• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Received my shipping notice late last night/early this AM for my most recent order.  Went with Macclesfield #84, a Navy and Powder Houndstooth, a Navy fina, and a the Powder Blue stripe on midnight grenadine!  This brings my total of Hobers up to 7.  I'm already thinking about a seven fold grenadine and some diamond weaves for my next order...

Nice choices. Navy and powder houndstooth will be in my next order if they have it in stock July 28th (NPC grace period).

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice choices. Navy and powder houndstooth will be in my next order if they have it in stock July 28th (NPC grace period).
I would be very interested to see the navy and powder worn successfully. It looks gorgeous, just not sure what I would wear it with. Pink? I'd fear wearing it with white/blue patterned due to the similarities.

Keep in mind I have no imagination.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest Hober acquisition. Posted pics of it a few days ago. Here's a shot "in action":

Unlined, untipped navy grenadine fina, true 7-fold. Clearly, I need practice on my tie selfie pics to get to the level of PP and other posters in this thread. ;)

I haven't really worn the tie yet--just tried it on to see what kind of knot it makes and how it drapes, as this is my first unlined tie and first 7-fold. As suspected, the knot and drape are absolutely incredible. Sadly though, I will need to be selling this tie (and have already listed it here), as I totally neglected to account for the inherent stretch of an unlined grenadine. I specified the length to be 60", which has become my ideal length. After trying the tie on twice and being very gentle when tying and untying it, it stretched to 61.5". :confused: Someone hurry up and buy it from me so I can order another one in a shorter length. :D

Yowzer

Reaction score
Classic look Fly. Probably a silly question but are 7-fold ties generally unlined? I suppose having a lining to give it better shape would make it too thick?

tdude

Reaction score
Latest Hober acquisition. Posted pics of it a few days ago. Here's a shot "in action":

Unlined, untipped navy grenadine fina, true 7-fold. Clearly, I need practice on my tie selfie pics to get to the level of PP and other posters in this thread.
wink.gif

I haven't really worn the tie yet--just tried it on to see what kind of knot it makes and how it drapes, as this is my first unlined tie and first 7-fold. As suspected, the knot and drape are absolutely incredible. Sadly though, I will need to be selling this tie (and have already listed it here), as I totally neglected to account for the inherent stretch of an unlined grenadine. I specified the length to be 60", which has become my ideal length. After trying the tie on twice and being very gentle when tying and untying it, it stretched to 61.5".
confused.gif
Someone hurry up and buy it from me so I can order another one in a shorter length.
biggrin.gif

that is a beautiful tie, knot, dimple. wow I have the grossa, maybe I need the fina too (cant buy yours though, I wear 57-58".)

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would be very interested to see the navy and powder worn successfully. It looks gorgeous, just not sure what I would wear it with. Pink? I'd fear wearing it with white/blue patterned due to the similarities. Keep in mind I have no imagination.
:) This was my effort a few weeks ago. Solid navy suit and solid shirt. I think it would also pair nicely with various striped shirts.
Today's Hober is the english pattern #20 (3-fold construction).

obama

Reaction score
Hi Arch, could you pls identify the 2nd from bottom? Does it reflect the true color IRL? Looks very nice and rich.

Repost of part of my collection that includes the 3 flower ties. The red and light blue flower tie does have a bit of sheen but not as much as in the picture. I still prefer the blue and blues.

elstinnett

Reaction score

:) This was my effort a few weeks ago. Solid navy suit and solid shirt. I think it would also pair nicely with various striped shirts.

My first attempt will be a solid navy suit with a solid white shirt as well. Simple background to allow the tie to shine.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Classic look Fly. Probably a silly question but are 7-fold ties generally unlined? I suppose having a lining to give it better shape would make it too thick?

Thanks! I'm no expert on 7-folds as this is my first, but yes, I believe they are generally unlined, especially a grenadine (though an unlined, true 7-fold grenadine is a bit of a rarity). Being that a 7-fold uses roughly twice the amount of silk as a normal 3 or 4 fold, it is plenty thick enough without an interlining. However, as noted above, the lack of a lining does mean the silk will stretch and wrinkle more easily. I guess this is the reason why many "7-folds" are actually lined 6-folds. Still, I quite like this unlined 7-fold, and while I wouldn't want all my ties to be of this variety, I think it would be nice to own a few more.

that is a beautiful tie, knot, dimple. wow  I have the grossa, maybe I need the fina too (cant buy yours though, I wear 57-58".)

All of my Hober ties knot and dimple wonderfully, but this one takes the cake. :nodding:

Last edited:

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "SF Club Tie" (navy grenadine w/ powder blue and brown stripes) has been restocked. :slayer: Also, eagerly awaiting pics of the new striped grenadines.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "SF Club Tie" (navy grenadine w/ powder blue and brown stripes) has been restocked.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Also, eagerly awaiting pics of the new striped grenadines.
Ordering one (@Claghorn, not for me - for a friends wedding in October)! Hopefully he still has them later for me.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A traditional 7 fold tie is unlined. Many who prefer the overall look and feel of a 7 fold, but want arguably more durability, less stretching/twisting, and arguably a better drape, will opt for a lined 6 fold tie (which, of course, Hober has as an option).

I'm not advocating for one or the other, but my personal preference for tie construction is probably a lined 6 fold.

Yowzer

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm no expert on 7-folds as this is my first, but yes, I believe they are generally unlined, especially a grenadine (though an unlined, true 7-fold grenadine is a bit of a rarity). Being that a 7-fold uses roughly twice the amount of silk as a normal 3 or 4 fold, it is plenty thick enough without an interlining. However, as noted above, the lack of a lining does mean the silk will stretch and wrinkle more easily. I guess this is the reason why many "7-folds" are actually lined 6-folds. Still, I quite like this unlined 7-fold, and while I wouldn't want all my ties to be of this variety, I think it would be nice to own a few more.
All of my Hober ties knot and dimple wonderfully, but this one takes the cake.
nod[1].gif

A traditional 7 fold tie is unlined. Many who prefer the overall look and feel of a 7 fold, but want arguably more durability, less stretching/twisting, and arguably a better drape, will opt for a lined 6 fold tie (which, of course, Hober has as an option).

I'm not advocating for one or the other, but my personal preference for tie construction is probably a lined 6 fold.

Thanks guys... the info is very useful. The lining route is looking more preferable since it would likely mean a longer tie-life over time. Been looking at a Fina since the last diamond weave and was thinking of going full bore for either a 6/7-fold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads