• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No restocking fee if returned to outlet in person

Thanks! I thought that since another store had shipped them to me, I would need to pay the restocking fee, but it's good to know that that's not the case.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I need your help with unlined suede shoes, as I have 0 experience when it comes to suede. I picked up suede AE for BB wingtip bals with reverse welt from BB in 7.5D and 8D. How much stretching should I expect with an unlined pair? They both feel fine, but with 8D I have more room lengthwise, while with 7.5D my toes are pretty much touching the front and feel a little cramped when I flex my feet. Also, 7.5D maybe feel just a little bit snugger, but not uncomfortable. I am hesitant to go with the 8D, as I am afraid this thing might stretch too much. Also, I plan to go sockless and/or no show.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
You will get some stretching with unlined suede. This has been my experience so far:
very little stretching: shell cordovan
medium stretching: suede
a lot of stretching: calf and CXL

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I need your help with unlined suede shoes, as I have 0 experience when it comes to suede. I picked up suede AE for BB wingtip bals with reverse welt from BB in 7.5D and 8D. How much stretching should I expect with an unlined pair? They both feel fine, but with 8D I have more room lengthwise, while with 7.5D my toes are pretty much touching the front and feel a little cramped when I flex my feet. Also, 7.5D maybe feel just a little bit snugger, but not uncomfortable. I am hesitant to go with the 8D, as I am afraid this thing might stretch too much. Also, I plan to go sockless and/or no show.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

What do you brannock and are you getting a proper V-gap with the 7.5D? From what your describing they sound a little small, but I suppose if you can live with the length, then thats up to you. I wouldn't be OVERLY worried about the stretch for two reasons. One, you can lace tighter (this partly why I asked about the V-gap). Two, by most accounts some/all stretch will subside by the use of cedar shoe trees in between wearings.

Have you tried the same shoe NOT from BB? The poron insoles in the BB models tend to make them fit a bit more snug according to what I've read. I personally don't own any BB models.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cc808314 Like others have said, there are varying degrees of stretch. But - I find that stretch affects the fit in width and arch, not length. If just wearing them around the house you're touching the front, id be really hesitant. You have no idea after a couple hours of walking how bad that could get. A long time ago I was sized wrong and ended up with a pair of nashuas that was too short. Felt ok at home, but after a few hours I couldn't wait to get them off. Went up a half size and liked them so much I actually now have two pairs.

misterellington

Reaction score
Was a chilly, damp-ish day yesterday, so I broke out the Black Cascades for their maiden voyage. LOVE these boots! The texture/feel of the calf on this shoe is something special. There's a richness to it. Almost CXL-ish. A longtime poster here noted something about his Cascades—that they seem to garner attention from passers-by. I can vouch for this. I got three comments on these in three different locations—one on the subway, one at a local Duane Reade (a Walgreens
2122.png
-owned drug store chain here in NYC) and the other in an elevator.

They're excellent “clomp-around” boots, but they somehow have a dressiness about them. AE marketed them (they've since been discontinued) as a foul-weather boot for the rain and such. The waxiness of the leather MAY make it okay for that in a light to medium downpour, but...I think they look great on a gray day without a lot of precip, too.

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't necessarily say that black gets a bad rap. My opinion is that most people here feel that black has a purpose, but people who wear it every day lack any adventure in their wardrobe. If those same people would just put on a tone of brown, their eyes would be opened.

I used to wear black shoes a lot, most especially with blue and gray pants. Since I've been exposed to AE and Styleforum, I bet I haven't worn my black shoes in ten months. I have bought 11 pairs (last one on the way) since joining here, and I still don't have any in black. I keep thinking I need to add a black PA or FA to the list, just in case I have to attend a funeral, but there is always something better for my money.

I love my black Jeffersons for a little bit of flair when wearing my three-piece charcoal suit, but generally otherwise agree. Hell, my black captoe is J&M Melton (Goodyear welted in India); they're $175 and last quite a few years with the amount of wear they get. I can get them recrafted by a local cobbler for $80 and get another full wear out of them. Now, they are corrected grain, but since I usually want a high shine on black captoes that isn't much of a problem.

Of the ~15 pair I've bought in the last 2+ years (filthy, filthy barnweasels), there have been one shell (soon, my preciouses, soon), one chromexcel, two suede, and the rest calf. The calf breaks down to approximately 30% brown, 30% chili, 20% merlot/oxblood, and 20% walnut. I did buy one black shoe, the Verona, simply because I thought I needed a black loafer for some reason. It rarely gets worn, but I'm still somewhat partial to it.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Verona is from the Italian line, right? There's something idiomatically correct about a black bit loafer. Wear it in good health!

Scarlet

Reaction score
I just noticed that the 809 last has disappeared from the All About Lasts page, which saddens me. I was hoping for Gobi 2.0.

I've stumbled across the Allen Edmonds Chinese website a few times and it's weird. It still says
00a9.png
2012 at the bottom and has lots of interesting discontinued models, but also has the Normandy up which is a relatively recent release. AE's not still selling making all those old models and selling them in China, are they?

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After a few light coats of VSC, my walnut Strands are now prepped and ready for the 2016 spring/summer engagement party and wedding circuit. While I do regularly employ the Mac Method of damp wiping and brushing Shell Cordovan, I can't remember the last time I used actual product on these shoes.

They are now two years old and I love the color character they have developed.

I hope everyone's weekend is going well, as always!

Those shoes are superb. I must own a shell Strand at some point. I am jealous beyond words.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@robster35 My favorite AE of all time, the original player, was on the 222. I guess its possible the Madison & player 2 are in the 222 but I thought they discontinued the last since everyone but me hated it. So my guess would be 108. Its one or the other.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Scarlet I noticed that site months ago and was actually wondering the same thing - think they still listed Ridgeway and banchory.

robster35

Reaction score

@robster35 My favorite AE of all time, the original player, was on the 222. I guess its possible the Madison & player 2 are in the 222 but I thought they discontinued the last since everyone but me hated it. So my guess would be 108. Its one or the other.

hey no i actually called AE she said it was made on the 222 last. great last. im ok with the 65 in most cases sometimes my pinky toe will get a little pinched. but the 222 is perfect

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@robster35 The 222 is still alive! Appreciate your calling. Here's a tip I found out if you're interested - the sea island should be 195 in April for the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads