• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I shorten this coat?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holdfast,

If you have other shorter overcoats, It would be better to keep it long.

The coldest days need the longest overcoats.

believe me, when it is -10°C ( 14°F) outside you'll need it that long

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Post-tailoring result:

dec13007tb0.jpg
dec13006fx0.jpg

(sleeves finished, waist let out slightly, but full-length kept)

I think I'm going to leave it like this for a while and see how it wears. It the length starts to bug me, I'll shorten it; for now I've come round to thinking the extra length is rather fun.

Thanks everyone for pitching in with your thoughts!
bigstar[1].gif

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
sorry man, but your coat is still too long. It would look much better if it was at least 6 inches shorter. Irrespective of the length, it fits you well though.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is a RLPL coat, and I'm pretty sure it is. It was at the Carlsbad Polo outlet last week clearanced for $150 from the retail of $3600. Nice coat, too long.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
/shrug

can't please everyone all the time I guess.
smile.gif

I just wanted to let people know the end of the story to round out the thread.

I'm happy with the length for now as I said; if I get bored of it in future, it's easier to lop off a bit than add more on!
wink.gif

(TWO FEET of fabric???)

PS. rjmaiorano - I like outlets too.... didn't get as good a deal as you saw though!

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
/shrug can't please everyone all the time I guess.
smile.gif
I just wanted to let people know the end of the story to round out the thread. I'm happy with the length for now as I said; if I get bored of it in future, it's easier to lop off a bit than add more on!
wink.gif
(TWO FEET of fabric???) PS. rjmaiorano - I like outlets too.... didn't get as good a deal as you saw though!

I probably would have cut it to look taller. Also, I find any coat that goes beyond the knees makes it difficult to maneuver around in. It is very nice though.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gah, stop telling him to butcher the coat! It's supposed to be long like that, and I'd say it now looks perfect post tailoring.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Gah, stop telling him to butcher the coat! It's supposed to be long like that, and I'd say it now looks perfect post tailoring.

It's too long
smile.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Better pics in the WAYN thread from today.

It was a cold day (well, by UK standards) and I was actually pretty glad to have the extra length.
smile.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aplogies for the threasurrection, but I saw someone on the street in NYC last week wearing this coat, and he had figured out how to wear it well. The length doesn't matter, apparently, just the girth. This fellow was stout to the point of corpulence, and the coat looked like it had been made for him. It seemed to me that his waistlessness made the coat look impressively solid, and that the fabric drew attention away from his weight. So the secret with such a strongly patterned coat is not to alter it, but to fill it.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What you saying, I need to put on weight??
wink.gif

PS: since the thread's now been resurrected, most recent pics of this coat (click to enlarge):

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
What you saying, I need to put on weight??
wink.gif

No - but if you do, uncinch the belt, pop the collar and enjoy the coat even more
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads