• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 2 last is a beast that I haven't been able to figure out yet. Normally the 5 last fits me like a glove (park aves, strands, macneils) and some have said that the 2 fits similarly, but I found that hasn't been the case.

The Van Ness, on the executive last is extremely narrow throughout the shoe from opening to toe, and it seems a little shorter than the 5.

The Player's shoe on the other hand feels a good bit longer than the 5 and feels too loose in the instep and heel for me. I know part of it is because the Player's is a blucher and suede may be more flexible, but the differences between the 2 shouldn't be that great.

Really wish I could fit a chocolate players though :cloud:

Anyway, anyone out there with Steinbok pics (and also a description of fit compared to the 5) ?! Very tempting at the price right now for a casual shoe.

Not true, as you say. The 2 is way narrower than the 7. Not even close.

Edit: Was comparing to the 7, not the 5...

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the reply i do have a 10.5E strand which is on the 5 lasts and i heard that's pretty similar to 2 lasts. I usually wear 11D. i guess i'll need to go to the store and try them before i pull the trigger.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for all the reply i do have a 10.5E strand which is on the 5 lasts and i heard that's pretty similar to 2 lasts. I usually wear 11D. i guess i'll need to go to the store and try them before i pull the trigger.

Looking at this again, the MacNeil is on the 7. So I mistakenly compared that to the 2. But if you do try the Player shoe, please post with your experience!

bullethead

Reaction score
i picked up a pair of Bayfield's for $160 from amazon over the summer to use as beaters. so far, they have not disappointed. comfortable right out of the gate

Vigilant

Reaction score

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see the Bayfield has a rubber sole. Thoughts on the sole? Good for all weather?

Thinking about it, what's the purpose of a boot? For me, it's wearing in bad weather. Why would you wear leather soled boots? (I do have some)

Stylego

Reaction score
I have or had both. The Bayfield I returned because I wanted something dressier (this was before the Fifth Street). The Dalton I just purchased a few weeks back. It's a nice looking boot. I have narrow feet so went down a half size. Could still use a narrower heel. That said, I like it a lot. As mentioned, looks good with jeans. I wear them to work (business casual) no problem.

rostov

Reaction score
I see the Bayfield has a rubber sole. Thoughts on the sole? Good for all weather?
Thinking about it, what's the purpose of a boot? For me, it's wearing in bad weather. Why would you wear leather soled boots? (I do have some)

I find the AE lug sole on the Bayfield and Ashbury has a good grip in rain and intend to find out with snow, when we get some. I also spoke to the guys in the store and they told me that getting Daltons with rubber soles is possible (for a fee), just call and ask.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^so i guess i should size down on length and size wider on width?

The 2 last just sucks fit-wise, which sucks because AE makes a lot of good-looking shoes on the last. I also think the executive rubber dress sole is about the best looking rubber sole on a dress shoe that I've seen. I tried sizing up, and that didn't work. I guess going out in width is an option, but I found that the toe box was the problem area. I assume sizing up in width would cause the heel to be too big. I'd be interested in hearing if going down in length and up in width on the 2 last has actually worked for someone.
+1 on the AE's rubber soled dress shoes. For the most part, you can't even tell they are rubber. They are so sexy! My suggestion is to size down, and go wider. I did that and it's worked. For example I went from an 11D to a 10.5E. Try something like that

ElDave

Reaction score
I have the Lombard and, if I am simply standing, you would never know it's a rubber sole. It's very comfortable walking distances and I don't hesitate to wear it in less-than-stellar weather. It's not my "best" AE, but it's definitely my favorite all-around shoe.

Dr. D

Reaction score
Anyone have a pic (or have a link to one) with the walnut cordovan and the calf walnut side by side? I have the calf strands but I can't really justify the shells if the color is too close. I am thinking it might be better to get some Alden whiskey LWBs instead...

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have both the Bayfield and Shell Dalton boots. And waiting on arrival of the Yuma and Cascade which I see both as more of casual "beater" type boots. Even though one of the customer photo shows his Yuma boots with a 20 ga. AyA shotgun in B&W on the AE site.

The Dalton can definitely fit in well with business casual IMO and I am wearing it to work outside of the 3 months of lousy sledding they have here in Mn. Couldn't get the Dalton with rubber soles, I asked AE about it and they said only the shoes listed on the custom page had that option. I just picked them up from the cobbler last night after getting half soles (Vibram) and toe taps put on. The guys at the shop were very impressed with the Shell Dalton Wingtip boots to say the least. Next summer I will send them to Nick in NYC to have commando soles put on. The Bayfield is a great boot and the fit on me is snug but perfect, and is being discontinued. You might want to jump sooner than later if you want one. The sole is outstanding for inclement weather IMO.

ElDave

Reaction score

Anyone have a pic (or have a link to one) with the walnut cordovan and the calf walnut side by side? I have the calf strands but I can't really justify the shells if the color is too close. I am thinking it might be better to get some Alden whiskey LWBs instead...

I've seen them side-by-side and they are, to me, very different. To someone who is not into shoes, they will look basically the same though. They are similar, but the cordovan is a much deeper, rich finish.

In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure I personally care for the walnut cordovan though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads