• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebuilding tie collection - Sam Hober vs Drakes vs Shibumi vs Other?

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you are not wearing them with a suit I would go with Vanda (no tie keeper for the thin blade). Otherwise, I would recommend the house brand carried by https://exquisitetrimmings.com/ as they are a fantastic value.

Why are Vanda ties a problem to wear with a suit? I have several and wear them with a suit without hesitation. The no keeper aspect is not a problem. I never use the keeper even if a tie has one.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neckwear is like underwear; it's essentially disposable and should never be bought second-hand except under extremely unusual circumstances.
This may be true for thrift stores, but you can get some great used ties in fantastic condition on eBay.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you're joking or out of touch or what, but that chance of finding a quality tie (SF quality) at a thrift store is basically 1 in a million. Even if you do, it's probably stretched out, stained, or marred in some other way. Neckwear is like underwear; it's essentially disposable and should never be bought second-hand except under extremely unusual circumstances.

I don't know the thrift stores you have, but I have never once bought a stretched, stained, or otherwise marred tie, and I have bought 50 ties in the last year from thrift stores, all 100% silk, and almost all of them from well known tie makers.

paladin99

Reaction score
This doesn't make any sense at all. I'm in my early 30s and have never found a reason to give ties away. I acquired some nice ties 5-10 years ago and they are serving me well still.

Happy to provide additional context though it feels a bit silly that your single personal experience leads you to be so incredulous.

A little over a decade ago, I was a fresh grad entering a management consultant role. I allocated most of my limited wardrobe budget on MTM suits because nothing fit me OTR and I ended up cheaping out on ties.

I haven't worn ties regularly since (have primarily been in tech) and slowly gave my ties away to friends who were interviewing or just starting their careers.

While I'm still in tech, my role is now heavily client (conservative industry) and investor facing. Rather than optimizing for cheap/variety, I'm now looking to build an enduring collection of quality pieces. I don't expect to give the new ones away anytime soon but it's certainly a non-zero chance if my lifestyle changed and a friend was in need.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know the thrift stores you have, but I have never once bought a stretched, stained, or otherwise marred tie, and I have bought 50 ties in the last year from thrift stores, all 100% silk, and almost all of them from well known tie makers.

"Well known tie makers" ≠ SF quality. I'd bet my left nut you haven't found a Hober, Vanda, Shibumi, or similar in perfect condition at a brick and mortar thrift store.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Well known tie makers" ≠ SF quality. I'd bet my left nut you haven't found a Hober, Vanda, Shibumi, or similar in perfect condition at a brick and mortar thrift store.

I don't think I have ever heard the phrase "SF" and "quality" used so closely linked.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Im another Sam Hober fan boi lol and I re-started my tie collection which consisted of crap basically. I looked for nice ties and found Sam Hober most likely from SF. I love the Grenadine ties they are awesome they are a nice staple in any tie collection. Fast forward to today I have a half dozen SH ties the basic colors Black, Blue and Red. Im still missing a couple of colors like Gold and a Green. Im a very big fan of Brooks Brothers ties that you can find on eBay for a steal for those classic business ties. There's is a SH tie thread that any SH enthusiast needs to visit to get their tie fix good luck with your new collection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads