• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another First Suit Critique

stratcolby

Reaction score
First time poster, and I just received my first suit and need a critique - it's a textured charcoal-gray Calvin Klein Collection suit that I bought off Gilt Man a week or so ago. Got measured at Nordstrom before making the purchase, they said I was about a 40-41L, so I went with a 52 L (euro size) to be on the safe side.

The suit feels pretty comfortable - I'm about to find my first tailor and have them fix me up, but I figure I'd get some expert advice first so I at least know what to ask for. I don't have an eye for these sorts of things - the one thing I noticed (besides the pants needing to be hemmed) is that the sleeves need to be shortened.

Any other thoughts, suggestions? I'll probably just take it to Nordstrom to get it tailored, unless anyone has any objections. Your feedback is much appreciated, thanks!

fronttnr.jpg
backzz.jpg
pocketsclosed.jpg
casualm.jpg
sidex.jpg

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Welcome.

Pants hemmed, sleeves shortened - as you said. Something is amiss with where your lats are, but I think it's some loose material that can be cleaned up. Shoulders look great.

If it's black get ready for the marsupials to make fun of your black suit. EDIT: it appears to be charcoal - nice.

I like it and think it'll look great with minor (normal) alterations.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
I'll let the real experts critique your fit but will help you out with one thing... never button the bottom button of a suit jacket

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, + 1 for being the first guy in a long friggin time to post clear, well lit photos of a suit that is to be crittiqued.

All in all it looks good except as you mentioned, the sleeves are a touch long. Not bad overall for OTR. Well done.

Col.

Reaction score
you did well sir
no need for me to repeat what the others have mentioned already

stratcolby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
The jacket is way too short, but eerything else looks great.

Is it really? I'm about 6'4, is there any hope for a longer RTW suit? This will have to do for a while.

Thanks for the feedback guys. After reading a little more on SF I think I might've made a slight mistake in going with peak lapels. Would I be able to pull this off as a business suit as well? Or do the peaks make this strictly formal? What about the textured look - is that a matter of taste, or is there a time and a place for that as well? Thanks for your help!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
First and foremost, + 1 for being the first guy in a long friggin time to post clear, well lit photos of a suit that is to be crittiqued.

All in all it looks good except as you mentioned, the sleeves are a touch long. Not bad overall for OTR. Well done.

+1

For a 2 button suit, button the top button.

Artigas

Reaction score
I don't think it's way too short. It covers your rear end completely or nearly so. That's the standard I usually judge by.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU FOR TAKING CLEAR PICTURES.
worship.gif

As you said sleeve length/pant length will need to be adjusted. If I was really nitpicking I would suggest having the back cleaned up but that might just be the way you're standing. Stand relaxed and naturally and take another photo. The material of the jacket should lie smoothly across your shoulder blades. If it doesn't, it needs to be adjusted.

I would suggest taking it to a tailor vs. the alterations department at a department store. Adjusting a jacket is a much more complex operation than hemming some pants.

laphroaig

Reaction score
The button stance is very high on your jacket. I think you're safe buttoning both buttons on this one if you feel like it.

Very nice suit. Perfect jacket length in my opinion.

korektphool

Reaction score
Due to your sizing up, there seems to be some excess material at the back, which I think should be easily cleaned up by a competent tailor. The suit appears to fit well on your shoulders, so good job on that. Apart from that, shorten the sleeves and open the vents of course. Some waist suppression might also work well for you.

However, I feel the style of the suit is terrible: the buttoning point is at least two inches higher than what would look ideal on you. You can't fix this though. (And please unbutton the bottom button!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads