• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First suit advice

spittle8

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting my first suit for my wedding reception in early March. I'm currently overseas so I can't go to a tailor or store in-person and I can't visit local tailors. I've done a bit of reading and am currently favoring Spier & MacKay. I was looking at this suit.
Gray POW check three-piece. $450 using the SIGNUP code. It is half-canvas construction.

After doing more reading, I looked at their made to order suits, and for $650 using the code I can get the same suit sans the suit vest in full canvas. Is this worth paying extra and missing out on the suit vest? I realistically would not wear a suit all that often, maybe once or twice a year.

I also looked into nicer full canvas suits on eBay after looking at the excel guide on this site. Would I be better off getting something like this?
I'm looking for other suits on eBay, but I don't want to miss any cyber Monday/black Friday sales either.

Thanks everyone.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
D’Avenza is leagues above spier in terms of quality. D’Avenza can easily be just as nice as Brioni or Isaia. I own suits from all 3.

That being said, neither of those suits are very versatile in my opinion for a first suit. I’d go solid navy. Still to this day one of my all time favorite suits is the first truly nice suit I ever got for myself - a solid navy Kiton.

You can never go wrong with a solid navy suit. No one will ever go “oh he’s wearing that suit again.”

That being said - if you plan on buying more suits, including a navy, then go with the D’Avenza, they are ludicrously nice. They have made suits for Bijan amongst other stores.

powderbluestanza

Reaction score
I got a gray PoW check suit similar to this for my first good suit, and although I love the suit, after a year or wearing it, the versatility is not great. I second the navy/gray, go for PoW on the 2nd or 3rd suit. Trust me on this.

Reaction score
D’Avenza is leagues above spier in terms of quality. D’Avenza can easily be just as nice as Brioni or Isaia. I own suits from all 3.

That being said, neither of those suits are very versatile in my opinion for a first suit. I’d go solid navy. Still to this day one of my all time favorite suits is the first truly nice suit I ever got for myself - a solid navy Kiton.

You can never go wrong with a solid navy suit. No one will ever go “oh he’s wearing that suit again.”

That being said - if you plan on buying more suits, including a navy, then go with the D’Avenza, they are ludicrously nice. They have made suits for Bijan amongst other stores.
Imo, navy is indeed a very versatile color for suits, and as seperate jacket. But as SUIT, mid-grey is much better, because it's hue-less. So basically, you can blind-pick any colour of shirt/tee/sweater/tie/shoe, and the whole outfit still works.

Technically, black (I know it's a big sartorial no-no)/navy shirt won't work with navy, but mid-gray suits? Chef-kiss, same applies to sweater or turtleneck. You get the idea.

So, if you are thinking about wearing your suits as, suits, and as seperate, then yea get the navy. But if, for functional motive, you want to just put on the suit, and dress up/down by replacing the middle piece, then go for the mid-gray.

Last edited:

endag

Reaction score
Brooks brothers. Medium grey or charcoal. If you're too fat you might not have much luck on eBay. What's your size?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads