• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WICaniac

Reaction score
The seconds I received are--so far as I can tell--perfect. Neither my wife nor I can discern a single flaw, and the salesman at our local AE outlet indicated that he and his associates usually struggle to determine why a pair of shoes failed inspection. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair of seconds, which you can always return if anything is not to your liking.

ynzr

Reaction score
New addition to my humble AE collection...

the Franciscan in black custom calf.

In case anyone is interested, I had to go down half a size from my other AEs that are on the 222 last.

kentyman

Reaction score

Anyone else with a different opinion of the seconds?

Factory seconds are a great way to go for those that can't afford or justify paying full price. 7 out of 11 of my pairs are seconds, and I love them. I especially like seconds for casual shoes, as I expect them to get more beat up. I only buy firsts when there is a great deal, like the McAllisters for $100 off. Actually, I think all of my seconds had extra money off, too (counting closeout discounts).

I suggest you give them a try. You should have free shopping both ways, so there's no risk -- other than getting addicted.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
There are many who say that the shoe fits differently, but experiences vary from person to person. It is the Poron insole that is causing it to fit differently on many people. The sole (outsole) is different, but it has nothing to do with fit. AE stores are wonderful to deal with, so you can probably just relax, give it a shot if you want to, and return them if they don't fit. I haven't heard of any circumstances that would prevent you from returning them even though they are marked as a "closeout." They will even pay for shipping, so it really is a no-stress situation. Yes, the Elgin is on the 5-last, and $179 is a fantastic price. I say give it a shot, because they pretty much don't give you any reason not to.

I did mean insole even though I typed sole. Thank you for the advice. I plan to pick them up if they are available in my TTS. If not, I may give them a shot anyway and return if they don't fit.

jbcohen

Reaction score
On a poll of men's favorite dress shoes Allen Edmonds barely beat out Johnson and Murphy, a poll on a different forum, and I love my Johnson and Murphy shoes so I can imagine what the Allen Edmonds must be like. This is exactly why I am so interested in acquiring a pair even if they are seconds.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
On a poll of men's favorite dress shoes Allen Edmonds barely beat out Johnson and Murphy, a poll on a different forum, and I love my Johnson and Murphy shoes so I can imagine what the Allen Edmonds must be like. This is exactly why I am so interested in acquiring a pair even if they are seconds.

If there's an AE outlet near you go try on several pair. If not, email [email protected] and ask them for a list of available shoes in your size. Every model may size differently on you so go to a store if there's one near you and get sized. If there's not a store near you you can try Nordstrom. If there's a Nordstrom Rack near you, you may find something there as well.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Is the burgundy calf (not Merlot) corrected grain? I bought some burgundy shoes, and the leather feels like corrected grain.

kentyman

Reaction score

Email [email protected] with your likely sizes and see what you can find. Through May 27th, non-Closeout seconds are 15% off the price they list unless they're specifically mentioned on this document. In those cases, there are some even better deals. In particular, you can pick up Brooks Brothers versions of many staple models for only $159, instead of the standard $345 (plus or minus) prices. Great way to pick up a Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand, McAllister, Elgin, McTavish, Neumok, Shelton, or some pebble longwing for over half off.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
BB Strand in Brown came in today. Some discoloration in the sole edge and minor chips, but I'll live. Awesome shoes. Going to run some condition cleaner and redress the edge before wearing.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never get tired of looking at the brown Strand. Very nice, sir!

BB Strand in Brown came in today. Some discoloration in the sole edge and minor chips, but I'll live. Awesome shoes. Going to run some condition cleaner and redress the edge before wearing.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own a pair of "Auburns." Not sure how old mine are, but they are a black calf, shortwing blucher. I am trying to figure out which last they are built on. They look similar to the players shoe, but I know for sure they are not the same last as I couldn't wear the same size in the players (incredibly uncomfortable). Thanks in advance!

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own a pair of "Auburns." Not sure how old mine are, but they are a black calf, shortwing blucher. I am trying to figure out which last they are built on. They look similar to the players shoe, but I know for sure they are not the same last as I couldn't wear the same size in the players (incredibly uncomfortable). Thanks in advance!
I have them in black. They're on the 1 last.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the strand on the whole with black being the one exception. It's not that the black looks bad just don't as good as the others. I feel like all of the awesome broguing isnt as visible like it is in the other models. I am considering a second pair in bourbon that color really sings to me.

I noticed another post mentioned corrected grain, is this accurate that AE uses it? If so is it on lower models primarily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads