine definitely was reduced. It was like applying butter to some previously shiny shoes. The Alden cloth had no stains after I used it.

So, I reMac'd the Townleys and re-attained the shine. Did not re-apply the Defender.  I probably removed the Defender, but not sure.  It may be that the polish that AE adds on came off a bit, but I don't know. 

I've probably Mac'd the Aldens 2-3 times and the Townleys 5 or 6.  I've never applied any Saphir products or Venetian creme to either of these. Just Mac'd and some flannel cloths to bring out the shine. 

Why not just use we cordovan care cream?

jaywhyy

Reaction score
lighter colors like cappuccino?
Cappucino is a subset of brown/cigar, which do need better hides than color 8 or black. Horween likely produces very little of cappucino-finished shell, relegating those hides for brown, cigar, and dark cognac.

kentyman

Reaction score
So I just took a look at my ("Dark Brown") Cognac McTavishes after my trip to Europe and realized the double butyl soles took a real beating. It seems that broken glass shards in the streets and/or pubs of Basel, Switzerland found their way into the outsole and really did a number on them. It looks like they've been through a cheese grater.

I've since taken as much of the glass out as I could, but I wonder if there's anything I can to do the damaged sole. Perhaps Conditioner/Cleaner or Leather Lotion to replenish the dry fibers?

Right, with glass, with flash:

Right, with glass:

Right, with glass, closeup:

Left, no glass:

Last edited:

BigRob

Reaction score

Should I use shoe trees in my AE Bayfield (CXL leather)? My feet tend to sweat more with these than with any others - I've just been wearing them around the house trying to get the new-boot squeak out of them and my socks are damp.

I'd like to dry them out with shoe trees, but I'm afraid they'll deform the boots. Please advise.

OlafG

Reaction score
Yes. Always shoe trees in leather shoes/boots.

If the shoe trees are the correct size they shouldn't deform the shoes.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My McTavish soles look just like that after 3 days in London last weekend. Was wondering what to do about it (if anything)...

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just use we cordovan care cream?

Reviews on that cream are not that good esp. in the SF community.

However, my purpose for the Leather Defender is to waterproof the shell as much as possible. I avoid wearing shell when we are having rain in the forecast. However, you can get water sprinkles during surprise showers and in public toilets etc.

I'm confident that the Macmethod is all you need to get the best shine on your shell shoes.

cincikid

Reaction score
My McTavish soles look just like that after 3 days in London last weekend. Was wondering what to do about it (if anything)...

So I just took a look at my ("Dark Brown") Cognac McTavishes after my trip to Europe and realized the double butyl soles took a real beating. It seems that broken glass shards in the streets and/or pubs of Basel, Switzerland found their way into the outsole and really did a number on them. It looks like they've been through a cheese grater.

I've since taken as much of the glass out as I could, but I wonder if there's anything I can to do the damaged sole. Perhaps Conditioner/Cleaner or Leather Lotion to replenish the dry fibers?

Let us know if you will be able to apply a Vibram outsole to the butyl sole. I am interested in the outcome, since I was told a few times it won't adhere to the butyl sole, which is soaked in oil.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're worried about the soles that much pick one of the following:

1) Don't look at them.
2) Budget for a resole job.
3) Topy.

I like a combo of 1 and 3 personally.

Reviews on that cream are not that good esp. in the SF community.

However, my purpose for the Leather Defender is to waterproof the shell as much as possible. I avoid wearing shell when we are having rain in the forecast. However, you can get water sprinkles during surprise showers and in public toilets etc.

I'm confident that the Macmethod is all you need to get the best shine on your shell shoes.

The spots come off with a cloth after a sprinkle right?

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're worried about the soles that much pick one of the following:

1) Don't look at them.
2) Budget for a resole job.
3) Topy.

I like a combo of 1 and 3 personally.

The spots come off with a cloth after a sprinkle right?
Sometimes. I will wipe the shoes down with the back of my pants to wipe the surface of the shoes dry. However, that's not exact. When I miss them, I will push them down with a metal spoon, then mac method (at the end of the day). The raised bumps aren't visible to 99.99% of the population, but I KNOW they're there.

Subutai

Reaction score

Let us know if you will be able to apply a Vibram outsole to the butyl sole. I am interested in the outcome, since I was told a few times it won't adhere to the butyl sole, which is soaked in oil.  

I guess people have different reasons for applying a topy (sole guard) but I like them because they protect the soles from water specifically. I like butyl soles, however, because the the oil is supposed to provide that protection thereby negating the need for a topy.

That said, never had to worry about broken glass before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads