• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Thanks Tampa- btw had a great week on Indian Beach once...
smile.gif

Come on back! The Spring Breakers just left. You'll have the beach to yourself for a month or so
mwink[1].gif

AT83

Reaction score
Considering that even the company CEO is now reading StyleForum to hear about and get feedback on AE shoes, I for one am curious about the recrafting service. If anyone has sent their shoes in for this, maybe post up with pictures of the before and after, talk about the overall experience and time to get this done, results? Suggestions? It sounds like a good idea, to spend 20-25% of the cost of the shoes to get an almost as good-as-new shoe that you know you like, and maybe even better because it's already broken in?
I had my Black Calf Warrens sent in for recrafting. After 4-6 days per week of wear Spring-Summer-Fall since 2007 the right sole had started separating at the toe and was a tripping hazard.
Before

After

When they came back they looked great but the left one really pinched my toe. I contacted AE and ended up sending them back. They said that the left one looked crooked and offered to replace it with a comparable shoe of my choice. Customer Service!! I ended up getting the McAllister in black as I didn't like any of the current rubber sole options. This was also one of the reasons that I did recrafting in the first place. I won't be able to wear the McAllisters as my work shoe but I now have my first pair of wingtips. What other company would give you a brand new product when they fail to repair your old one?? (I should ask my Ford Dealer if they offer this) I was just happy to not be out the money and a pair of shoes. I've purchased 2 pairs of AE's since then, Bayfield and no logo Center Fielder. It was not exactly the experience I thought I was getting, but I remain a happy AE customer.

Update to my Bayfield post: I ended up getting Superfeet Delux 3/4 insoles. This seems to eliminate the little bit of heel slip, provide arch support (didn't feel like there was much) and to make up for my slightly low volume foot. Pretty happy so far, just working on breaking in the left toe. I installed stronger springs in my Woodlore Epic Shoe Trees to try to help stretch that area when my feet aren't in them.

calidist

Reaction score
Has anyone recrafted with AE with a different sole than the original? I'd love for my Fifth Aves to be on a double leather sole than single...

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Has anyone recrafted with AE with a different sole than the original? I'd love for my Fifth Aves to be on a double leather sole than single...

Yes. Lately I've been getting mine re-soled with the v-tread tap sole. I typically hand-write the sole I want at the bottom of the order form I download from the website.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

Has anyone recrafted with AE with a different sole than the original?  I'd love for my Fifth Aves to be on a double leather sole than single...

I had my bayfield boots recrafted with a butyl leather sole rather than the mini lugs. I emailed the recrafting dept before I sent them in and they did it for no additional charge.

Last edited:

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Just received my first pair of AE shoes today: walnut calf McAllisters. I won't post a bunch of pictures because you've all seen them a million times. They are "firsts" shipped right from the factory. I have a few questions that maybe you all with more experience can comment on.

1) Have a look at the distinct color variation on the left shoe. There is a noticeable line where the color is a few shades different. Can I fix that with a little polish or is that there forever? Does that make these returnable for some of you? In person it is more noticeable in my opinion than in this picture.

2) When I was measured in the store my right foot came out 8D and my left 8.5D. My left has always been a little larger. We tried the 8.5 and both agreed that it was just big and was slipping too much. He felt that 8D would be perfect and I've been reading that with this last it's normal to go down a half size (in my case 8.5 to 8). There were no 8D in the store at all to try (even in a different style with same last) so they were ordered and shipped. While I was waiting for these to arrive I popped into another AE store and tried on some other styles with the same last (Park Ave). Just for kicks I tried a 7.5D and while the right was perfect, the left was too snug for my liking but this particular clerk thought 7.5 should be my size and that the left would stretch. I'm having the opposite problem with these in 8D; the left is perfect and the right feels ever slightly too big with a tiny bit of slip. So, they always say go up to meet your larger foot. Either way, one is going to fit perfectly well and the other will have some issue. I'd rather have the right be ever so slightly large than the left be too tight. Ultimately my question is, what do others do and if I went with 7.5, should I expect the left one to stretch? I'm afraid to wear them for a few months only to learn that they are not stretching and be stuck with them.

3) I notice some gaping on both shoes near the ankle area. Is this normal? Will it get worse? It doesn't seem to effect the comfort as best I can tell from walking around the carpet in my bedroom for ten minutes.

Thanks!

And here we go again... This is my first experience with AE as this is the first of their shoes that I've bought. As I mentioned in a follow up to the above post, the store agreed to replace the shoe because of the color issues and also re-fitted me into a new size. A week later (today) I received the replacement pair. Please tell me what you guys think. I don't think a brand new pair of $350 shoes should come with these scuffs. The left shoe was in the dust bag and the right shoe was not. I learned by speaking to someone at the store today that they do this when a customer tries on a pair of shoes. This is how they know the box has been opened. My pair did not come from the warehouse I was told so I think it came from another retail location. It's unclear to me if the scuffs were there when they were shipped or from sliding around not in the dust bag during shipping that these scuffs developed.

The clerk I spoke to at the store said I could try some conditioner/cleaner, clear polish or walnut polish. I have all of those so I will give it a shot tonight. I really don't feel like sending these back because she said in my size there are only two at stores that she could see in the system. That means me bringing these back and waiting for those to ship and possibly running into the same issue. 7.5 E seems to be an odd size so it's not like there's tons of these laying around. She said the factory shows some uppers available meaning they'd finish assembly and ship them out so I'd be guaranteed new shoes but that could take some time.

Based on these pictures, do you think anything will help? I know that I'll end up scuffing them myself at some point but I'd rather start with a pristine shoe. If these were seconds I'd be satisfied but I'd also have paid a lot less money.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Some might disagree, but I think you shouldn't sweat over those scuffs, Adam. It's like sending a suit back because the sleeve was wrinkled in the box. Give them a good shine. The scuffs will probably disappear or fade behind the shine.

The lightest shoes that I regularly wear are a chestnut color. They scuff, I shine them, they scuff, I shine them... and guess what, they look better with age.

Goosey

Reaction score
Hi. New to the forum. I'm looking for a versatile boot that can withstand west coast weather (i.e. rain). I will mostly wear them with jeans, but it would be a plus if I can wear it with dress pants and even a suit. I've been looking at the Long Branch, Dalton, or even the Cordovan. I like the look of the Dalton more than the Long Branch, but the Long Branch is probably more rugged (less likelihood of scuffing the heals)? I hesitate to say more durable. The Dalton has the rubber sole or tap sole option (I'm not sure which is best). The Cordovan doesn't have any rubber sole options but if I baby it more it should last longer? Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

wohwoh

Reaction score
Could I get some suggestions from anyone?

I'm a college student (on a strict budget) in need of interview dress shoes. After trying on the Park Avenue in several widths and size, I have determined the 5 last isn't for me. I have a wide feet (Measured to be between E and EE) and a high instep. Trying to stay within the AE brand, but on a different last, I then decided on the Vernon:

However, I later realized the Vernon is a "Plain-toe", rather than a "Cap-toe". I've read numerous forum posts and many people believe a "Cap-toe" is more traditional in business.

What are your thoughts on this? Would I be better off getting a "Cap-toe" for my purpose?

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two different toe styles, but I want to buy the right shoes. I'm having a really hard time finding other shoes that would suit my high instep and needs that is within $400.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I agree with Makoto. Some Reno and a little cream and those scuffs won't be noticeable.

Thanks. I took some AE conditioner/cleaner to them and it looks like the scratches weren't that deep and buffed right out. Now if only I could get my two feet to be the same size...

Septimus

Reaction score
Could I get some suggestions from anyone?

I'm a college student (on a strict budget) in need of interview dress shoes. After trying on the Park Avenue in several widths and size, I have determined the 5 last isn't for me. I have a wide feet (Measured to be between E and EE) and a high instep. Trying to stay within the AE brand, but on a different last, I then decided on the Vernon:

However, I later realized the Vernon is a "Plain-toe", rather than a "Cap-toe". I've read numerous forum posts and many people believe a "Cap-toe" is more traditional in business.

What are your thoughts on this? Would I be better off getting a "Cap-toe" for my purpose?

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two different toe styles, but I want to buy the right shoes. I'm having a really hard time finding other shoes that would suit my high instep and needs that is within $400.
A "cap toe" has a separate pice of leather that "caps" the toe. There is a line of stitching that runs across it, connecting the cap to the rest of the shoe. A "plain toe" has a front that is all one piece of leather. On the Vernon, there are those lines of holes (called "brogueing" that runs across the front of the shoe, making a kind of "virtual cap," which is why it looks kind of like a cap toe.

As for your question, the Vernons are a bit less traditional than a true cap toe. But in my opinion, if the Vernon fits you better, it's a pretty reasonable substitute for all but the most conservative workplaces, albeit a bit flashier. Most people won't notice, just like you didn't.

itsmejson

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on Patriot sizing?
- in a 5 last i usually wear 9.5E, Daltons I wear a 10D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads