• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
And here we go again... This is my first experience with AE as this is the first of their shoes that I've bought. As I mentioned in a follow up to the above post, the store agreed to replace the shoe because of the color issues and also re-fitted me into a new size. A week later (today) I received the replacement pair. Please tell me what you guys think. I don't think a brand new pair of $350 shoes should come with these scuffs. The left shoe was in the dust bag and the right shoe was not. I learned by speaking to someone at the store today that they do this when a customer tries on a pair of shoes. This is how they know the box has been opened. My pair did not come from the warehouse I was told so I think it came from another retail location. It's unclear to me if the scuffs were there when they were shipped or from sliding around not in the dust bag during shipping that these scuffs developed.

The clerk I spoke to at the store said I could try some conditioner/cleaner, clear polish or walnut polish. I have all of those so I will give it a shot tonight. I really don't feel like sending these back because she said in my size there are only two at stores that she could see in the system. That means me bringing these back and waiting for those to ship and possibly running into the same issue. 7.5 E seems to be an odd size so it's not like there's tons of these laying around. She said the factory shows some uppers available meaning they'd finish assembly and ship them out so I'd be guaranteed new shoes but that could take some time.

Based on these pictures, do you think anything will help? I know that I'll end up scuffing them myself at some point but I'd rather start with a pristine shoe. If these were seconds I'd be satisfied but I'd also have paid a lot less money.

echoing the above sentiments--you should try some conditioner first, then some cream and wax polish if the scuffs persist. they likely won't. you'll likely have to get used to seeing similar scuffs that you incur (legs of a rolling chair, gas/brake/clutch pedals), and they are super easy to get rid of.

if you aren't satisfied after your attempts, you could even consider returning or exchanging the shoes yet again (granted you don't ruin them--which would anyway admittedly be difficult to do).

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
Could I get some suggestions from anyone?

I'm a college student (on a strict budget) in need of interview dress shoes. After trying on the Park Avenue in several widths and size, I have determined the 5 last isn't for me. I have a wide feet (Measured to be between E and EE) and a high instep. Trying to stay within the AE brand, but on a different last, I then decided on the Vernon:

However, I later realized the Vernon is a "Plain-toe", rather than a "Cap-toe". I've read numerous forum posts and many people believe a "Cap-toe" is more traditional in business.

What are your thoughts on this? Would I be better off getting a "Cap-toe" for my purpose?

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two different toe styles, but I want to buy the right shoes. I'm having a really hard time finding other shoes that would suit my high instep and needs that is within $400.
these would be great as interview shoes. the practical difference between these and the park avenues is minimal, and, to me, the vernons aren't so far out there as to draw unnecessary attention. your feet will thank you after a long day of walking standing, if something like that is in store for you!

AdamAdam

Reaction score

echoing the above sentiments--you should try some conditioner first, then some cream and wax polish if the scuffs persist. they likely won't. you'll likely have to get used to seeing similar scuffs that you incur (legs of a rolling chair, gas/brake/clutch pedals), and they are super easy to get rid of.

if you aren't satisfied after your attempts, you could even consider returning or exchanging the shoes yet again (granted you don't ruin them--which would anyway admittedly be difficult to do).

Thanks. The conditioner worked great and I'm wearing them this morning.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Also, remember to never use wax polish on areas of the shoe that crease. Only use on the toe portion and heel, unless you plan on stripping the wax off every couple of weeks. See the shoe polishing thread for more info, that thread changed my whole mindset about shoe care.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walnut Hale today

Hi. New to the forum. I'm looking for a versatile boot that can withstand west coast weather (i.e. rain). I will mostly wear them with jeans, but it would be a plus if I can wear it with dress pants and even a suit. I've been looking at the Long Branch, Dalton, or even the Cordovan. I like the look of the Dalton more than the Long Branch, but the Long Branch is probably more rugged (less likelihood of scuffing the heals)? I hesitate to say more durable. The Dalton has the rubber sole or tap sole option (I'm not sure which is best). The Cordovan doesn't have any rubber sole options but if I baby it more it should last longer? Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Can anyone comment on Patriot sizing?
- in a 5 last i usually wear 9.5E, Daltons I wear a 10D
I'm a 10D on the 1 last including shell Daltons. But I'm also a 10D on the 5 last with the exception of the rough collection shoes. The shell Patriot in 10D fits me perfectly. I have a low volume foot, not sure if that helps or not.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those with the V-tread tap sole: Is the rubber portion simply glued and/or stitched on top of a full leather sole, or is there a portion of the leather sole that is cut out so that the rubber portion sits flush with the leather portion? Or is the rubber portion entirely rubber (no leather above it at all)?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some fun summer shoes that I picked up from the Jeffersonville AE outlet (and their unadvertised 20% off sale) on the way back from visiting relatives in OH last week. First shoe for me on the new 3 last.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
For those with the V-tread tap sole: Is the rubber portion simply glued and/or stitched on top of a full leather sole, or is there a portion of the leather sole that is cut out so that the rubber portion sits flush with the leather portion? Or is the rubber portion entirely rubber (no leather above it at all)?

The rubber is stitched on. A portion of the leather sole, from what I can tell, is cut out so that the rubber sits flush. So yes, from what I can tell, there is a leather sole above the rubber.

htjouster

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on Patriot sizing?
- in a 5 last i usually wear 9.5E, Daltons I wear a 10D

I am a 9D in both the Patriot (calf) and 5 last. I will say that I have a relatively low-volume foot and the Patriot is tight (although not uncomfortable) over my midfoot. I could see someone with a higher arch needing to make a size adjustment.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

I am a 9D in both the Patriot (calf) and 5 last.  I will say that I have a relatively low-volume foot and the Patriot is tight (although not uncomfortable) over my midfoot.  I could see someone with a higher arch needing to make a size adjustment.

I agree. I am a true 9D in Park Avenue, and have a relatively low instep, however, I do feel the squeeze on my cordovan Patriots. One pair has been getting a bit looser with each wear but I still have aches with one of the pairs when my socks are (slightly) too thick.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Anyone know a place in downtown Toronto I can pick up some kiwi tan polish to shine my walnut strands? Tried Novelty Shoe but to no avail =(

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have further commentary on the Butyl soles? Can you get them in single soles (e.g. could I recraft a pair of shoes with butyl without having to go with the double soles that are used on the boots)?

When I ordered my Daltons, I didn't realize there was even anything different--just thought they had colored the sole to match the rest of the boot...but then I realized that even when the sole scuffs on things, it doesn't reveal layers of normal looking leather and I looked it up and realized it was the butyl leather sole. It didn't say what that meant but over the past winter, I have noticed that they do seem to do very well with wet streets. I don't end up with wet socks after walking around in the rain.

Figured this might be mostly because of the double sole taking longer to soak through but I found this quote from AE customer service:
The Dalton features our Butyl Double Leather Sole, which is Butyl soaked, resulting in a high resiliency to water. Butyl is actually a chemical in which some rubbers are derived; butyl rubber is known for its leak-proof qualities.

So that explains it. Are there any downsides to this? Seems like the best of both worlds--you get a true leather sole, but you get a large amount of the water resistance of a rubber sole. Its not like it is an ugly color--I think it would actually do great on the bottom of some black park avenues (assuming it is available in a single leather sole).

kentyman

Reaction score
Anyone have further commentary on the Butyl soles? Can you get them in single soles (e.g. could I recraft a pair of shoes with butyl without having to go with the double soles that are used on the boots)?

When I ordered my Daltons, I didn't realize there was even anything different--just thought they had colored the sole to match the rest of the boot...but then I realized that even when the sole scuffs on things, it doesn't reveal layers of normal looking leather and I looked it up and realized it was the butyl leather sole. It didn't say what that meant but over the past winter, I have noticed that they do seem to do very well with wet streets. I don't end up with wet socks after walking around in the rain.

Figured this might be mostly because of the double sole taking longer to soak through but I found this quote from AE customer service:
So that explains it. Are there any downsides to this? Seems like the best of both worlds--you get a true leather sole, but you get a large amount of the water resistance of a rubber sole. Its not like it is an ugly color--I think it would actually do great on the bottom of some black park avenues (assuming it is available in a single leather sole).

Though the AE website says others, I believe the Neumok has single butyl soles. See this very informative post from MoneyWellSpent for more information.

I wouldn't want to make any dogmatic guarantees that they are all single sole, but they sure look like single soles to me. If it is a double sole, it is a THIN double sole. [...]

Oak is the traditional tanning agent for leather soles due to it's resilient nature, hard yet flexible characteristics that make it good for shoe soles. It has been in use for centuries. The butyl soles are simply based on the idea that oil and water don't mix
smile.gif
so if you soak the leather in the oil, it will be more resistant. When you feel a butyl sole, it actually feels slightly greasy (though it isn't like it will leave a residue on anything). Double oak soles are very hardy, they just wear a bit faster when wet. Once they dry out, they are back to their usual hardiness. None of these are waterproof. [...]

gsgleason

Reaction score

Where are the pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads