• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Knowing the way David does business, I am quite sure he will make it right by you.

i would imagine so. because david is the nicest guy ever.

jeffd

Reaction score
Knowing the way David does business, I am quite sure he will make it right by you.

Well, it's as much my mistake as his - I'm sure he sends verification emails for this very reason and I can't much blame him for my slipshod proofreading skills.

jeffd

Reaction score
And an inch or two too short for me as well, but that's entirely my own doing.
shog[1].gif

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Three prometeo grenadines are 53" - midnight blue, medium red and dark sienna.  There's also an olive shot silk at 54".  I might keep that, as it looks pretty cool as a skinny tie.  

53"?! Goodness. At such a short length, 3.25" isn't really all that skinny. EDIT: sprout beat me to it. ^

Well, it's as much my mistake as his - I'm sure he sends verification emails for this very reason and I can't much blame him for my slipshod proofreading skills.  

Did you request 3.625" in the notes when you initially placed the order? Also keep in mind that Hober tie edges are not pressed completely flat, but instead are left to roll naturally, so they might appear a bit slimmer than specified. Not suggesting this is what's going on in your case, though.

Last edited:

jeffd

Reaction score
This is what I wrote in the notes. (I made a mistake above, the silk tie is 55", not 54".) David suggested shortening the grenadines to 53" and use a four in hand, and I said I'd trust his advice. So that's how the length came to be. As it turns out, the ties are a bit thicker than I thought they'd be, so next time, I'll go with at least a 56" length if not back to a 57" (1" less for grenadines). I know the grenadines will stretch and I suspect the shot silk will stretch a bit as well, so if I keep these, I'll want to wear them for a while before deciding on the length.

Quote:
After leaving a voice mail with me about changing the length of the grenadines, David sent this email to verify the dimensions, and that's where the mix up happened...

Quote:
THT-14: 55 by 3.25 inches for a half-Windsor 3-fold
Grenadines: 53 by 3.25 for a FIH 4-fold

Kind regards,
David

So now the whole story is told.
tongue.gif
My apologies to David if this is coming across as an ordeal. That is NOT my intention at all. I only posted to express frustration with myself - not with him.

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump. I would appreciate any comment..Thanks

I have one of David's black/white POW ties but not the #14. I believe the ties quoted below are the #14 though. Hope that helps.

As promised pictures of my two new hobers garza piccola bitter chocolate and pow plaid
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="tdude, post: 6635071, member: 154323"]

This is a great silk. Extremely dry and somewhat stiff.

[/QUOTE]

jeffd

Reaction score
You guys were right - David sent me an email and told me he would remake the ties gratis, which I think is remarkably generous, considering. A lot of businesses would just say that I'd approved the measurements and that would be the end of it. He even told me to wear them a bit to see how the length works so that he could make any adjustments that needed to be made. What a great person to do business with! :slayer:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boom. davis is the man. but we all knew that.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tons of pics in this thread, but I haven't seen one of the purple/black grenadine fina #35. I think the purple/black grenadines are underrated, as it makes a nice alternative to burgundy and looks great with gray and navy suits. I know PP posted his grossa example a while back, but can anyone share pics of the fina? Thinking about making that my next purchase, and/or the original SF club grenadine... or perhaps a neat since I have lots of solids and grenadines already, like mljs.

At long last here is the dark purple/black grenadine fina #35. Although my shirt stripes and jacket are washed out, I think the tie color is pretty true to life on my monitor. Sometimes it appears more violet, sometimes more magenta depending on the light.

Sorry for the delay, no work Monday for 15th Century War Criminal Day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads