1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I shorten this coat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holdfast, Nov 1, 2007.

1. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Holdfast,

If you have other shorter overcoats, It would be better to keep it long.

The coldest days need the longest overcoats.

believe me, when it is -10°C ( 14°F) outside you'll need it that long

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Post-tailoring result:

[​IMG][​IMG]

(sleeves finished, waist let out slightly, but full-length kept)

I think I'm going to leave it like this for a while and see how it wears. It the length starts to bug me, I'll shorten it; for now I've come round to thinking the extra length is rather fun.

Thanks everyone for pitching in with your thoughts! [​IMG]

3. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

sorry man, but your coat is still too long. It would look much better if it was at least 6 inches shorter. Irrespective of the length, it fits you well though.

4. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

If this is a RLPL coat, and I'm pretty sure it is. It was at the Carlsbad Polo outlet last week clearanced for $150 from the retail of $3600. Nice coat, too long.

5. haganah

haganah Senior member

I would have cut off 2 feet of fabric right off that baby.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

/shrug

can't please everyone all the time I guess. [​IMG]

I just wanted to let people know the end of the story to round out the thread.

I'm happy with the length for now as I said; if I get bored of it in future, it's easier to lop off a bit than add more on! [​IMG]

(TWO FEET of fabric???)

PS. rjmaiorano - I like outlets too.... didn't get as good a deal as you saw though!

7. waterpig

waterpig Senior member

It's horrible. You should send it to me. [​IMG]

8. haganah

haganah Senior member

/shrug can't please everyone all the time I guess. [​IMG] I just wanted to let people know the end of the story to round out the thread. I'm happy with the length for now as I said; if I get bored of it in future, it's easier to lop off a bit than add more on! [​IMG] (TWO FEET of fabric???) PS. rjmaiorano - I like outlets too.... didn't get as good a deal as you saw though!
    I probably would have cut it to look taller. Also, I find any coat that goes beyond the knees makes it difficult to maneuver around in. It is very nice though.

9. robin

robin Senior member

Gah, stop telling him to butcher the coat! It's supposed to be long like that, and I'd say it now looks perfect post tailoring.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Gah, stop telling him to butcher the coat! It's supposed to be long like that, and I'd say it now looks perfect post tailoring.

It's too long [​IMG]

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Better pics in the WAYN thread from today.

It was a cold day (well, by UK standards) and I was actually pretty glad to have the extra length. [​IMG]

12. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Aplogies for the threasurrection, but I saw someone on the street in NYC last week wearing this coat, and he had figured out how to wear it well. The length doesn't matter, apparently, just the girth. This fellow was stout to the point of corpulence, and the coat looked like it had been made for him. It seemed to me that his waistlessness made the coat look impressively solid, and that the fabric drew attention away from his weight. So the secret with such a strongly patterned coat is not to alter it, but to fill it.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

What you saying, I need to put on weight?? [​IMG]

PS: since the thread's now been resurrected, most recent pics of this coat (click to enlarge):

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've never seen any problem with that coat. It looks terrific.

15. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

What you saying, I need to put on weight?? [​IMG]

No - but if you do, uncinch the belt, pop the collar and enjoy the coat even more [​IMG]

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I've never seen any problem with that coat. It looks terrific.

Thank you!

No - but if you do, uncinch the belt, pop the collar and enjoy the coat even more [​IMG]

Popping the collar on this one makes me feel like Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon - it's like a massive ruff round my neck!

17. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Popping the collar on this one makes me feel like Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon - it's like a massive ruff round my neck!

You make this sound like it's a bad thing. [​IMG]