1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

So speaking of poor release planning - anyone here get either the new 2016 version of the freiburg, or the tobywing from last bf? I've heard nothing about either around here.

2. lodemia

lodemia Well-Known Member

PSA: Nordstrom Rack has Madison Ave Cap Toe in black for $119. Just snagged the last pair of 13s. Going quickly, as it was posted to a deal forum...

3. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Denim and the new Shannon Drives today. Pretty comfy straight out of the box. I'll try to get side by side shots with the olive McT tomorrow morning in some nice sunlight. @drile , I would stick with the same size, or if you really anticipate volume being an issue maybe go to the D width. (I can feel the excess volume when I push down with my fingers, but haven't noticed it while walking, with creasing, etc.)

Think I am going to try some Meltonian olive polish and some chili edge dressing at some point. In the mean time, these seriously rock for $120.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. drile

drile Member

Thanks @middlepP - ordered in the same size as I wear on 65 last. Appreciate the help guys. Excited to get them!

1 person likes this.
  5. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

I know I'm a day early but can you blame me?
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Lmrjfud

Lmrjfud Well-Known Member

Question to the sizing gurus,
    I have a pair of PAs in 9.5 EE that feel a bit narrow in width and extend way past the end of my big toe.
    The Fifth ave in 9 EEE is correct in width but my toes still have a good deal of room to wiggle (about a thumb plus a bit). V gap is fine.
    I have a pair of 9 EEE strands that are very comfortable but the V gap is quite large.
    I have the Carlyle in 9 EEE which again is very comfortable, has a narrow V gap, but has some crazy creasing going on.
    My Cornwallis are again in 9 EEE and were a bit tight on the pinky toe until they broke in.
    The Mcallister in 9 EEE fits about as near to perfect as I can imagine and has no creasing issues.

On the advice of a SA I ordered the Higgins Mill in an 8.5 EEE. Does this sound appropriate?

TIA for the help.

7. Weathered

Weathered Active Member

Great minds think alike.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. kopo

kopo Well-Known Member

@Neo1Definitely no Park Ave with jeans, too sleek, which I feel the Lexington and La Marche appear to be as well.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@kopo So now I've totally lost the bubble on what you're after, so I can try to throw out some ideas.

Im guessing you want something casual but maybe on the more dressy side(?). Personally I'm overloaded in this area so I have more than enough to choose from - the freiburg, mctavish, big sur, black hills & aberdeen all get lots of use. More recent stuff, I'd say the academy & alumnus also fit the bill pretty well. I definitely hate to encourage him even more, but the shell Kenny makeup from the music man is probably the greatest casual shoe ever.

2 people like this.
  10. kopo

kopo Well-Known Member

Those are some interesting options, I'll check them out, thanks @Neo1

11. Weathered

Weathered Active Member

Edit: Not the Massdrop chukka, but rather my $159 bourbon Daltons, which look great (only a bit of fatty leather on the right upper that will be covered up by my pants) and fit like a glove out of the box, even better than my Dundees.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if these are part of the "new" run of bourbon, but the color is dead-on what I'd expect from bourbon. With that in mind, has anyone come up with a good polish routine for bourbon that retains the character?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    6 people like this.
  12. Lobster33

Lobster33 Well-Known Member

Based on my mistakes, I might suggest a neutral polish since it won't mess up the color. That color is very nice indeed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  13. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Great looking boot @Weathered ! Looks like they nailed the color. I would primarily use neutral, with some bourbon and black occasionally mixed in.

14. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Hey fellow travelers who, on occasion, have to worry about the wife/significant other, seeing yet another pair of shoes in the closet. I felt it was time to share a little shoe wisdom I have developed over the last year and a half. I call this "Hiding them in plain sight." I initially bought a hanging shoe bag that held 10 pairs and I quickly realized those empty spaces stood out like a sore thumb and they were really easy to count. I have learned that most wives can count to 10 as they constantly practice it before yelling at their husbands. Ha, kidding....not really very much.

I decided that the trick was to make sure there were no blank spaces to count. I told my wife that that this was the perfect place to store my "shoe junk" so that it was not in the floor. Then I insert some extra shoe trees and bags I bought off Ebay into the empty spaces. Presto-chango, a full shoe bag. Now when a new pair arrives I simply switch out the bag and trees with the new pair, with trees and said shoe bag. This will allow you to jump from 5 to 8 to 10 without a bit of notice. Three empty spaces, # 3, 8 & 9, are waiting for me in this bag. Even when I fill it with new shoes, it just all looks the same.

[​IMG]

Yes, you may now stand slack jawed in amazement. You are welcome.

9 people like this.
  15. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Well-Known Member

I think the Boone is lined?

1 person likes this.
  16. 007Bond

007Bond Well-Known Member

Ah yes you have another good idea.

I made a shoe rack that goes deep into the end of the closet and then I keep long coats to block the back end. So no one can see what is in the end and I keep most shoes in the front and then add to the unseen back. But I like this idea as it adds easy expansion and I also like the idea of hiding in plain sight. Great Idea!

17. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Wednesday forum pals. Dark chili for the mid week.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. masterguns

masterguns Member

A nice, sunny day here. Always catching compliments with these shoes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    2 people like this.
  19. orange fury

orange fury Well-Known Member

I'm realizing that it's been a long while since I participated in Walnut Wednesday...:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

I think we're getting into a really weird area, here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.