• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebuilding tie collection - Sam Hober vs Drakes vs Shibumi vs Other?

Gennaro

Reaction score
Im another Sam Hober fan boi lol and I re-started my tie collection which consisted of crap basically. I looked for nice ties and found Sam Hober most likely from SF. I love the Grenadine ties they are awesome they are a nice staple in any tie collection. Fast forward to today I have a half dozen SH ties the basic colors Black, Blue and Red. Im still missing a couple of colors like Gold and a Green. Im a very big fan of Brooks Brothers ties that you can find on eBay for a still for those classic business ties. There's is a SH tie thread that any SH enthusiast needs to visit to get their tie fix good luck with your new collection.
My tie collection is top notch.

I visited Sam Hober's website, what throws me off is their silk collection. Are they good silk? I am no expert but what is Thai silk? How does it compare to the silk I can buy in Como Italia?

TexasToast

Reaction score
My tie collection is top notch.

I visited Sam Hober's website, what throws me off is their silk collection. Are they good silk? I am no expert but what is Thai silk? How does it compare to the silk I can buy in Como Italia?
I think the silk is fine, I'm no expert either. I couldn't tell you I've never purchased silk from Como Italia.

Gennaro

Reaction score
I did not know Thai silk is more prestigious than Italian; can't wait to get my first tie from them, I'll prolly get 3. Love you all thanks for your help!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did not know Thai silk is more prestigious than Italian; can't wait to get my first tie from them, I'll prolly get 3. Love you all thanks for your help!
Does anyone know if I can contact Sam directly? Share the email? :D

Would not describe it as more prestigious than Italian silk. It just has a little more sheen. It's more about taste and how you want to dress.

You can contact David by emailing him at the address listed on his website.

Last edited:

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello Gennaro,

Your questions are good ones.

Thai silk is traditionally handwoven (note slubs and imperfections are normal) and hand dyed and has already been mentioned will often have bright sheen.

If you are a very conservative business man Thai silk may not be for you.

Our grenadine silk is woven in Como as is many of our silks. All of our Italian silks are woven in Como.

Silk woven in Como are very beautifully finished. Our silks woven in England have very classic designs and are sometimes heavier than our Italian silks.

Sam is Samantha my daughter, my name is David Hober and I will be happy to answer any of your questions about silks or ties.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the patterened ties (which are often more of a matter of taste and whether you like the pattern, in any event), but his solid ties (grenadines, reppes, oxfords, mulberrywoods, etc.) are the best I've seen, and, while not necessarily inexpensive and dont go on sale, are a good deal at the price and more than worth the money. The fact that you can specify all the measurements is simply icing on the cake. I have 7 or 8. David has always been good to deal with, as well.

Gennaro

Reaction score
Hello Gennaro,

Your questions are good ones.

Thai silk is traditionally handwoven (note slubs and imperfections are normal) and hand dyed and has already been mentioned will often have bright sheen.

If you are a very conservative business man Thai silk may not be for you.

Our grenadine silk is woven in Como as is many of our silks. All of our Italian silks are woven in Como.

Silk woven in Como are very beautifully finished. Our silks woven in England have very classic designs and are sometimes heavier than our Italian silks.

Sam is Samantha my daughter, my name is David Hober and I will be happy to answer any of your questions about silks or ties.

OMG thank you so much, everyone.

Mr. Hober! Nice to e-meet you. It's amazing that you can interact right here.

I'd love to get two of your ties. One more casual that I will wear more often. And one more 'prestigious' that I will rarely or may never wear - I have the rule of 10, ten % of my ties will be there as a piece of art that I will go look at but not sure I will ever wear them. I am very OCD with my wardrobe and treat some of my clothes as someone would treat a painting or a sculpture - this obviously only applies to my handmade, bespoke clothes. :) - (My grandfather had almost 1000 ties and 50-100 were his most precious and prestigious ties that he never used).

I am at a bar right now and just browsing your website. Curious about these types of silk:
- Mulberrywood - - Reppe Thai Silk - https://www.samhober.com/neckties/thai-silk/thai-reppe-silk-tie/blue-reppe-thai-silk-rstht-1.html
- How is your cashmere? The only cashmere ties I have are from Marinella. https://www.samhober.com/neckties/cashmere/cesare-gatti-cashmere-ties/
- These look stunning, what type of silk is this? https://www.samhober.com/neckties/thai-silk/thai-saiphone-and-brocade-silk-ties/
- Same for Mudmee - What is it? What makes it so distinctive? https://www.samhober.com/neckties/thai-silk/thai-mudmee-silk-ties/mudmee-silk-tie-1.html

Anything else I should consider?

Thank you Mr Hober,
GG

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello Gennaro,

If you have questions about measurements etc please email me directly as I don't always see forum posts...

Our Mulberrywood weave silks are usually woven in Como and are conservative business silks.

The cashmere that you mention is woven in Como and again a classic conservative fabric.

Our Thai silks are handwoven and hand dyed. I am not sure what you mean by prestigious - I would describe them as artisanal and elegant and beautiful and unique as they are hand woven and no two will be exactly alike...

Mudmee silk is the most unusual of our Thai silks. Mudmee is the Thai word for Ikat an Indonesian word.

Mudee silk starts with each yarn of silk being hand dyed and dried. The dyers have patterns in their mind when they dye the silk sort of like a complex bar code...

The pattern shows up when the silk is woven.

Weaving Our Thai silk

Tonga an expert weaver from Noi's village

Our Sangdao Silk

Silk Care

Last edited:

Gennaro

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Hober, may I have your email? I'd love to place an order for a couple of ties.

Also thanks for the thorough explanation. Your ties look fantastic.

Thank you!
GG

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
GG,

Thank you for your kind words.

Please click on contact US on our website

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads