• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Yea! My last 2022 AE purchase finally shipped!

B724712E-A899-4481-B394-54DCA9688AC5.jpeg

During this year’s Trunk Show, I only ordered one pair…Navy Strands, which came out spectacular! They happen to be one of the nicest made pair of AE shoes that I own. During that time, you may recall that AE had their standard pairs of shell on sale. One could also get additional discounts through Raise. Plus, once a purchase was made, AE gave purchase rewards. So…I also ordered a pair of Brown Shell Daltons once my Trunk Show order posted. Then after the Daltons posted, I ordered a pair of Chili Shell Strands. I will have all of my orders once the Strands arrive 😁

I don’t know what purchases I’ll make in 2023. I have a sense that it’ll be very limited to special items. If they offered the Hamilton in shell in 2023, that might get me…and maybe one or two other makeups, but that’s about it. My total collection is about 50 pair and I’ve started to unload some items that I just don’t wear. I’ve also been eyeing a pair from the other A and I mentioned to Wyatt that if GS offers the Ottawa in shell, I’d buy it (and now it sounds as though their next shell offering will include the Ottawa).

This is likely my final post of 2022, so Happy New Year my forum friends! See you all on the 2023 thread once it is up and running. Question…will it be the 2023 or the 2O23 thread? ;)

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to goof on the Park City with Karina - we talked about how they resembled women's boots, but I actually kind of liked the burgundy cxl option. I made a promise to myself that if they ever showed up on amazon stupidly stupidly low priced and only the burgundy, i'd do it. Of course that happened (~$115 or so).

On the positive side, they basically "fix" what I didn't like about the Normandy & Caen I already own - they have much more padding and fit tighter with more footbed support. The gloxi is much better than it looks in terms of performance. The no speedhooks is annoying but the lacing is pretty quick with the yellow normandy laces.

On the negative side the cxl is kind of strange - as it flexes it exhibits odd mircrocreases that almost looks like cracking / crazing. The soles on are bright white contrasting with the upper and as a whole these just don't "feel" like a $475 msrp product. Not sure how to best explain it - you know how I felt about the Lombard and you sort of got what I was saying - these are kind of like that - good, but not great.

Think you explained it perfectly. Thanks as always.

I too initially clowned the look, though I've been drawn to them more based upon in-the-wild pics and a chase for comfort. Think they will get classified as "deep discount" or even ebay NW option - a spot where the Lombard still lives. That or I may just have my Normandy MTO redone with that sole since the old squishy lug is terrible.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy New Year's Eve forum pals. Vintage Hanovers for the last day of the year. Note the uncommon 6 eyelets.

IMG_2483 2.jpg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To end the year on a more positive note, I'm actually digging the Loden HM sneakers. Much better looking than the stock pics. More of a converse with eyelets than a boot with rubber sole. Finishing is great and comfort is there (for now). Went with brannock and there is still some wiggle room, possibly due to the suede. Pleasantly surprised.

I hope all you fellow weasels have a nice end to 2O22... and are ready for a prosperous 2023! If you are celebrating, be careful out there tonight.

"Cheers to good health, full shoe rotations, and being on the winning side of the AE trunk show lottery!"

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks JFWR—

I can’t wear a sport coat. The only jacket permitted is an embroidered fleece…

They don't....let you wear a sport coat at a police station?

That's unfortunate. It would elevate your look a lot. But the belt is still fine.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what I am going to wear to dinner this evening, but I’ve got the old rat stompers on for a trip to Target for now. Purple cord shirt with black/grey jeans.

View attachment 1873356 View attachment 1873357

R.5617e576c5bf377f41323bb57a915c8f

I just gotta ask you, Major Dash: What do you do when the elevator tries to take you down?

Great day to wear those boots, as NYE is all about the party.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To end the year on a more positive note, I'm actually digging the Loden HM sneakers. Much better looking than the stock pics. More of a converse with eyelets than a boot with rubber sole. Finishing is great and comfort is there (for now). Went with brannock and there is still some wiggle room, possibly due to the suede. Pleasantly surprised.

I hope all you fellow weasels have a nice end to 2O22... and are ready for a prosperous 2023! If you are celebrating, be careful out there tonight.

"Cheers to good health, full shoe rotations, and being on the winning side of the AE trunk show lottery!"

Glad you found something good from AE given your recent experiences. I was giving the loden Higgins a hard look earlier this year. The price is very good. The only reason I held off is because I heard from Bootlosophy (on Youtube) that the sole is very soft and squishy. At this point in my life, I prefer soles that are a little harder, or at least like Dainite. The sole on the Wilbert and Badlands is fine, but just not my favorite.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am honestly disappointed that they didn’t make those in EEE. I saw them in person at the Shoebank, and they’re honestly, like you said, basically a hi-top sneaker with some quality materials.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am honestly disappointed that they didn’t make those in EEE. I saw them in person at the Shoebank, and they’re honestly, like you said, basically a hi-top sneaker with some quality materials.
He posted about them, and I went for a look…same problem for me

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Merry Christmas” (finally celebrating with my folks after the flu). Hoping you are all safe, healthy, and well. And—in the tradition of my Papa Sonny, I’ve put a dollar in the mailbox to welcome and invite prosperity in 2023. Happy New Year.
59910B74-9999-465A-956D-D19DD1E554EB.jpeg
608BB48E-98BB-4EF8-B545-0E6EAAED8481.jpeg
7047961F-CF53-405F-B948-2F4523C1179C.jpeg
27FBB12D-2045-47B0-ADBA-83A253CAC14A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads