• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may be alone on this but I'm not a fan of the grey at all. I cannot picture pairing them with anything and they just look to me like a worn out shoe. Love navy though, already have the strands so I'm not sure I need more. The rudolph is clever but I think it is a shoe I'd have to explain, the jingle bell mok is clearly just Christmas.

I'm not a fan of gray either. I could see something like the standmok working with jeans, but I would still prefer a shade of brown over gray. The Cornwallis, to me, looks like shoes for the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz- the only utility I could see would be with a navy suit, but I would again prefer black or a shade of brown all day long.

Marc S

Reaction score

Bob's Chili Bleecker Streets and navy suit (sans tie) today while on a work trip.
LL
Looks amazing!!

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy Cornwallis today:

As I mentioned last night, if the Cornwallis works for you, jump on the midnight navy. It's gorgeous.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be alone on this but I'm not a fan of the grey at all. I cannot picture pairing them with anything and they just look to me like a worn out shoe. Love navy though, already have the strands so I'm not sure I need more. The rudolph is clever but I think it is a shoe I'd have to explain, the jingle bell mok is clearly just Christmas.

I can see people thinking this way about gray shoes. I've got a gray pair of Black Hills, as oxymoronic as that sounds. I like them, just not as much as some of my other pairs, but that's mostly because I really like a lot of my pairs. For pure comfort, though, they're tough to beat.

For me, gray works best as a counterpoint to denim, especially when you have a darker shirt on that's black or gray or even navy. To me, black shoes can often look a bit too formal, and so they're not my preferred color. I like that the Black Hills are a rougher leather that skews casual and the gray color keeps pushing it in the casual direction. For a shoe like the Strand or the Cornwallis, it might not make a lot of sense to most to wear with denim (even though I've worn my oxblood Strands with jeans many times). But, if that's your style, you can definitely rock the bejesus out of gray.

If I had a wardrobe that skewed more formal/dressier, I'd probably avoid these new gray offerings. But, since I don't, I'm more than willing to snag one of these at a later date once all the nay-sayers have passed them over and they go on super-duper Shoebank clearance.

In the meanwhile, I'm doing my best to restrain myself from looking at the navy stuff. It's already really hard to resist the blue Neumoks on Shoebank. The wallet says "no" right now, even though the inner-weasel is screaming, "Yes! Yes! A thousand times, yes!"

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I had a wardrobe that skewed more formal/dressier, I'd probably avoid these new gray offerings. But, since I don't, I'm more than willing to snag one of these at a later date once all the nay-sayers have passed them over and they go on super-duper Shoebank clearance.

This is my big issue I think- I wear a suit 5 days a week, so most of my shoes are dressier.

Last edited:

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my big issue I think- I wear a suit 5 days a week, so most of my shoes are dressier.

Even with jeans which I wear on fridays (or chinos) I just don't see myself wearing those grey ones. I'm a big fan of the grey suedes with jeans and chinos but I think navy suit pants are the only thing those grey shoes pair with and I'd pick black, walnut, chili, brown, oxblood, merlot, even navy over grey. Maybe if it made it all the way down to like $127 I'd be willing to give them a shot but outside of that price point I cannot buy a show I know will sit on the shelf 99/100 times. Navy cornwallis is very appealing if it can be had at $295, at $395 I'll hold out for a sale or shoebank. Dark Chili Mora 2.0 are definitely calling my name.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time the Strands sold like Pink Floyd concert tickets because they were only $275. This time being $395, it makes me wonder if they will last a lot longer. But will they last all the way until October 7th? People have been talking about buying the navy on shoebank, but I'm yet to see a pair on there in navy.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time the Strands sold like Pink Floyd concert tickets because they were only $275. This time being $395, it makes me wonder if they will last a lot longer. But will they last all the way until October 7th? People have been talking about buying the navy on shoebank, but I'm yet to see a pair on there in navy.

According to a shoebank SA they saw VERY few seconds from the limited offering. If I recall it was its own separate shoe rather than being included in the available colors. I don't think this is intended to be a limited run as it was before. It may not be a long term color depending on how well it does but it does seem like it is intentionally being added to the color lineup to stay at least beyond a limited offering.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to feed the weasels.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to a shoebank SA they saw VERY few seconds from the limited offering. If I recall it was its own separate shoe rather than being included in the available colors. I don't think this is intended to be a limited run as it was before. It may not be a long term color depending on how well it does but it does seem like it is intentionally being added to the color lineup to stay at least beyond a limited offering.
I hope you're right. If the PA's drop to 245 - 275, I'll have no choice but to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads