• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Boot / Shoe Appreciation Thread (White Cloud, Rolling Dub Trio, John Lofgren, Clinch, etc.

lurker33

Reaction score
John Lofgren Combat Boot in Shinki Shell Olive

Simultaneously enthralled with the boots and disgusted with myself. I’ve never had any interest in anything I’ve encountered in shell until these. The thinness of the material is a bit scary considering the price. I’m pretty sure the cap toe and the backstay ain’t shell, I’m guessing CXL???? Really interested to see how these wear, the only Lofgren offering in shell I’ve seen were those waxed Shadow Shell boots. One of the boots has a decent sized ‘hotspot’ on the inside vamp that seems like the shell was maybe a little overworked, it’s distended and discolored…annoying, but not that visible. I emailed about it and got a vague reply that didn’t address my concern, but they were willing to have me return the boots if I wanted. I decided to keep ‘em have just brushed the hell out of the spot and it’s helping and the weird spot seems to be settling in with some wear. Either way, the boots are gorgeous, probably overpriced, but maybe not…time will tell.
congrats! the cap toe looks like shell to me? Does it not feel like it?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Simultaneously enthralled with the boots and disgusted with myself. I’ve never had any interest in anything I’ve encountered in shell until these. The thinness of the material is a bit scary considering the price. I’m pretty sure the cap toe and the backstay ain’t shell, I’m guessing CXL???? Really interested to see how these wear, the only Lofgren offering in shell I’ve seen were those waxed Shadow Shell boots. One of the boots has a decent sized ‘hotspot’ on the inside vamp that seems like the shell was maybe a little overworked, it’s distended and discolored…annoying, but not that visible. I emailed about it and got a vague reply that didn’t address my concern, but they were willing to have me return the boots if I wanted. I decided to keep ‘em have just brushed the hell out of the spot and it’s helping and the weird spot seems to be settling in with some wear. Either way, the boots are gorgeous, probably overpriced, but maybe not…time will tell.
Its all shell. Shinki isn't the best choice for footwear (its often the top pick for small goods instead), and that texture on the toes and heels is probably oversteaming or something from lasting effecting the finish and causing it to be a bit more matte. Miyagi Kogyo doesn't do a lot of shell; and makers that aren't as used to working with shell run into these issues.

Larry Darrell

Reaction score
Its all shell. Shinki isn't the best choice for footwear (its often the top pick for small goods instead), and that texture on the toes and heels is probably oversteaming or something from lasting effecting the finish and causing it to be a bit more matte. Miyagi Kogyo doesn't do a lot of shell; and makers that aren't as used to working with shell run into these issues.
Seem reasonable. Thanks 🙏🏼

Reaction score
Anyone have intel on Addict Clothes service boot sizing? I'm 7E and the site is saying I should choose 7, but Butterscotch says E width should size up.

qtip.416

Reaction score

Simultaneously enthralled with the boots and disgusted with myself. I’ve never had any interest in anything I’ve encountered in shell until these. The thinness of the material is a bit scary considering the price. I’m pretty sure the cap toe and the backstay ain’t shell, I’m guessing CXL???? Really interested to see how these wear, the only Lofgren offering in shell I’ve seen were those waxed Shadow Shell boots. One of the boots has a decent sized ‘hotspot’ on the inside vamp that seems like the shell was maybe a little overworked, it’s distended and discolored…annoying, but not that visible. I emailed about it and got a vague reply that didn’t address my concern, but they were willing to have me return the boots if I wanted. I decided to keep them and have just brushed the hell out of the spot and it’s helping with the color and the weird spot seems to be settling in with some wear. Either way, the boots are gorgeous, probably overpriced, maybe not…time will tell.
These are incredibly beautiful boots. Are those tongue kilties?

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like that boot
Vettore-Boots%2C-Kudo-Chestnut-Profile.jpg

sajesak

Reaction score
I realize that many of the Japanese boot and shoe makers are so small that they may not get as much attention or their own thread for each brand. Searching on this forum, you can find hits on these buried in other threads but I have been unable to find a lot of information on various makers, models available, reviews, and boot Appreciation. I know there are a lot of Japanese sneakers and dress shoe manufacturers out there so feel free to post those too.

I am fascinated by the attention to detail and the construction of these boutique shoe makers in Japan and I would love to see what you have especially with some wear and patina. I don't own any yet or I would start out but I do have a pair of the John Lofgren Dark Olive boots in the mail so I will post when they arrive. If they fit well, I may also get the M-43 boots but I need to figure out their strange sizing first. I'm also eyeing some Rolling Dub Trio boots but we will see on those. Until then, please post away and discuss.

If this thread was already created, please direct me to it as I cannot find one like Exploring On Cloud Shoe Hype.
I was wondering what everyone thought of the easy cloud boot. My horse has sensitive feet and gets sore when trailering long distances. Also, would they be able to handle a light trail ride when he doesn't have his shoes on? He is quite a baby when it comes to walking on anything other than dirt barefoot.

Franko

Reaction score
I recieved a pair of new Olive CXL John Lofgren Combat boots. I had been wanting these for so long, but am a little disappointed with the stitching. I assumed at the price point you’re paying for top craftsmanship, but the welt stitch on one is basically on the edge…Is this acceptable?
IMG_3635.png

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recieved a pair of new Olive CXL John Lofgren Combat boots. I had been wanting these for so long, but am a little disappointed with the stitching. I assumed at the price point you’re paying for top craftsmanship, but the welt stitch on one is basically on the edge…Is this acceptable? View attachment 2078397
Just a welt join man. You'll see that on almost all GYW shoes/boots

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads