• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voice of Reason

Reaction score
Regarding our ebay friend, I have dealt with him twice and feel both times I get an incredible value and first quality.

He does deal in volume. I feel he tries to have full disclosure and label flaws accordingly, but mishaps are unavoidable with that many transactions.

Now, when you buy from him, your shoes basically have no warranty? Like, if my Liverpools starting falling apart in three months I am on my own, correct?

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the 2017 spring spoilers I know a lot of us were underwhelmed. I've seen posts about bringing back previous models, tweaking current models, or introducing something new like a whole-cut.

We know that AE looks at the comments from time to time so what do we actually want to see come out in the next catalog that would be exciting to us?

Sleek black PTB
lookaround.gif

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Nice work! Congratulations! I was hoping that you were maybe 5'2" or something but I checked an online calculator and it turns out we're probably the same height. WTF. And according to this formula, I'm still borderline overweight. I guess they want us to all run around looking like we haven't eaten in weeks. I'd like to lose maybe yet another 5lbs. (Down 30lbs+ already. Yay, me!) This was a number I had in my head before looking at the calculator. However, I believe that it's pretty much based entirely on my own vanity. I still also want to enjoy my life, so I am deciding right now not to be a slave to some formula... or at least not that particular formula. Please don't interpret any of the above as negative commentary directed towards you. It's more my skepticism regarding these standards put forth by experts and their validity. Your efforts are certainly commendable and then some. In the end, it's what makes you feel good so more power to you! And regarding your original question about the Cornwallis. I believe you have already been given good advice. It all depends on the shape of your foot and, with the 1943 last in my opinion, it depends on your toes. When I've tried on the 1943 lasted shoes, I must increase a half size from my 65 last size to prevent my toes being pinched by the chiseled shape of the last. This is due to the fact that, although my feet might technically be slightly narrow, my toes are arranged in such a way that my feet, when viewed from above, look something like a duck's. It's difficult to explain without an illustration, but if you were to draw an imaginary line perpendicular to the center line of my foot, place it up against my big toe, and then measure the angle between that line and my little toe, the angle would be rather slight probably in comparison to the "average" foot. But going up a half size leaves me with some extra volume in the toe box. For this reason, I have avoided the 1943 last even though the Cornwallis, in particular, is a very attractive shoe. It also disappoints me that so many of AEs new styles are based on this last. Yes, this was a ridiculously long answer which basically translates to "you've got to try it on to know for sure." Hope the 1943 works out better for you than it does for me!

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I don't own it but want to. I'd say it looks pretty darned versatile, especially in the spring and summer months when it would go great with some fun chino colors. Then also all year 'round with dark denim and darker colored chinos and five pocket cords. I say if they have one in your size... go for it! Then again, what other kind of advice would you expect here? P.S. I'm just going to use a lot of exclamation points for the rest of the day.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, disappointing AE day.

Received my dark chili MacNeils- going back. Shoddy and uneven burnishing job, not to mention a black splotch on the right shoe. Also, it's a pretty shoe, but with 5 pairs of shortwings in various colors, I feel like it's too redundant in my collection

Received my grain MacNeils- going back. The inserts in both shoes weren't glued in properly, causing that poron stuff to seep out the sides of the footbed (actually, considering the foot beds don't even have "MacNeil" printed on them, they may just be the wrong ones entirely). Also, the heel counter on the left shoe is so offset, you can see it from the side of the shoe. I did order another pair though, as this fills some holes in my collection- first grain shoe, first longwing, and a brown shoe on Dainite (that's not suede).

Finally, discovered today on my third wearing of my Grayson's that the finish is peeling off on the left shoe, just above the tassel. I'm going to take it in to the store tomorrow when I return the MacNeils to see if anything can be done. It was an eBay buy, but they were new, and flaking after 3 wears is kind of ridiculous. Hopefully it can get worked out.

So yeah. Today sucked from a shoe standpoint.

DaveGee

Reaction score
@DaveGee Great job, man. How did you do it? (If you don't mind me asking)

Well lets see ... I can get wordy so lets sum this up...

1 - Sept 2015 I officially moved from buying 'extra baggy large' cloths to XL cloths
2 - Thanksgiving 2015 a _very_ unflattering (but true) photos was posted by my favorite cousin
3 - Dec 2015 My 49th Birthday and I was always SO tired.

I've battled some serious health issues stage 4b cancer & a heart attack but getting that big was only making matters worse.
My dad died at 57 and I was NOT going to do the same!

So I said enough is enough... I had already kicked two of the most addictive (legal) substances on the planet (nicotine and caffeine) so I said thats it, no more bad habits (bad eating and snacking) so I stopped.

I started substitution... No chips or candy and I snacked on pickles (yea not good but it worked for me) and you can only eat so many of these before you can't do it anymore. Then sometime in January I had lost nearly 15 or so pounds and I had SO much more energy. In February my wife got me a Fitbit and I started walking nothing crazy and I never broke a sweat but I did walk a lot. By Aug I was @ my 145 target weight and the only clothes that fit anymore were sweatpants and 3 pairs of size 33 Levi's 511s that were now swimming on me (lol I was just as amazed).

No crazy workout not even breaking a sweat ...
No snacking
Yes eating responsible meals (NO starches and NO snacking)
Yes as many extra servings of veggies as you like to fill the belly provided the aren't slathered with butter or cheese.
Yes lots of willpower (a lot of that) but after everything I've already been thu willpower is something I have LOADS of.

So yea not easy but its inside anyone who wants to _really_ make it happen.

Just had my 50th birthday and while my closet is 99% empty I'm working on it and I gotta tell you I don't think I'll every look back.

Last edited:

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welp, disappointing AE day.

Received my dark chili MacNeils- going back. Shoddy and uneven burnishing job, not to mention a black splotch on the right shoe. Also, it's a pretty shoe, but with 5 pairs of shortwings in various colors, I feel like it's too redundant in my collection

Received my grain MacNeils- going back. The inserts in both shoes weren't glued in properly, causing that poron stuff to seep out the sides of the footbed (actually, considering the foot beds don't even have "MacNeil" printed on them, they may just be the wrong ones entirely). Also, the heel counter on the left shoe is so offset, you can see it from the side of the shoe. I did order another pair though, as this fills some holes in my collection- first grain shoe, first longwing, and a brown shoe on Dainite (that's not suede).

Finally, discovered today on my third wearing of my Grayson's that the finish is peeling off on the left shoe, just above the tassel. I'm going to take it in to the store tomorrow when I return the MacNeils to see if anything can be done. It was an eBay buy, but they were new, and flaking after 3 wears is kind of ridiculous. Hopefully it can get worked out.

So yeah. Today sucked from a shoe standpoint.

That spray on finish is crap. I've had to return a few because of it being splotchy etc... Not related to AE but close to their price now... just received 2 pairs CJ pembrokes and both were flawless... got them to try on but damn now I want to keep the ones that fit. Small sample size I know but was impressed.

shades9323

Reaction score

Quote: I don't own it but want to. I'd say it looks pretty darned versatile, especially in the spring and summer months when it would go great with some fun chino colors. Then also all year 'round with dark denim and darker colored chinos and five pocket cords. I say if they have one in your size... go for it! Then again, what other kind of advice would you expect here? P.S. I'm just going to use a lot of exclamation points for the rest of the day.
What about in a casual IT setting? I usually wear grey, blue, and light brown pants.

Shoes4play

Reaction score
Well lets see ... I can get wordy so lets sum this up...

1 - Sept 2015 I officially moved from buying 'extra baggy large' cloths to XL cloths
2 - Thanksgiving 2015 a _very_ unflattering (but true) photos was posted by my favorite cousin
3 - Dec 2015 My 49th Birthday and I was always SO tired.

I've battled some serious health issues stage 4b cancer & a heart attack but getting that big was only making matters worse.
My dad died at 57 and I was NOT going to do the same!

So I said enough is enough... I had already kicked two of the most addictive (legal) substances on the planet (nicotine and caffeine) so I said thats it, no more bad habits (bad eating and snacking) so I stopped.

I started substitution... No chips or candy and I snacked on pickles (yea not good but it worked for me) and you can only eat so many of these before you can't do it anymore. Then sometime in January I had lost nearly 15 or so pounds and I had SO much more energy. In February my wife got me a Fitbit and I started walking nothing crazy and I never broke a sweat but I did walk a lot. By Aug I was @ my 145 target weight and the only clothes that fit anymore were sweatpants and 3 pairs of size 33 Levi's 511s that were now swimming on me (lol I was just as amazed).

No crazy workout not even breaking a sweat ...
No snacking
Yes eating responsible meals (NO starches and NO snacking)
Yes as many extra servings of veggies as you like to fill the belly provided the aren't slathered with butter or cheese.
Yes lots of willpower (a lot of that) but after everything I've already been thu willpower is something I have LOADS of.

So yea not easy but its inside anyone who wants to _really_ make it happen.

Just had my 50th birthday and while my closet is 99% empty I'm working on it and I gotta tell you I don't think I'll every look back.

Congrats my brother.

Many people talk about making changes (myself included), but you actually made it happen and are a healthier person for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads