• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

348 last vs U last

glowell222

Reaction score
Here are my pics. Vass is on the left, C&J 348 on the right. As you can see, they are very similar, but the waist of the Vass is more narrow than the 348. Also, the opening is smaller, but that may be caused by the laces being pulled so tight.

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

raumil

Reaction score
Mr: glowell222

Thank you so much for the pics. The lasts look so similar. I like the way the sole of the Vass protudes more than the lip on the C&J. I like them both. As soon as I receive mine I will post some pics. Again thank you for the pics, I know a lot of people will benefit from this post.
worship.gif

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would add that U-balmoral last is not for you If your foot has high instep or if your foot is little wider than medium .

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raumil
Mr: glowell222 Thank you so much for the pics. The lasts look so similar. I like the way the sole of the Vass protudes more than the lip on the C&J. I like them both. As soon as I receive mine I will post some pics. Again thank you for the pics, I know a lot of people will benefit from this post.
worship.gif

Both the waist and the width of the outsole are variables that can be determined by the maker. If the welt is trimmed wide in the forepart and the insole trimmed narrow in the waist the result can virtually identical regardless of the last. Of course there are limits to this proposition but all other things being equal...or nearly so...these are not, strictly speaking, characteristics of the last.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raumil
Mr: glowell222

Thank you so much for the pics. The lasts look so similar.
worship.gif

+1. Out of curiosity, what size do you wear in each glowell222?

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
U last you have to see it in person as there are somethings you won't be able to determine in photo only:

for one, you need a high arch on your foot. as the U last runs slightly narrow but comes with a high instep.

for asian feet (and korean flat wide feet like mine) the U last doesnt work too well.

the enclosure around the ankles incurs some spacing due to the lack of uptake of the high instep so when laced up it does look a bit sloppy around that area.
take that into consideration.

the U last is more pointy than the 348 as well. some are put off by that. it has a distinct diamond shaped toebox.

Sounds like my dream shoe.....I have high arches. Thanks Sho.

glowell222

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
+1. Out of curiosity, what size do you wear in each glowell222?

The 348s are 11D, and the Us are EU 44.5. Also, I wanted to say a word about the C&J shoe trees. There was some talk on another thread that the trees weren't really lasted correctly, being either too short or too long and the wrong shape.

I assure you, they are the correct shape and fit the shoes perfectly. I feel they are certainly worth the money, and I recommend buying these trees over the generic trees.

Concord

Reaction score
Daid Beckham was wearing 348 Gerrard last night on Jonathan Ross last show..............well sharp two tone...........................

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concord
Thats DAVID beckham not Daid..............muppet......

Take it easy on yourself, man - that edit button on the right covers a host of errors.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
U last you have to see it in person as there are somethings you won't be able to determine in photo only:

for one, you need a high arch on your foot. as the U last runs slightly narrow but comes with a high instep.

for asian feet (and korean flat wide feet like mine) the U last doesnt work too well.

the enclosure around the ankles incurs some spacing due to the lack of uptake of the high instep so when laced up it does look a bit sloppy around that area.
take that into consideration.

the U last is more pointy than the 348 as well. some are put off by that. it has a distinct diamond shaped toebox.

I got wide Asian feet too
laugh.gif
, neither 348 nor U last works for me. The only sleepk C&J last that works for me is 358, and 337 sometimes

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
I would add that U-balmoral last is not for you If your foot has high instep or if your foot is little wider than medium .

So which is it?
patch[1].gif

zenga

Reaction score
I have both U-last Vass (size 41.5) and C&J 348 (7.5). I do much prefer the U-last as it is more aggressive (maybe also due to the fact that I have the double sole tapering to one) though still elegant. The 348-last (at least in size 7.5) appears more pointy and not as elegant. I am nonetheless still debating with myself whether to get the Lowndes or the double monk Vass (however currently leaning towards the Vass).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fasdff