• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

jellywerker

Reaction score
I was wondering if it has something to do with widows peaks, shape of skull, etc... I have 5 small peaks, and was wondering if longer hair would look better for me.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
My Dad said, "Oh really? Have you ever felt -70 weather? Because that's what we had up in North Dakota one winter."

Hey King. Meaning no disrespect to your father, but AFAIK North Dakota has never recorded an actual temperature of -70°. Wind chills are regularly in that range. I have lived at this latitude for most of my life and the coldest temperature I have ever seen is -43°F.

One morning this week we set a new daily record of -31°F. The wind chills that morning were in the -70° range.

What constantly amazes me is that even at -31°, life here goes on pretty much as usual. No school or factory closings. Lots of cars on the streets. A testament either to the peoples' fortitude or their (lack of) intelligence.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Hey King. Meaning no disrespect to your father, but AFAIK North Dakota has never recorded an actual temperature of -70°. Wind chills are regularly in that range. I have lived at this latitude for most of my life and the coldest temperature I have ever seen is -43°F.

Yeah, I know. He meant with wind chill factored in, just like the other guy did when he quoted -35 (or was it -40?) degrees. To be honest, I don't remember if my father made that explicit; if not, I think it was implied.

The lowest actual temperature ever recorded in North Dakota was -60 degrees, in 1936.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. He meant with wind chill factored in, just like the other guy did when he quoted -35 (or was it -40?) degrees. To be honest, I don't remember if my father made that explicit; if not, I think it was implied.

The lowest actual temperature ever recorded in North Dakota was -60 degrees, in 1936.

When pondering this, bear in mind that once upon a time people CHOSE to settle there, despite widespread knowledge of places with warmer climates, and more or less equal opportunity to settle in them. Without electricity, heaters, or running water.

I'm just saying, is all. Some may say previous generations were made of tougher stuff than we are today; I say, maybe, maybe not, but for sure they were dumber.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Some may say previous generations were made of tougher stuff than we are today; I say, maybe, maybe not, but for sure they were dumber.

No arguments here, Sauce. My father was in the Air Force at the time, and asked to be assigned somewhere out West (he loves the landscapes of the Western states, has traveled all over). So they stuck him in Minot, North Dakota. Not exactly what he had in mind.

He told me that on the first day of spring (which up there qualifies as "the first day on which the temperature is above freezing"), everyone broke out their shorts to wash their cars.

Then again, I hate the heat, humidity, and sudden violent rainstorms as much as you do. I need to find a good middle ground.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
No arguments here, Sauce. My father was in the Air Force at the time, and asked to be assigned somewhere out West (he loves the landscapes of the Western states, has traveled all over). So they stuck him in Minot, North Dakota. Not exactly what he had in mind.

He told me that on the first day of spring (which up there qualifies as "the first day on which the temperature is above freezing"), everyone broke out their shorts to wash their cars.

Then again, I hate the heat, humidity, and sudden violent rainstorms as much as you do. I need to find a good middle ground.

Well then, let me welcome you to the wild wild West. Specifically, the state that's untouchable (like Eliot Ness).
laugh.gif

Seriously, it's one thing to live in arctic chill when you have indoor plumbing, electricity, and cars with heaters... I can't imagine why the original settlers ever did it, though.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When pondering this, bear in mind that once upon a time people CHOSE to settle there, despite widespread knowledge of places with warmer climates, and more or less equal opportunity to settle in them. Without electricity, heaters, or running water.

I'm just saying, is all. Some may say previous generations were made of tougher stuff than we are today; I say, maybe, maybe not, but for sure they were dumber.

when my grandparents and aunt arrived in montreal from Poland, just ahead of the war breaking out, they put them on a train west, ticketed to Winnepeg. after a few years lugging boxes at a department store, he was offered a position running a general store at an indian reservation, about 100 miles north of winnepeg. his familydidn't have running water or electricity till he retired in the 70's. my mom grew up in those type temperatures, going to an outhouse and washing in well water. but they considered themselves lucky, in comparison to my grandfathers parents and simblings, who didn't get out in time.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'd like to live in a climate that enables me to justify buying a fur coat.

Rachael.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
when my grandparents and aunt arrived in montreal from Poland, just ahead of the war breaking out, they put them on a train west, ticketed to Winnepeg. after a few years lugging boxes at a department store, he was offered a position running a general store at an indian reservation, about 100 miles north of winnepeg. his familydidn't have running water or electricity till he retired in the 70's. my mom grew up in those type temperatures, going to an outhouse and washing in well water. but they considered themselves lucky, in comparison to my grandfathers parents and simblings, who didn't get out in time.

In all seriousness, I really do admire people who have that kind of fortitude. My first winter in Philly, in an apartment with heat that only worked in one room and very poor insulation, was the worst I've ever had it... and the worst that ever got was in the low single digits overnight. My California-raised ass is pretty candy when it really comes down to it.
laugh.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I really do admire people who have that kind of fortitude. My first winter in Philly, in an apartment with heat that only worked in one room and very poor insulation, was the worst I've ever had it... and the worst that ever got was in the low single digits overnight. My California-raised ass is pretty candy when it really comes down to it.
laugh.gif

yeah, I find that it helps whenever I feel like things are hard to think about how rough some people actually have it.

madison avenue

Reaction score
damn slippery roads in the suburbs of New York and my SUV which should be breaking better. I might as well have gotten a sports car. Had to get that off my chest

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
^ picture of 'Shell as a werewolf.

shhh its a secret!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
shhh its a secret!

Your fur is so silky and elegant... wait... what are you doing to that deer?!?!?!

Eww gross.

...can I have a bite?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads