• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I shorten this coat?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's all right the way it is, but it could go up as far as just below the knee IMO. If I just had to tell you a length, I'd say take it up to about 1-2" below the knee.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2 or 3 inches below the knee.

Matt B

Reaction score
Hmm, to my eye, the coat just looks too large everywhere. I suppose it would all depend on how the fit feels to you, but I wonder if simply shortening the coat would solve only one sizing issue?

M

kcc

Reaction score
have you sought the expert opinion of your tailor? What'd he say?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt B
Hmm, to my eye, the coat just looks too large everywhere. I suppose it would all depend on how the fit feels to you, but I wonder if simply shortening the coat would solve only one sizing issue?

M

Nah, I can confidently say that isn't the case. It's a _very_ fitted overcoat as it is. I'm wearing a jacket under it in that pic and the shoulders are absolutely perfect, the armholes have just enough movement, the waist is absolutely form-fitting (sorry, I'm no mannequin) and couldn't be suppressed further without me not being able to fit into it. If it looks too large all round, that's down to my size, not the the coat's!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kcc
have you sought the expert opinion of your tailor? What'd he say?

Not yet. I - and my credit card - fears to step back into Ede until I've decided just how much MTM I want to order in their November sale! Besides, this coat is potentially up for sale in the interim (though I'm kinda hoping it doesn't sell). I'll make it into the tailor in the next week or two though... I have another RLPL tweed that also needs finishing as well as a couple of other alterations.
smile.gif

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Nah, I can confidently say that isn't the case. It's a _very_ fitted overcoat as it is. I'm wearing a jacket under it in that pic and the shoulders are absolutely perfect, the armholes have just enough movement, the waist is absolutely form-fitting (sorry, I'm no mannequin) and couldn't be suppressed further without me not being able to fit into it. If it looks too large all round, that's down to my size, not the the coat's!
smile.gif

Not yet. I - and my credit card - fears to step back into Ede until I've decided just how much MTM I want to order in their November sale! Besides, this coat is potentially up for sale in the interim (though I'm kinda hoping it doesn't sell). I'll make it into the tailor in the next week or two though... I have another RLPL tweed that also needs finishing as well as a couple of other alterations.
smile.gif

Don't sell it...it sounds like you really like it! You'll probably regret letting it go.
teacha.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
DO NOT sell this coat.

Unless it's a 46R.

In which case, sell it to me.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Don't sell it...it sounds like you really like it! You'll probably regret letting it go.
teacha.gif

My financial conscience tells me to sell it; my sartorial conscience screams no. It's like Spock and Bones arguing - logic vs emotion. In the end I've gone for a very un-Kirk compromise and am continuing to offer it but with a relatively high asking price!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Douglas
DO NOT sell this coat.

Unless it's a 46R.

In which case, sell it to me.

38R I'm afraid!
wink.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my world, I think only people who are 6'3" or so and up can look good wearing a full length coat. The rest of us are better served wearing coats that are no longer than an inch or two below the knee, but ideally above the knee. Those big coats just swallow you up and they just look like robes.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
In my world, I think only people who are 6'3" or so and up can look good wearing a full length coat. The rest of us are better served wearing coats that are no longer than an inch or two below the knee, but ideally above the knee. Those big coats just swallow you up and they just look like robes.

You may have a point... why can't I wear nice things!
cry.gif

bob

Reaction score
Please shorten and keep it. It looks very nice.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice coat, I'd leave it alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads