• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebuilding tie collection - Sam Hober vs Drakes vs Shibumi vs Other?

paladin99

Reaction score
Looking to rebuild a tie collection from scratch and am curious about everyone's perspective when considering quality, knot, and value.

Planning to start with a few grenadine ties and have my eyes on burgundy, navy, and navy pindot to start. Perhaps a repp as well.

Sam Hober looks great and seems universally loved as a great value. What are folk's thoughts on the $130 price point for their navy pindot (hand sewn pindots)? The solids seem fine at $95 but will need to add shipping.

Mr. Porter has a burgundy Drake's (Kingsman) at ~$130 (using 15% off first app order). Free shipping.

Shibumi seems to have great options as well at ~$110 each shipped to the US when buying three. Have heard great things overall but kind of hesitant to buy three at once without seeing them.

Also tempted by Kent Wang's option at $75 but feel like the extra cost on the ones above are worth it if outcome is noticeably different.

I don't think I actually have a need special sizing except I'm slightly under average height. Width between 3" to 3.25" generally works.

How would you approach this? Not focused on exact price but am generally looking for a great value!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might not at all be what you're looking for, but I generally think that the best value in ties is going to thrift stores. You can often find very nice ties for virtually nothing at all. Though I am not someone who claims to be an expert in any sense regarding ties, but I have found good quality, 100% silk ties, for as at little as 99 cents at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc, and sometimes you will find some profoundly well made ties for virtually nothing.

Now, if you have your heart set on a specific tie, from a specific maker, this is probably going to not get you what you want, but you'd be surprised at what you might find at a thrift store, and I'd give it at least a shot before investing quite a lot of money.

TomTom

Reaction score
In my experience you find the maker or more that suits you taste and style and then you slowly progress with buying the ties. . I have found Benson&Clegg , HNWhite and E. Capella but everybody has a preference. Thrift shops can also contain some gems but it's just not my thing. Good luck on your journey , may you find some beautiful ties and wear them often.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to rebuild a tie collection from scratch and am curious about everyone's perspective when considering quality, knot, and value.

Planning to start with a few grenadine ties and have my eyes on burgundy, navy, and navy pindot to start. Perhaps a repp as well.

Sam Hober looks great and seems universally loved as a great value. What are folk's thoughts on the $130 price point for their navy pindot (hand sewn pindots)? The solids seem fine at $95 but will need to add shipping.

Mr. Porter has a burgundy Drake's (Kingsman) at ~$130 (using 15% off first app order). Free shipping.

Shibumi seems to have great options as well at ~$110 each shipped to the US when buying three. Have heard great things overall but kind of hesitant to buy three at once without seeing them.

Also tempted by Kent Wang's option at $75 but feel like the extra cost on the ones above are worth it if outcome is noticeably different.

I don't think I actually have a need special sizing except I'm slightly under average height. Width between 3" to 3.25" generally works.

How would you approach this? Not focused on exact price but am generally looking for a great value!
If you’re looking to stay in that price point of 130ish
Sam Hober for grenadines. Vanda for everything else.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All the brands you listed are good. The only one that stands out to me is Hober. If you're a stickler for quality and want a fully handmade tie, then he's the best option.

I mostly wear Drake's because I like the brand. But their ties are flat compared to Hober's.

Thrift shops can be good if you're on a budget, but used ties commonly have stretched out interlinings, which affect the knot

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ties I wear most often are by HN White. I might as well move all the other ties I have. E. Marinella is the only other brand I'd keep.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are not wearing them with a suit I would go with Vanda (no tie keeper for the thin blade). Otherwise, I would recommend the house brand carried by https://exquisitetrimmings.com/ as they are a fantastic value.

paladin99

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful suggestions! I'm not after a specific brand and have actually looked around thrift shops - just rarely saw classic designs, especially in good condition.

For context, I'm rebuilding a tie collection because it's been over a decade since I've regularly worn ties and gave almost all of them away. Now that I'm mid-thirties and increasingly in situations where a proper suit and tie are expected, I want to buy ones that I'll keep "forever".

I think the overall message is clear - try out different brands to assess individual preference. I'll probably put in an order for a Hober and Drake's now. Will also be research the other brands mentioned and purchase a few to try!

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend Hober for all plain ties. If you don't mind used ties, for stripes and patterns you can get some amazing deals on eBay. Much easier and wider selection than going to thrift stores, and you can search by maker. I don't have any Drakes, but an eBay search for Drakes ties brought up dozens (just one example https://www.ebay.com/itm/175179350849?hash=item28c980c341:g:AWsAAOSwwN9iDaGE). Ebay ties are often in much better condition than thrift stores. You just need to pay close attention to the photos, to the listed widths and lengths, and to whether the seller accepts returns (although sometimes the price discount for no returns is worth taking the gamble).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Grenadine Hober is the no-brainer best move. Exceptional quality, great knot.

I really like Shibumi because I like some of their patterns, but I would opt for Hober grenadines over them.

I have many Drakes ties, but haven't purchased any in a few years. I find their quality can be questionable for the price.

Vanda is great as mentioned above.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This might not at all be what you're looking for, but I generally think that the best value in ties is going to thrift stores. You can often find very nice ties for virtually nothing at all. Though I am not someone who claims to be an expert in any sense regarding ties, but I have found good quality, 100% silk ties, for as at little as 99 cents at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc, and sometimes you will find some profoundly well made ties for virtually nothing.

Now, if you have your heart set on a specific tie, from a specific maker, this is probably going to not get you what you want, but you'd be surprised at what you might find at a thrift store, and I'd give it at least a shot before investing quite a lot of money.

I don't know if you're joking or out of touch or what, but that chance of finding a quality tie (SF quality) at a thrift store is basically 1 in a million. Even if you do, it's probably stretched out, stained, or marred in some other way. Neckwear is like underwear; it's essentially disposable and should never be bought second-hand except under extremely unusual circumstances.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For context, I'm rebuilding a tie collection because it's been over a decade since I've regularly worn ties and gave almost all of them away. Now that I'm mid-thirties and increasingly in situations where a proper suit and tie are expected, I want to buy ones that I'll keep "forever".

This doesn't make any sense at all. I'm in my early 30s and have never found a reason to give ties away. I acquired some nice ties 5-10 years ago and they are serving me well still.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics