• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWN

Reaction score
Email Shoe Bank ([email protected]) for the inventory of Seconds in your size(s).
I ordered a pair of Brooks Bros. Fifth Ave. last week. $159, and no noticeable defects. Perfectly aligned captoe. I was happy. They also had a number of BB Strands available.

Seconds will not be on the AE website. You have to call or email the outlet stores to purchase them.
+1.
Ah, I see. Thanks!

Question: why do you refer to them in their BB names/alternative?

MrWN

Reaction score
Email Shoe Bank ([email protected]) for the inventory of Seconds in your size(s).
I ordered a pair of Brooks Bros. Fifth Ave. last week. $159, and no noticeable defects. Perfectly aligned captoe. I was happy. They also had a number of BB Strands available.

Seconds will not be on the AE website. You have to call or email the outlet stores to purchase them.
+1.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Question: why do you refer to them in their BB names/alternatives?

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Urgent question: There's one Elgin left in my size after contacting one of the outlets. It's not listed as "Brooks Bros." but when I asked she said it is the BB model. I'm a 7.5E on the 5 last and many here have said that the different sole in the BB makes it fit differently. I don't have a lot of room in my McAllister in 7.5E so I'm worried if I get the same size in the BB Elgin it won't fit. The woman I'm emailing with insists it'll fit the same even if the sole is different.

Thoughts? If I were to have her look for one in a different size would I go with 7.5EE, 8D, 8E??? I don't have the opportunity to try them on because they are "seconds" and not near me. I'm pretty sure the Elgin is on the 5 last, yea?

EDIT: Also, while we're at it... is $179 a good price? It's listed as "Closeout" and I know there was some confusion earlier about the sale including Closeouts. It retails at BB for $298.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Close Hoarse

Reaction score
Ah, thank you for the heads up!

Hopefully they'll do something similar this weekend.

I can't find the Brook Brother's Strands 2nds on AE's website though.

Or were you referring to the "Strand Cap-toe Oxfords"?
You'll need to call one of their outlet stores.
CH

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Urgent question: There's one Elgin left in my size after contacting one of the outlets. It's not listed as "Brooks Bros." but when I asked she said it is the BB model. I'm a 7.5E on the 5 last and many here have said that the different sole in the BB makes it fit differently. I don't have a lot of room in my McAllister in 7.5E so I'm worried if I get the same size in the BB Elgin it won't fit. The woman I'm emailing with insists it'll fit the same even if the sole is different.

Thoughts? If I were to have her look for one in a different size would I go with 7.5EE, 8D, 8E??? I don't have the opportunity to try them on because they are "seconds" and not near me. I'm pretty sure the Elgin is on the 5 last, yea?

EDIT: Also, while we're at it... is $179 a good price? It's listed as "Closeout" and I know there was some confusion earlier about the sale including Closeouts. It retails at BB for $298.

Thanks!

There are many who say that the shoe fits differently, but experiences vary from person to person. It is the Poron insole that is causing it to fit differently on many people. The sole (outsole) is different, but it has nothing to do with fit. AE stores are wonderful to deal with, so you can probably just relax, give it a shot if you want to, and return them if they don't fit. I haven't heard of any circumstances that would prevent you from returning them even though they are marked as a "closeout." They will even pay for shipping, so it really is a no-stress situation. Yes, the Elgin is on the 5-last, and $179 is a fantastic price. I say give it a shot, because they pretty much don't give you any reason not to.

Last edited:

jbcohen

Reaction score
That's a lot of shoes bucksfan. I have been limiting myself two two pairs so far.

I wonder about an appropriate shining regimen myself moneywellspent. I admit that I have never shined my shoes in the past, just shined my first pair this morning.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
Jump, like MWS said you can return them if they don't work nothing lost except the shoe if someone else gets it before you. I am normally a 10D on the 5 last my Elgin's fit best at 9.5D. The poron insole will take up additional room so good chance that the Elgin in your normal TTS on the 5 will fit you. Great shoe.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of shoes bucksfan. I have been limiting myself two two pairs so far.

I wonder about an appropriate shining regimen myself moneywellspent. I admit that I have never shined my shoes in the past, just shined my first pair this morning.

What shoes are we talking about? I noticed your question in another thread that you started about shining your shoes yourself vs. having a professional do it... I think you will find that most people around here shine their own shoes. It is far more cost effective, and basic shoe care using readily available products is not only a good skill to have, it is very easy. Shoe care is only as complicated as you make it. If you want them to look like mirrors, there is definitely skill and learning involved. However, if you just want them to look clean, healthy, and have an attractive glow, then the basics are all you need to worry about.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I wish my Opto doc dressed as nicely as I bet you do. I like when I see a professional who looks the part!

I wish my associates felt the same way. One of them typically wears scrubs even when he doesn't have any surgical cases that day. On the rare occasion that he "dresses up", it's square-toed shoes, ill-fitting khakis and a short-sleeved polo.

By the way, Denver is one of my favorite cities. My grandparents live in Longmont, CO and I spent many a summers in college working for the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
With all this talk of black pants, wore my black westchesters recently with some black pants

Impeccable fit on the suit, cbtaylor. For some reason I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing loafers with no socks in any situation, especially with a suit.

Although, just 2 years ago I swore I'd never wear corduroy pants...
satisfied.gif

Last edited:

gtvisa2002

Reaction score
I couldn't get anything more than a dull shine either using just the AE tube polish. Well, I guess the shine is a bit better than "dull" but it definitely isn' the elusive mirror shine. I'm going to order some saphir wax this week and hope that it will do the trick. I'm not sure if the black Park Avenues can actually achieve the mirror shine. If anyone has any pics of mirror shined Park Avenues...please post pictures along with an explanation of what you did exactly. It would be greatly appreciated.

I tried that too.
Used AE tube polish and conditioner, cleaner. Nothing more.

1. Cleaned
2. Applied conditioner and cleaner
3. Used an old t-shirt to clean
4. Used polish (premium tube from AE)
5. AE brush
6. Very little, if not nothing, water
7. Used the t-shirt again

This is all I could get (Right is the polished one, if you couldn't tell
dozingoff.gif
). I guess you really need wax to get the mirror.

Last edited:

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Another question about shoes and pants/suits: Ive been planning on getting a pair of black wholecuts (probably meermin as they are the cheapest) as my formal/suit shoe. I dont plan on buying a black suit in the foreseeable future, it will likely be a dark charcoal, possibly a dark navy. Is this ok with black shoes? I dont seem to recall seeing people wearing anything other than black shoes with dark grey/dark navy shoes (with the occasional tan/brown)

Septimus

Reaction score
Black shoes are fine, traditional and conservative even, with dark gray and navy suits. Wholecuts should also be fine.

cbtaylor

Reaction score
Impeccable fit on the suit, cbtaylor. For some reason I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing loafers with no socks in any situation, especially with a suit.

Although, just 2 years ago I swore I'd never wear corduroy pants...
satisfied.gif

Another question about shoes and pants/suits: Ive been planning on getting a pair of black wholecuts (probably meermin as they are the cheapest) as my formal/suit shoe. I dont plan on buying a black suit in the foreseeable future, it will likely be a dark charcoal, possibly a dark navy. Is this ok with black shoes? I dont seem to recall seeing people wearing anything other than black shoes with dark grey/dark navy shoes (with the occasional tan/brown)

I think Navy and black works, here are my Park Ave with Navy

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear black balmorals with my charcoal suit all the time. I also wear them with my navy suit on occasion when the situation or the tie color calls for it. 90% of the time, I wear brown balmorals with my navy suit.

I think Navy and black works, here are my Park Ave with Navy

No offense, but this doesn't work for me. Black shoes go with a navy suit due to the formality of both. Black shoes with navy slacks and an odd jacket: I'm not feeling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads