• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pudman43

Reaction score

Factory seconds are a great way to go for those that can't afford or justify paying full price. 7 out of 11 of my pairs are seconds, and I love them. I especially like seconds for casual shoes, as I expect them to get more beat up. I only buy firsts when there is a great deal, like the McAllisters for $100 off. Actually, I think all of my seconds had extra money off, too (counting closeout discounts).

I suggest you give them a try. You should have free shopping both ways, so there's no risk -- other than getting addicted.
+1.

7 of my 9 pairs are seconds, and only a couple had a noticeable flaw, though none so bad I had to send back. I too have had a great track record with AE seconds, and strongly suggest you give it a try. J

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else with a different opinion of the seconds?
I got a pair of seconds in brown shell patriots a couple weeks back. The defect was obvious, as there are some wrinkles on the inside of the right ankle area. not a big deal to me, partly as it is in a hidden spot, but also as I don't tend to wear loafers much. So the price paid ($365 +/- iirc), I felt it a good deal off regular price

gtvisa2002

Reaction score
The polished shoe clearly looks better than the unpolished shoe. You did a fine job. There is no "guessing" that you need wax to get a mirror shine... you absolutely have to have wax to get a mirror shine.
biggrin.gif
If you feel like your results in the photo above are too dull, then by all means, give wax a shot. Good looking pair of PA's!

Thanks MoneyWellSpent.
I appreciate your feedback.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love the strand on the whole with black being the one exception. It's not that the black looks bad just don't as good as the others. I feel like all of the awesome broguing isnt as visible like it is in the other models. I am considering a second pair in bourbon that color really sings to me.

I noticed another post mentioned corrected grain, is this accurate that AE uses it? If so is it on lower models primarily?

I like the black Strand, but I would agree that the other colors showcase the broguing better.

adamdurbin

Reaction score
I have a pair of burgundy vintage fifth avenues that are corrected grain. I wear them in the rain. Didn't know it when I bought them.

Is the burgundy calf (not Merlot) corrected grain? I bought some burgundy shoes, and the leather feels like corrected grain. 

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black shoes are really the only thing color shoes that work with black pants.

Also, stop wearing black pants. Get some mid-gray ones. Those will look good with your dark brown shoes.

There is place for black pants in a well rounded wardrobe. Not a necessity, but definitely permissible.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Purchased two pair of Tan Suede Neumoks from the Shoe Bank. Both had noticeable flaws, but nothing to be concerned about.

I have yet to buy a pair of leather seconds, hopefully those will be wearable as well.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I have a pair of burgundy vintage fifth avenues that are corrected grain. I wear them in the rain. Didn't know it when I bought them.
Me neither, too bad I already wore them otherwise I'd return. Off to the BST I go..

Fabian43

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the thought process behind having fewer black dress shoes compared to shades of brown? I only have one black dress pant so it's not like I wear a lot of black but I do like wearing black dress shoes with my navy and grey pants. Just feel like pairing some black Westchesters or Rutledge with a nice pair of slacks and a tie looks good. Am I missing something?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the thought process behind having fewer black dress shoes compared to shades of brown? I only have one black dress pant so it's not like I wear a lot of black but I do like wearing black dress shoes with my navy and grey pants. Just feel like pairing some black Westchesters or Rutledge with a nice pair of slacks and a tie looks good. Am I missing something?

Depends on your perspective I suppose. The black shoe may be viewed as more formal, conservative, business oriented, narrowly focused, task specific. Today's environment is more open, relaxed, etc. Brown shoes offer "versatility" and are easier to "dress up" or "down" hence making them appropriate for (some) formal, business, business casual, casual settings.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
I have the 5th Ave and Players in black and that's enough "black versatility" for me . The rest are all browns/walnuts/burgundy/chili.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is place for black pants in a well rounded wardrobe. Not a necessity, but definitely permissible.

I am curious how you wear them. Do you wear them with black loafers?

For the record, I do own a pair of black dress pants, but I only wear them at night for going out, and only with black shoes.

jbcohen

Reaction score
I have an allen edmonds a few blocks away from my office, will get fitted for the specific model that I am interested in.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black shoes + Navy pants/suit = NO-NO (IMHO)

Color 8, dark brown, walnut, or any other shade of brown looks much better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads