• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have both the Bayfield and Shell Dalton boots. And waiting on arrival of the Yuma and Cascade which I see both as more of casual "beater" type boots. Even though one of the customer photo shows his Yuma boots with a 20 ga. AyA shotgun in B&W on the AE site.

The Dalton can definitely fit in well with business casual IMO and I am wearing it to work outside of the 3 months of lousy sledding they have here in Mn. Couldn't get the Dalton with rubber soles, I asked AE about it and they said only the shoes listed on the custom page had that option. I just picked them up from the cobbler last night after getting half soles (Vibram) and toe taps put on. The guys at the shop were very impressed with the Shell Dalton Wingtip boots to say the least. Next summer I will send them to Nick in NYC to have commando soles put on. The Bayfield is a great boot and the fit on me is snug but perfect, and is being discontinued. You might want to jump sooner than later if you want one. The sole is outstanding for inclement weather IMO.

Damn, when and why is it being discontinued? Too many fit issues with people thinking it's too small? I wanted to try them on in store but don't get back to Dallas until mid January.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Just wondered.

I asked because it would be dependent on what type of orthotic you could fit into your shoe. Most full orthotics, especially prescription ones, won't work. Some thin styles, like Superfeet Black, might depending on your foot. Some people use 3/4 orthotics. Its kind of a crap shoot.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, when and why is it being discontinued? Too many fit issues with people thinking it's too small? I wanted to try them on in store but don't get back to Dallas until mid January.

It was a limited edition boot that is sold out in most sizes now.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't read through this thread, but that was exactly my experience. I went into an AE store and tried on a shoe in the same last as the Bayfield, and both 8.5E and 9E could have worked depending on socks. I mail ordered a 9D eventually, and it was way too tight. very strange.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't read through this thread, but that was exactly my experience. I went into an AE store and tried on a shoe in the same last as the Bayfield, and both 8.5E and 9E could have worked depending on socks. I mail ordered a 9D eventually, and it was way too tight. very strange.

I am really starting to wonder about the operations of this company. It seems like they are growing so fast and their operations and quality control can't keep up. Maybe it's just us fans and critics here on SF that makes you hear the stories whenever something weird or negative comes up. But I've had a few headscratchers with these guys lately, too.

The latest was stopping into a store a few days ago to buy shoe care supplies. As I was walking out, I glanced at the receipt and noticed that they had not given me the sale discounts. So long story short, took them about 20 minutes to sort out, while I felt like a jerk for holding up other customers. It turns out that their IT system was programmed to have the sale end on Dec 25, when in fact it is still going on. Why they can't manage something this simple and with this kind of visibility is beyond me.

Sorry for the vent...

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am really starting to wonder about the operations of this company. It seems like they are growing so fast and their operations and quality control can't keep up. Maybe it's just us fans and critics here on SF that makes you hear the stories whenever something weird or negative comes up. But I've had a few headscratchers with these guys lately, too.
The latest was stopping into a store a few days ago to buy shoe care supplies. As I was walking out, I glanced at the receipt and noticed that they had not given me the sale discounts. So long story short, took them about 20 minutes to sort out, while I felt like a jerk for holding up other customers. It turns out that their IT system was programmed to have the sale end on Dec 25, when in fact it is still going on. Why they can't manage something this simple and with this kind of visibility is beyond me.
Sorry for the vent...

Same exact thing happened to me on Monday. I just let it go though since I was only buying 2 shoe shine clothes so I would have saved a whopping .60 cents had I brought the issue up. Had I not been in a hurry though I certainly would have brought it up though because their shelf with all the supplies clearly had a sign on it with the discount percentage off listed.

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Lombard and, if I am simply standing, you would never know it's a rubber sole. It's very comfortable walking distances and I don't hesitate to wear it in less-than-stellar weather. It's not my "best" AE, but it's definitely my favorite all-around shoe.

Have you seen the Van Ness? They are a little clunkier but are also really nice for a rubber soled dress shoe. The Van Ness and Lombard are the best two of the executive collection.

Jaggs

Reaction score
I returned my brown Fifth Avenue and tan Montecito today. The Fifth Ave toe cap is just too short/small and I think I need to drop a whole size in the Montecito. I am starting to get a little pissy with my sizing and the inventory in the stores. I can be between a 13 A down to a 12 D and without many narrow 13s or 12.5s in store (Charlotte/Charleston), I'm all over the ******* place. From now on, if I like a style, I think I'm going to order three different sizes from Zappo's and when I figure sizing out, send them all back and wait for a sale or eBay.

Or I just need to move on to C&J...

BigCheese

Reaction score
I got my Fifth Aves today from the 2 for $300 sale and they are SUPER stiff, almost to the point of not being able to bend when trying to bend the shoe. My strands we not even close to that stiff. Do I just need to break them in?

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Bayfield is a great boot and the fit on me is snug but perfect, and is being discontinued. You might want to jump sooner than later if you want one. The sole is outstanding for inclement weather IMO.

Is this true? I wonder if they will run a clearance sale on them.

bucksfan

Reaction score
I got my Fifth Aves today from the 2 for $300 sale and they are SUPER stiff, almost to the point of not being able to bend when trying to bend the shoe. My strands we not even close to that stiff. Do I just need to break them in?

What color are the 5th aves? In my experience, the lighter colors are not as stiff and the darker colors are more stiff. Either way, the best thing I have come up with is to start with a few applications of AE's leather lotion or some similar cream. It usually softens the leather right up. And no, don't just wear them or they will crease in a big way and fast.

Dr. D

Reaction score

I've seen them side-by-side and they are, to me, very different. To someone who is not into shoes, they will look basically the same though. They are similar, but the cordovan is a much deeper, rich finish.
In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure I personally care for the walnut cordovan though.

Thanks for the report- it sounds like they would look too similar in the same style. If I had walnut McNeils then that might be a different story...

Thanks for the link- are those Bayfields walnut calf? If so the walnut shell Daltons look very light in comparison to walnut calf,

BigCheese

Reaction score
What color are the 5th aves? In my experience, the lighter colors are not as stiff and the darker colors are more stiff. Either way, the best thing I have come up with is to start with a few applications of AE's leather lotion or some similar cream. It usually softens the leather right up. And no, don't just wear them or they will crease in a big way and fast.

They are Black, which probably explains the stiffness. I will lotion them up tonight and probably use the premium polish tonight too. See how that helps me out.

Bigcheese

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are Black, which probably explains the stiffness. I will lotion them up tonight and probably use the premium polish tonight too. See how that helps me out. 

Bigcheese

I would walk around your house (indoors) for a few days with the shoes and while your not wearing them put shoe trees in. If this does not help return them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads