or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III - Page 5216  

post #78226 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcobinad View Post

The weather has been good to us thus far ! smile.gifWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Very nice casual look

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcobinad View Post

Chairman, I hail. smile.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
My Guy, How you dey? biggrin.gif
post #78227 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTO View Post


A hot, but overcast, day in London

Thursday...


& last week...


All kind of challenge related, one way or another.
-TTO

This hat (pic #1 and #2) looks far better than the beaver one earlier posted by another fellow. Perhaps because it is sized more proportionally to the head, or more believable as the wearer is clearly older and bearded. 

post #78228 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

Perhaps LA Guy and emptym will agree with you. It certainly was a judgment call on my part. But as I suggested earlier, you can further explore the issue here:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/164395/transparent-moderation-log-site-topics-part-ii/14480_20

 

Also, please remember that the right to free speech protects you from the government. That's all.

 

As far as your initial comments:

 

They were not about her clothing. They were about the fact that a woman was wearing men's clothing. And you described that as grotesque. Now. If you have further issue, take it up in Transparent Moderation.

Thank you moderator for the response. I recognize your statement on free speech in this forum, or particular thread. I don't have a problem with you making a judgment call or ruling. However, I do need clarification on one thing: am I allowed to say that "This is a bad look" or "This looks very off/incongruous to my eye" without getting deleted? I will not say more, and will await your response before doing so to abide by the speech rules of this particular thread. 

post #78229 of 78717

I'm not a moderator. As I said, you commented on the fact that a woman was wearing a man's clothes. You described it as grotesque. Had you simply said "that's the ugliest damn tie in the world. You need to burn it. In fact, you should burn your entire closet," I'd no issue other than thinking you're an ass.

 

I'm asking, because I have no authority to tell you: don't bring gender politics in here. And if you would like to continue to discuss the rules, as I said, you can do so on the Transparent Moderation Thread, or you can PM me, and I'll discuss this further with you. But for the benefit of this particular thread, let's drop the issue here.

post #78230 of 78717
To put it simply: It's about the clothes, not the person wearing them. Other things we don't need to hear about is what you think about peoples weight, lack of hair, height etc (Oh, and politics + religion of course).

Unless we know the person we don't get personal, just keep it about what we're all her for; the clothes.

If you know the poster in question and it's done in a sort of jest that's appreciated and established by both parties, it's alright to post whatever (thinking about Derk's "cock and balls" post up-thread). Fundamental social skills really.
post #78231 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

 

Also, please remember that the right to free speech protects you from the government. That's all.

 

I knew a friend who refused to allow his vehicle to be searched by his private employer on the grounds that it was against his constitutional rights. He was nearly fired.

post #78232 of 78717
I have learned that speaking your mind just bluntly draws more negativity. Just because people don't say it does not mean there aren't people who agree with you. If you have something constructive then we are all for it but just blatant negativity, racism, and sexism is not the place for here. This is the internet and some may feel like they are hiding behind their monitors and can say whatever. But that is not the case. There are people who build good relationships here not just in the virtual world but also in real life. I have learned that it is best to supress negativity. Believe me, I have done it before and have lots of my own opinions. But if it doesn't help anyone then I keep it to myself.
post #78233 of 78717
post #78234 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJamesWinston View Post
...free speech...

http://xkcd.com/1357/

post #78235 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post

Lovely sunny day, so got to wear a couple of new linen purchases. Actually I got the trousers last year but this was the first chance I've had to wear them.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
WS1Yzpt.jpg

Tom Ford knit tie?

 

No, but I wouldn't be particularly surprised if it was made by the same supplier. IIRC, there are very few knit tie makers. I can't actually remember where I got that one from; somewhere online I think, maybe KJ Beckett? I know I have a few knits from that shop, anyway.

post #78236 of 78717

Okay, I'm getting better at the dimple game and i've put my loafers aside.

Need some suggestions where to find beautiful shoes in a Euro size 38? 

 

post #78237 of 78717
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylerton View Post

yet another tie dimple attempt failed. still working on it guys. 




Nice fit and welcome to the forum. Are you wearing suspenders, can't really tell from my phone? If not, you need a belt then or pants with adjusters.


Edit: just saw your latest fit, so you can ignore the above
post #78238 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nice fit and welcome to the forum. Are you wearing suspenders, can't really tell from my phone? If not, you need a belt then or pants with adjusters.

 

Thanks, and nah I'm not wearing suspenders -- actually was looking for suspenders that day and couldn't find a pair i liked. Usually I do wear a belt though. 

post #78239 of 78717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

I'm not a moderator. As I said, you commented on the fact that a woman was wearing a man's clothes. You described it as grotesque. Had you simply said "that's the ugliest damn tie in the world. You need to burn it. In fact, you should burn your entire closet," I'd no issue other than thinking you're an ass.

 

I'm asking, because I have no authority to tell you: don't bring gender politics in here. And if you would like to continue to discuss the rules, as I said, you can do so on the Transparent Moderation Thread, or you can PM me, and I'll discuss this further with you. But for the benefit of this particular thread, let's drop the issue here.

Ok. But you did not answer my very basic question. You also deleted several of my posts so I assumed you were a moderator. I understand your statement on "gender politics" but how can I respond when a female is wearing male clothing, without bringing in the very basic question of whether or not that is appropriate in the first place?

 

By this I mean, while I could comment on the fit, the patterns, the coloring, the earrings/plugs, the basic issue with the whole outfit is that a female is wearing a male business suit. So while I could say, this outfit looks off, the reason behind it is the why rather than the particulars. Any suggestions I would have for the outfit would only making it more along the lines of a female business suit, which can look good, though I agree with others on this site that a jacket will usually look better on a woman with a skirt rather than suit pants as it is more befitting to the female form and body. 

 

Likewise, if I posted pictures of myself in a female business suit or pant suit, a-la Michael Scott, what would your reaction be? If I posted pictures of me wearing my wife's clothing on this thread, would it be deleted as it is not menswear? Where do you draw the line, which is the very question people that wear clothing in this way are begging to ask? Clearly some people on this thread like the gender reversal look in style as the person's look demonstrated, as some men also like non-kilt skirts on men, man purses, several finger rings, and wrist bracelets.

 

If you say that I deleted your posts because you were being too aggressive or mean-spirited, I am fine with that, I apologize, and will learn from this for the future. Some of the other responses are very full of holes in their logic. No religion? Fine. But how do you define maleness, or even what a man is without recognizing the larger framework or narrative? No politics? Fine. But how do you keep order on a site like this without some type of rules/laws/moderators acting as judiciary figures? And the comment on weight, height or baldness? These three things have much to do with how we dress and so should be brought up - albeit in a more charitable manner than I did. For example, if someone's clothing is too tight and their heft is showing, would we not point that out in a charitable fashion? The question of people who should (not must, we are free; wait that is a religious statement) lose weight for their health, and spend a lot of money on clothes, versus being or getting slim and looking good in most anything, is an interesting question that has been posed several times on this site, but I won't get in to it here. The point being, weight does matter to what you wear and how much to invest in a wardrobe if you are still trying to lose weight. And the number one reason why Americans typically dress so badly is undoubtedly because of our weight, which is constantly fluctuating (read increasing), and thus yoga or sweatpants with drawstrings and cheap t-shirts. Why invest in MTM, let alone bespoke, if our weight is gaining (or losing for less people) xx lbs per year? Again, a very basic menswear question. Would it not be best to say, keep the priority on the clothes, and be charitable in all things?  

 

Lastly, this part of the site is called Classic Menswear. The individual's look was 1) not classic by any means, and 2) not Menswear. So why was it not deleted or moved to the "What you want women to wear thread", or given its own thread (Women's Menswear"?) as it is so avant-garde? I don't have anything more to say, and because you never said I was allowed to, I will refrain from commenting on the individual's photos. 

post #78240 of 78717
The white bar across the tie adds too much visual disruption to the look; the tie itself is already disrupting the tattersall. (which has a handsome collar, btw). Is the tie navy?

SJW:
a. Yes, your initial post was mean spirited. I'm quite sure everyone who read it interpreted as such. This is unfortunate, as the topic could be an interesting one. But your tone and subsequent posts made it amply clear that you are far more interested in starting shit than anything else.

b. I've invited you either to continue this via PM or, if you want to discuss boundaries, to do so in Transparent Moderation. You seem interested in neither. Go away.

Edited for reasonableness.
Edited by Claghorn - 5/17/14 at 10:31am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III