• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Million dollar Guadagnini violin - thrashed!

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I don't remember what it was called. 10-15 is in any case innacurate. It was more like 15-20.

Yea it must be, because that's around when Heifetz died.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Heifetz died in '87. I went to the competitions/recitals in the late '80s/early '90s. I remember going on a trip home in '95. That was the last one I went to.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longfellow wrote this poem about Stradivarius:

"The instrument on which he played
Was in Cremona's workshop made,
By a great master of the past,
Ere yet was lost the art divine;
Fashioned of maple and of pine,
That in Tyrolean forests vast
Had rocked and wrestled with the blast;
Exquisite was it in design,
A marvel of the lutist's art,
Perfect in each minutest part;
And in its hollow chamber thus,
The maker from whose hands it came
Had written his unrivaled name.
Antonius Stradivarius."

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
2008-20 = 1988.. that's all I was saying.

http://www.kleincompetition.org/about.html

that might be what you're talking about (and what I alluded to).

The Klein Competition "has helped to launch the careers of such artists as Alyssa Park, Wendy Warner, Mark Kosower, Jennifer Koh, and Francois Salque." Not exactly household names, those...
tongue.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Jennifer Koh, Vadim Gluzman, Lara St. John, Josh Roman, Denise Djokic, and Lisa Kim? You seem to do an awful lot of research on whatever comes up as the first 3 hits of Google or Wikipedia.
Lara I've heard of... but the rest aren't exactly household names. You, as a violinist, are obviously familiar with them but again, they're not household names like Midori, Sarah Chang, Joshua Bell, Leila Josefowicz, Ann Sophie Mutter, Itzhak Perlman, Hilary Hahn, etc.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Lara I've heard of... but the rest aren't exactly household names. You, as a violinist, are obviously familiar with them but again, they're not household names like Midori, Sarah Chang, Joshua Bell, Leila Josefowicz, Ann Sophie Mutter, Itzhak Perlman, Hilary Hahn, etc.

Yea but they're far from nobodies. They might not be familiar to you, but any season ticket holder in a major city would probably be familiar with Gluzman or Koh (famous for her silver in Tchaikovsky competition). Lisa Kim is in the New York Phil, and Josh Roman was the youngest principle cellist in any American orchestra, and has quit his job to be a soloist.

Those are some fairly successful people.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea but they're far from nobodies. They might not be familiar to you, but any season ticket holder in a major city would probably be familiar with Gluzman or Koh (famous for her silver in Tchaikovsky competition). Lisa Kim is in the New York Phil, and Josh Roman was the youngest principle cellist in any American orchestra, and has quit his job to be a soloist.

Those are some fairly successful people.

They're more B-level than A-level... Never said they were nobodies. Again -- they're not exactly household names...

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea no ****, I know that better than you do, it's just that you copy and pasted names that ARE in fact unknown to even most musicians so I was just pointing out that there are a few people making decent 6 figures a year who are laureates of that small competition.

Ah, I see where you were going now.
cheers.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 19th century was a lowpoint for Italian making. Rocca, Pressenda etc... are really not that great and unecessarily overpriced. The 19th century was very much about French makers, Lupot and then Vuillaume. You can buy a really great Vuillaume for about $200,000 and it will sound better than a lot of run of the mill strads.

Bows are a different market... extremely lucrative and many of them insanely expensive. I've owned 4 different bows in the last 2 years. If I had more money available for that stuff the number would be 3 times that.

Ahha,
This is the key, at least for me. Bows are so under rated. Most lay people have no idea what difference a bow can make, and further, have no idea how much a great bow costs.
When starting out this is the challenge, what do you find first a great bow or great violin?
I opted for a bow, which enabled me to find the right violin down the road.

Bows can effect the sound of an insturment in ways I can not describe.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Ahha,
This is the key, at least for me. Bows are so under rated. Most lay people have no idea what difference a bow can make, and further, have no idea how much a great bow costs.

Bows by François-Xavier Tourte can sell for well into the five-figure or even six-figure range:

Tourte Sales Prices

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on topic -- details of the damage suffered by the Guad:

44426769violin41634a4edjg2.jpg

1. Body has several cracks running top to bottom and around sides
2. Some cracks near f-holes - so-called because of their shape - which release sound vibrations
3. Two cracks have split the soundpost, the top side of the violin
4. And another the bass bar, inside the hollow interior
5. Damage to neck is less serious as it isn't intrinsic to the sound

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads